Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Move of libhdhomerun to external/

 

 

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Nov 16, 2012, 8:25 AM

Post #1 of 5 (572 views)
Permalink
Move of libhdhomerun to external/

Devs,

I have noted the activity to move externally libs to external/ .
Is there interest in a contribution to move the silicondust
library (libhdhomerun) to external/ ? I have done the
initial code work, and it compiles, but I have not yet
managed to find time to do more than minimal testing,
and I have to build a windows build system to validate
that platform (full disclosure, I do not do windows, so
any testing their may be limited to "it compiles"(*)). The
primary reason I am interested in this is to bring in the
new libhdhomerun libraries which are claimed to improve
some reliability. I would submit two different pull requests
(one for the "rename" and one for the "update").

So, before I spend too much time on this, is there
interest?

Thanks for any feedback.

Gary

(*) I do not suppose you have a set of instructions
available somewhere that indicates what is needed to
build a windows build system? If you do, and can
point me at it, that would be appreciated.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


danielk at cuymedia

Nov 19, 2012, 6:25 AM

Post #2 of 5 (525 views)
Permalink
Re: Move of libhdhomerun to external/ [In reply to]

On 11/16/2012 11:25 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> So, before I spend too much time on this, is there
> interest?

Sure. While your at it it would be nice if hdhomerun_config
built and installed as part of the regular mythtv make process
instead of needing the cd to the directory and run
make -f Makefile.bin
Probably should be called myth_hdhomerun_config though to avoid
conflict with a separately installed version.

> (*) I do not suppose you have a set of instructions
> available somewhere that indicates what is needed to
> build a windows build system? If you do, and can
> point me at it, that would be appreciated.

There is:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows
I have to confess the instructions have never been good enough
for me to build the whole thing and the windows build script
has never worked for me. But if you use for windows yourself
you can probably get past the rough patches better than me.

-- Daniel
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Nov 19, 2012, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 5 (525 views)
Permalink
Re: Move of libhdhomerun to external/ [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson
<danielk [at] cuymedia> wrote:
...
> Sure. While your at it it would be nice if hdhomerun_config
> built and installed
...

I'll do that (probably as a separate commit).

...
> There is:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows
> I have to confess the instructions have never been good enough
> for me to build the whole thing and the windows build script
> has never worked for me. But if you use for windows yourself
> you can probably get past the rough patches better than me.

I have tried them, and there are some missing steps. I am
trying to work through them, but have not gotten it to work
yet. I do not do windows as a rule (I just want to insure that
the changes I have done will not break the build for windows,
since windows is, shall we say, special, and I would feel
foolish submitting something that breaks the windows build).

Thanks.

Gary
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


mario.mailing at gmail

Nov 19, 2012, 5:07 PM

Post #4 of 5 (524 views)
Permalink
Re: Move of libhdhomerun to external/ [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster [at] gmail
> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson
> <danielk [at] cuymedia> wrote:
> ...
> > Sure. While your at it it would be nice if hdhomerun_config
> > built and installed
> ...
>
> I'll do that (probably as a separate commit).
>
> ...
> > There is:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows
> > I have to confess the instructions have never been good enough
> > for me to build the whole thing and the windows build script
> > has never worked for me. But if you use for windows yourself
> > you can probably get past the rough patches better than me.
>
> I have tried them, and there are some missing steps. I am
> trying to work through them, but have not gotten it to work
> yet. I do not do windows as a rule (I just want to insure that
> the changes I have done will not break the build for windows,
> since windows is, shall we say, special, and I would feel
> foolish submitting something that breaks the windows build).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gary
>
> Are you carrying any delta to the HDHR library, or is it literally just
patches to make it integrate with myth?

If it's just integration with myth, would you be open to allowing an
external library to be used as long as it's that version or newer?

It would be nice to be able to optionally decouple the two going forward if
at all possible.


elpinkus at yahoo

Nov 20, 2012, 6:18 AM

Post #5 of 5 (519 views)
Permalink
Re: Move of libhdhomerun to external/ [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----

From: Daniel Thor Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia>
To: Development of MythTV <mythtv-dev [at] mythtv>
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:25 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Move of libhdhomerun to external/

On 11/16/2012 11:25 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> (*) I do not suppose you have a set of instructions
>> available somewhere that indicates what is needed to
>> build a windows build system?  If you do, and can
>> point me at it, that would be appreciated.
>
> There is:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows
> I have to confess the instructions have never been good enough
> for me to build the whole thing and the windows build script
> has never worked for me. But if you use for windows yourself
> you can probably get past the rough patches better than me.
>
> -- Daniel

Building on Windows is fun. The script ( https://raw.github.com/MythTV/packaging/master/Win32/mythbuild.sh ) works, but there's a few issues. From memory:

You need to add a line to float.h to get Qt to build. There's a function called patchmingw32 in the script but it either doesn't work or doesn't get called properly. The script tells you if you need to patch float.h, but doesn't successfully patch it under Windows. Just look at the patchmingw32 function and add the line to float.h manually with a text editor.

The Qt compile freezes and dies. Just Ctrl-C, use Task Manager to kill off any residual copies of make.exe then press up and enter to try again. It can take 3-5 attempts to get through Qt. You only have to do that the first time. No idea why it screws up.

I think I had to use the patches on http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11170 to get MythTV to compile.

MythTV compiles, but the mythbuild.sh script misses some library files when it installs so executable files won't run until you manually copy the missing libraries to mythinstall/win32. I don't remember which ones. Mythfrontend's error message will give you the filenames when you try and run it.

- Peter

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.