Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Import Test Recorder

brendan.fosberry at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 2:46 PM

Import Test Recorder

Hi

I'm attempting to generate a tuner for tivo atm through a mixture of ir
blasting/telnet to schedule recordings on the fly, and curl + tivodecode to
store the files in mythtvs database. All the components look like they
should work however Im having trouble with the Import Test Recorder

I have a dummy tuner for tivo which reads a sample mpg file. Once recording
has finished an event is triggered to replace the recording using curl. The
problem is that tuning times out every time. I have a change channel script
however it seems to fail regardless of whether this is set. I could move
the change channel command into the events however it shouldn't make a
difference. I am assuming this is happening because the Import Test/Demo
Test recorders dont have the correct status changes. Does anyone have any
insight on this?

thanks
Brendan

raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 16, 2012, 2:48 PM

Re: Import Test Recorder [In reply to]

On 8/16/2012 17:46, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm attempting to generate a tuner for tivo atm through a mixture of ir
> blasting/telnet to schedule recordings on the fly, and curl + tivodecode
> to store the files in mythtvs database. All the components look like
> they should work however Im having trouble with the Import Test Recorder
>
> I have a dummy tuner for tivo which reads a sample mpg file. Once
> recording has finished an event is triggered to replace the recording
> using curl. The problem is that tuning times out every time. I have a
> change channel script however it seems to fail regardless of whether
> this is set. I could move the change channel command into the events
> however it shouldn't make a difference. I am assuming this is happening
> because the Import Test/Demo Test recorders dont have the correct status
> changes. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Why can't these shows be recorded directly by MythTV?

brendan.fosberry at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 3:06 PM

Re: Import Test Recorder [In reply to]

Import test recorder is the closest existing tuner type
On Aug 16, 2012 4:48 PM, "Raymond Wagner" <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:

> On 8/16/2012 17:46, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm attempting to generate a tuner for tivo atm through a mixture of ir
>> blasting/telnet to schedule recordings on the fly, and curl + tivodecode
>> to store the files in mythtvs database. All the components look like
>> they should work however Im having trouble with the Import Test Recorder
>>
>> I have a dummy tuner for tivo which reads a sample mpg file. Once
>> recording has finished an event is triggered to replace the recording
>> using curl. The problem is that tuning times out every time. I have a
>> change channel script however it seems to fail regardless of whether
>> this is set. I could move the change channel command into the events
>> however it shouldn't make a difference. I am assuming this is happening
>> because the Import Test/Demo Test recorders dont have the correct status
>> changes. Does anyone have any insight on this?
>>

> Why can't these shows be recorded directly by MythTV?

raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 16, 2012, 3:58 PM

Re: Import Test Recorder [In reply to]

On 8/16/2012 18:06, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
> Import test recorder is the closest existing tuner type
>
> On Aug 16, 2012 4:48 PM, "Raymond Wagner" <raymond [at] wagnerrp
> <mailto:raymond [at] wagnerrp>> wrote:
>
> On 8/16/2012 17:46, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I'm attempting to generate a tuner for tivo atm through a
> mixture of ir
> blasting/telnet to schedule recordings on the fly, and curl +
> tivodecode
> to store the files in mythtvs database. All the components look like
> they should work however Im having trouble with the Import Test
> Recorder
>
> I have a dummy tuner for tivo which reads a sample mpg file. Once
> recording has finished an event is triggered to replace the
> recording
> using curl. The problem is that tuning times out every time. I
> have a
> change channel script however it seems to fail regardless of whether
> this is set. I could move the change channel command into the events
> however it shouldn't make a difference. I am assuming this is
> happening
> because the Import Test/Demo Test recorders dont have the
> correct status
> changes. Does anyone have any insight on this?
>

> Why can't these shows be recorded directly by MythTV?

What I'm trying to say is that Tivos only allow you to export certain
types of material. You can only export analog recordings, ATSC
recordings, or digital cable recordings marked "copy freely". Anything
with any form of DRM is locked to that specific machine, and cannot be
accessed externally for use with the Import Recorder. All three of those
listed types can be recorded directly by MythTV with the proper
hardware. I just don't see the purpose of trying to use a TiVo in this
manner.

brendan.fosberry at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 7:05 PM

Re: Import Test Recorder [In reply to]

I find tivo hardware and scheduling more reliable than mythtv. In the past
I've had jumpy recordings and issues with playback which I am trying to
mitigate with switching to a minimal install and offloading extraneous
recording work. I have a hdpvr and could just use this however then I can't
also watch something on tivo. The hdpvr also has a tendency to freeze and
need restarting. If I schedule and record this way and use the tivo apis to
pull the recording down then I can still watch a show on tivo at the same
time and the entire system is less brittle. I can also make recordings
available throughout the house via minidlna and even back to the tivo.

I have a hdhr prime with a cablecard as well as the tivo however I'm just
insane.

thanks
Brendan