Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Re: mythtv branch master updated by gigem. v0.26-pre-173-g71c65ba

david at istwok

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 07:58:11PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Git Repo Owner <noreply [at] mythtv> wrote:
> > Add recording rule templates.
> > Recording rule templates are used to initialize new recording rules.
> > Templates can also be used to modify existing rules.  The "Default"
> > template replaces several, individual settings previously available in
> > the Setup wizard.  Those settings are automatically propagated to the
> > Default template.
> >
> > Templates can be added, edited and deleted from within the Recording
> > Rules screen.  To add a new template, choose MENU / "New Template" and
> > then enter the name of the new template.  To edit a template,
> > highlight it and then choose ENTER or EDIT to bring up the schedule
> > editor.  To delete a template, highlight it and then choose DELETE or
> > edit it and change the type to "Delete this recording rule template."
>
> I think this is an awesome feature. Unfortunately, I seem to be
> missing something...
>
> When I hit 'M'enu within the Recording Rule screen, the only I option
> I see in the list, is "Use Template". "New Template" is not an
> option. If I click on "Use Template", the only item in the list is
> "Default".
>
> Do I need to do something to get "New Template" to be an option?

It sounds like you're in the Schedule Editor (where you can change the
type and other settings for a single recording rule. That's the only
place the "Use Template" options comes up. The "New Template" menu
option is in the Recording Rules (and Set Priorities) screens. That's
where you have a list of all of your recording rules. They are both
under the "Manage Recordings" screen off the main main menu.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

jppoet at gmail

Re: mythtv branch master updated by gigem. v0.26-pre-173-g71c65ba [In reply to]

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, David Engel <david [at] istwok> wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 07:58:11PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Git Repo Owner <noreply [at] mythtv> wrote:
>> > Add recording rule templates.
>> > Recording rule templates are used to initialize new recording rules.
>> > Templates can also be used to modify existing rules.  The "Default"
>> > template replaces several, individual settings previously available in
>> > the Setup wizard.  Those settings are automatically propagated to the
>> > Default template.
>> >
>> > Templates can be added, edited and deleted from within the Recording
>> > Rules screen.  To add a new template, choose MENU / "New Template" and
>> > then enter the name of the new template.  To edit a template,
>> > highlight it and then choose ENTER or EDIT to bring up the schedule
>> > editor.  To delete a template, highlight it and then choose DELETE or
>> > edit it and change the type to "Delete this recording rule template."
>>
>> I think this is an awesome feature.  Unfortunately, I seem to be
>> missing something...
>>
>> When I hit 'M'enu within the Recording Rule screen, the only I option
>> I see in the list, is "Use Template".  "New Template" is not an
>> option.  If I click on "Use Template", the only item in the list is
>> "Default".
>>
>> Do I need to do something to get "New Template" to be an option?
>
> It sounds like you're in the Schedule Editor (where you can change the
> type and other settings for a single recording rule.  That's the only
> place the "Use Template" options comes up.  The "New Template" menu
> option is in the Recording Rules (and Set Priorities) screens.  That's
> where you have a list of all of your recording rules.  They are both
> under the "Manage Recordings" screen off the main main menu.

Indeed. The only times I have been on that screen in the last year,
was to test theming it. It just did not occur to me, that that was
the screen you meant.

I take it, for the auto-selection to work, that the template name must
match including case. I created a template called "Movie", but it did
not automatically get selected when I added a "Find One" rule for a
"Type: movie". At least when I checked the filters, they did not
match what I had selected in the "Movie" template.

It might be nice to put the template name into a field that the theme
can display in the Schedule Editor, to let the user know which
template has been auto-selected for that rule.

Thanks, David, this is a very useful feature.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

david at istwok

Re: mythtv branch master updated by gigem. v0.26-pre-173-g71c65ba [In reply to]

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 07:18:40PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, David Engel <david [at] istwok> wrote:

> >> I think this is an awesome feature.  Unfortunately, I seem to be
> >> missing something...
> >>
> >> When I hit 'M'enu within the Recording Rule screen, the only I option
> >> I see in the list, is "Use Template".  "New Template" is not an
> >> option.  If I click on "Use Template", the only item in the list is
> >> "Default".
> >>
> >> Do I need to do something to get "New Template" to be an option?
> >
> > It sounds like you're in the Schedule Editor (where you can change the
> > type and other settings for a single recording rule.  That's the only
> > place the "Use Template" options comes up.  The "New Template" menu
> > option is in the Recording Rules (and Set Priorities) screens.  That's
> > where you have a list of all of your recording rules.  They are both
> > under the "Manage Recordings" screen off the main main menu.
>
> Indeed. The only times I have been on that screen in the last year,
> was to test theming it. It just did not occur to me, that that was
> the screen you meant.
>
> I take it, for the auto-selection to work, that the template name must
> match including case. I created a template called "Movie", but it did
> not automatically get selected when I added a "Find One" rule for a
> "Type: movie". At least when I checked the filters, they did not
> match what I had selected in the "Movie" template.

It's supposed to ignore case. Tell me which movie you tried and I'll
see if I can reproduce your problem.

> It might be nice to put the template name into a field that the theme
> can display in the Schedule Editor, to let the user know which
> template has been auto-selected for that rule.

It's already there. An item named "template" is in the InfoMap and
available to themes. See what I did for MythCenter-wide as an
example.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

jppoet at gmail

Re: mythtv branch master updated by gigem. v0.26-pre-173-g71c65ba [In reply to]

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM, David Engel <david [at] istwok> wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 07:18:40PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:

>> > It sounds like you're in the Schedule Editor (where you can change the
>> > type and other settings for a single recording rule.  That's the only
>> > place the "Use Template" options comes up.  The "New Template" menu
>> > option is in the Recording Rules (and Set Priorities) screens.  That's
>> > where you have a list of all of your recording rules.  They are both
>> > under the "Manage Recordings" screen off the main main menu.
>>
>> Indeed.  The only times I have been on that screen in the last year,
>> was to test theming it.  It just did not occur to me, that that was
>> the screen you meant.
>>
>> I take it, for the auto-selection to work, that the template name must
>> match including case.  I created a template called "Movie", but it did
>> not automatically get selected when I added a "Find One" rule for a
>> "Type: movie".  At least when I checked the filters, they did not
>> match what I had selected in the "Movie" template.
>
> It's supposed to ignore case.  Tell me which movie you tried and I'll
> see if I can reproduce your problem.

It is working tonight. Probably user error.

>> It might be nice to put the template name into a field that the theme
>> can display in the Schedule Editor, to let the user know which
>> template has been auto-selected for that rule.
>
> It's already there.  An item named "template" is in the InfoMap and
> available to themes.  See what I did for MythCenter-wide as an
> example.

Awesome! Just added it to Steppes, and it works great. I want to
tweak a few other things in Steppes, so I will take this opportunity,
and push a new version in the next day or so.

Thanks,

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.