Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Auto Install feature

tom at sagoons

Feb 1, 2003, 8:23 AM

Auto Install feature

How bad would it look if there was a section in the menu you could go to,
to get updates and modules? So it would use your Ethernet connection and
automatically download and install the different modules automatically?
Sorry if it sounds too 'non-techie' but I want my wife to be able to do
this by herself when I get deployed again. Im having a hard time
justifying the money I spent on the box to her :)

nathan at ziarek

Feb 1, 2003, 10:21 AM

RE: Auto Install feature [In reply to]

I don't think anyone is wiling to work on it right now, but I would
guess eventually that is the place it is going to go. Right now it is
kind of a techie/putzing project (although I've had .7 running without
flaw for weeks), but as it gets more and more polished (perhaps to v1
release), I would think the idea of autoupgrading/updating (things like
XMLTV) would be tossed around.

I, of course, just make buttons, so I don't really know what I am
talking about :)

Nate

robert at middleswarth

Feb 1, 2003, 9:37 PM

Re: Auto Install feature [In reply to]

Nathan Ziarek wrote:

>I don't think anyone is wiling to work on it right now, but I would
>guess eventually that is the place it is going to go. Right now it is
>kind of a techie/putzing project (although I've had .7 running without
>flaw for weeks), but as it gets more and more polished (perhaps to v1
>release), I would think the idea of autoupgrading/updating (things like
>XMLTV) would be tossed around.
>
>I, of course, just make buttons, so I don't really know what I am
>talking about :)
>
>Nate

1) Not Really Needed. If you are using something based off of debian or
an RPM based system such as RedHat or Mandrake using apt-get for Deb or
RPM and have it automaticly update packages at X time on everyday.

2) I had already given this some thought and was thinking of making a
install image that was based off of RedHat that would install only what
was needed to make MythTV work. My Idea was to modify the Redhat
Install Program to walk thought MythTV Install. This could be done
with any version of linux not just RedHat but what every dist. you based
off of you would probly have to have some custom pagckage so it would
need to be keep up by a group not just 1 person.

3) A script that would first check if anything is being recorded or will
be recording in say the next 5 to 15 Mins run the update and restart
processes as nessary.

Robert M

dhubbard at dwightandamy

Feb 2, 2003, 9:14 AM

Re: Auto Install feature [In reply to]

> 2) I had already given this some thought and was thinking of making a
> install image that was based off of RedHat that would install only what
> was needed to make MythTV work. My Idea was to modify the Redhat
> Install Program to walk thought MythTV Install. This could be done
> with any version of linux not just RedHat but what every dist. you based
> off of you would probly have to have some custom pagckage so it would
> need to be keep up by a group not just 1 person.

I would think it would be a whole lot easier to use kickstart instead of
messing with the installer.

It wouldn't be to hard to modify the kickstart configurator to generate
the kickstart ks.cfg, append the mythinstall stuff to the post section and
create a new boot.img with the ks.cfg on it. That way it wouldn't require
modifying the installer each time a new redhat is released.