Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Channel Locking Live TV

bfoddy at visi

Feb 1, 2003, 12:57 AM

Channel Locking Live TV

For some time I've been paranoid and very careful about
doing serious timeshifting tv too much because of the very simple
ease to lose the whole show by hitting the wrong button, causing the
ringbuffer to reset. This is especially tricky on my remote control as the
fast forward and change channel buttons are very close and easy to
confuse if you aren't careful.

So feeling a little bored and curious of the source code, I decided
to try and add a simple feature... A Channel Lock. When set by
hitting "L", the Escape key and channel changing keystrokes
are ignored. Hitting "U" unlocks. Simple enough...

As an added feature, I added an OSD display of "Locked" and
"Unlocked" for 5 seconds to inform the user upon activating either
of these keystokes, and also the same display if attemping to
hit the Escape or channel keys (so the user is reminded the
display is locked).

I have include 4 diffs based on version .7. I won't make any claim
if they follow your coding standards, and the OSD display may not
be to your liking, but the changes seem to work.
I haven't fully tested these with every possibility, especially
PIP (no testing in PIP), but they handle the basics.

If you don't feel this feature is apropriate, my feelings won't be hurt.
I realize there are other ways to quickly permanently record the show
so it won't be stored in a volitile ringbuf, but I guess I'm just not
quick with those yet. This is simple but effective.

Keep up the excellent work. I'm looking forward to version .8 and
beyond.

Brian
Attachments: osd.cpp.diff (0.41 KB)
  osd.h.diff (0.53 KB)
  tv.cpp.diff (2.24 KB)
  tv.h.diff (0.57 KB)

bitsy_boffin at cyberdude

Feb 1, 2003, 5:52 AM

Re: Channel Locking Live TV [In reply to]

Brian Foddy wrote:

>For some time I've been paranoid and very careful about
>doing serious timeshifting tv too much because of the very simple
>ease to lose the whole show by hitting the wrong button,

Yes! I do this all the time, busy watching live tv but delayed by maybe
20 or 30 minutes because I paused for a while, ad break comes on, I
forget I'm watching delayed TV and hit the channel up button to surf
while the ads are on, as soon as I've hit the button I realise I've just
ost 20mins of whatever I was watching. ARGH!

>So feeling a little bored and curious of the source code, I decided
>to try and add a simple feature... A Channel Lock. When set by
>hitting "L", the Escape key and channel changing keystrokes
>are ignored. Hitting "U" unlocks. Simple enough...

That's one solution, but I think a better one would be if you are
currently watching with a delay that if you do anything that would lose
the delayed video (change channels, ESC, etc) it should prompt you first
.. "You are watching live tv delayed by x minutes, are you sure you want
to do this ?". I doubt would remember to hit the L key to lock a channel.