Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Mythtv+nexus-s dvb+dish network

barry at arhosting

Mythtv+nexus-s dvb+dish network

Let me start by saying I want to try to do this legally,
I know it is possible to set up dvb-s (nexus-s) pci sat cards to
recieve, and decode dish network programming. The utilities(plugins) to
this are accessable via:
yankse.dvbnetwork.com
These plugins are for progdvb/mytheatre, and any other plugin based
interface., which rely on windows.

Combining this functionality with mythtv would make for the ultimate
home theatre set up. You could subscribe to dish,
and use 3, or 4 nexus-s cards in various mythtv boxes,
and record 3+ shows at a time, or record and watch tv at the same time,
better than even the directivo. The same functionality as the new sony
pvr could be achieved(9 channels recording at the same time) if one
wished, in addition to adding a hdtv, or cable card.(dvb-t, dvb-c)

Has anyone looked at trying to do this, and we can't get rid of the
windows aspect,
can wine be used as a solution. I know wine says that programs run
under wine can call external linux programs.

Let me know if anyone has looked at this,
or is interested. I will begin looking into it.

Barry Smoke
Vice. Pres./lrlug.org

steele at xtcp

Re: Mythtv+nexus-s dvb+dish network [In reply to]

Even if you bought a subscription, technically, you are still breaking
the law by hooking up a nexus-s because it's bypassing the encryption.
The DMCA and the passing of the Broadcast Flag are making this even more
restrictive every day it seems.

There is a solution for VDR (the softcam plugin) to get DN and it would
not be all that difficult to port it to myth. I mentioned it once a
long time ago and it was met with less than enthusiastic support.

Your best bet to legally do this (which really blows IMO) is to hook a
PVR-2/350 up to your echostar box and use lirc to control the channels.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop, LLC.
http://steeleprice.net

Barry Smoke wrote:

> Let me start by saying I want to try to do this legally,
> I know it is possible to set up dvb-s (nexus-s) pci sat cards to
> recieve, and decode dish network programming. The utilities(plugins)
> to this are accessable via:
> yankse.dvbnetwork.com
> These plugins are for progdvb/mytheatre, and any other plugin based
> interface., which rely on windows.
>
> Combining this functionality with mythtv would make for the ultimate
> home theatre set up. You could subscribe to dish,
> and use 3, or 4 nexus-s cards in various mythtv boxes,
> and record 3+ shows at a time, or record and watch tv at the same
> time, better than even the directivo. The same functionality as the
> new sony pvr could be achieved(9 channels recording at the same time)
> if one wished, in addition to adding a hdtv, or cable card.(dvb-t, dvb-c)
>
> Has anyone looked at trying to do this, and we can't get rid of the
> windows aspect,
> can wine be used as a solution. I know wine says that programs run
> under wine can call external linux programs.
>
> Let me know if anyone has looked at this,
> or is interested. I will begin looking into it.
>
> Barry Smoke
> Vice. Pres./lrlug.org

rtjacob at earthlink

Re: Mythtv+nexus-s dvb+dish network [In reply to]

> Even if you bought a subscription, technically, you are still breaking
> the law by hooking up a nexus-s because it's bypassing the encryption.
> The DMCA and the passing of the Broadcast Flag are making this even more
> restrictive every day it seems.

If you purchased a Nagra Cam module for a Nexus-S and Dish Network allowed you to subscribe that
unit, then it would not be illegal. A Nexus-S card does not decrypt signals by itself without
some sort of input. If you used a softcam plug in this would be illegal. If you used a
legitimate cam module then there should be nothing illegal about it.

The biggest problem is that I would imagine you would have is that you would have to get a Card
authorized for each DVB card you had, much like multiple IRDs. There might be some trickery to
get multiple DVB cards to share a CAM though since I believe the time between the key validity
times is typically 10-20 seconds, and I suspect that the cam would return an answer almost
instantly. You might get a better answer on this portion from a European who actually has a CAM
module.

> There is a solution for VDR (the softcam plugin) to get DN and it would
> not be all that difficult to port it to myth. I mentioned it once a
> long time ago and it was met with less than enthusiastic support.

The softcam option is clearly illegal, and for obvious reasons I would imagine that Issac would
never allow something like this to be checked into the CVS tree.

> Your best bet to legally do this (which really blows IMO) is to hook a
> PVR-2/350 up to your echostar box and use lirc to control the channels.

If you could convince Dish Network to subscribe your Nagra Cam module for Nexus-S then you could
do it legally this way.

I am in the midst of making some useful DVB changes (channel scanning, guide pulling, etc) that
would make this even a more desirable option. Good luck though on getting Dish Network to
authorize a smartcard for a piece of equipment they did not sell you.

>> Let me start by saying I want to try to do this legally,
>> I know it is possible to set up dvb-s (nexus-s) pci sat cards to
>> recieve, and decode dish network programming. The utilities(plugins)
>> to this are accessable via:
>> yankse.dvbnetwork.com
>> These plugins are for progdvb/mytheatre, and any other plugin based
>> interface., which rely on windows.
>>
>> Combining this functionality with mythtv would make for the ultimate
>> home theatre set up. You could subscribe to dish,
>> and use 3, or 4 nexus-s cards in various mythtv boxes,
>> and record 3+ shows at a time, or record and watch tv at the same
>> time, better than even the directivo. The same functionality as the
>> new sony pvr could be achieved(9 channels recording at the same time)
>> if one wished, in addition to adding a hdtv, or cable card.(dvb-t, dvb-c)
>>
>> Has anyone looked at trying to do this, and we can't get rid of the
>> windows aspect,
>> can wine be used as a solution. I know wine says that programs run
>> under wine can call external linux programs.
>>
>> Let me know if anyone has looked at this,
>> or is interested. I will begin looking into it.
>>
>> Barry Smoke
>> Vice. Pres./lrlug.org

steele at xtcp

Re: Mythtv+nexus-s dvb+dish network [In reply to]

That's the point... they won't authorize any card not married to their
machines (many of us have been trying to get them to do it for years).
And we wouldn't need anything to support this as Kenneth has already
built in cam support.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop, LLC.