Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Re: [mythtv-theming] Advanced Theming Ideas

jyavenard at gmail

On 5 May 2012 06:41, Jay Merrifield <fracmak [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hey, so I was taking a look at one of the older themes in an attempt to
> I thought it might be fun and cool to expose more core functionality as
> widgets. I personally don't like how I have to navigate around to so many
> different menus and screens to get some basic information on what's
> currently happening on my mythtv. I usually just bring up mythweb since it's
> easier/faster to flip around that information
> Upcoming Recordings Widget - Imagine you go to the main menu of your theme,
> and it shows you what the next couple of recordings are, and if there's any
> conflicts, you would see that immediately and be able to highlight the
> problem and bring up the recording editor to fix it.
> Latest Recordings Widget - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have a way
> to show the latest 5 shows that have been loaded/grabbed by the system.
> News/Weather Widget - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have an rss
> scroller and a weather widget that always shows you basic information on the
> home screen
> What's playing now? Expanding the guide grid so you can show a preview of
> your favorite channels and what's playing right now. This preview would
> automatically shift as time went by so it would always show what's playing
> right now +Z hours. This guide grid could be used to either mark a show to
> be recorded, or triggering the live tv to open up and immediately change to
> that channel. Like the current guide grid, it would show what shows were
> being recorded, or any conflicts
> Thoughts? Comments?

I had something similar in mind ; a notification system that let
display information anywhere.
Originally I had in mind something like Growl on a mac

The original aim was to display which song is now playing via airplay,
we now have access to the song name, artist, and album artwork.

But this can be used for many other things, such as displaying the
status of the backend, if a recording is about to start, if a
recording has finished, a commflag job etc..

This wild be like a queue.
Unfortunately, this would require each myth component to send the
relevant notifications.

But how it would be displayed, be it a pop up in a corner, a scrolling
line at the bottom like XBMC does, would be up to the themre
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv