Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs?

 

 

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


hobbes1069 at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 11:51 AM

Post #1 of 6 (522 views)
Permalink
mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs?

I finally updated my system to 0.25 (I know, since I maintain it for
RPM Fusion I should be an earlier adopter, but the WAF takes
precedence).

It seems that mythpreviewgen creates a lot of log files and I can't
see how this helpful.. I only updated last night and I already have:

mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6528.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6533.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6534.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6535.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6538.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210827.6542.log
mythpreviewgen.20120423210830.6607.log
mythpreviewgen.20120424073001.10217.log
mythpreviewgen.20120424080001.10299.log
mythpreviewgen.20120424083001.10419.log
mythpreviewgen.20120424100002.10656.log

Is this intentional?

Thanks,
Richard
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


gjhurlbu at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 12:05 PM

Post #2 of 6 (511 views)
Permalink
Re: mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I finally updated my system to 0.25 (I know, since I maintain it for
> RPM Fusion I should be an earlier adopter, but the WAF takes
> precedence).
>
> It seems that mythpreviewgen creates a lot of log files and I can't
> see how this helpful.. I only updated last night and I already have:
>
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6528.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6533.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6534.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6535.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210826.6538.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210827.6542.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120423210830.6607.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120424073001.10217.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120424080001.10299.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120424083001.10419.log
> mythpreviewgen.20120424100002.10656.log
>
> Is this intentional?

Yes. It is intentional, and it is very helpful when debugging. If
you want to log to only one file, etc, and have to split them up to
report bugs, I would suggest using syslog logging.

Also, the logfiles are easily kept under control with the use of
logrotate (I have a config that works just fine, it was supposed to be
put onto the wiki, but isn't there yet). For debugging, the software,
it really is helpful to have these split out as they are.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


hobbes1069 at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 12:21 PM

Post #3 of 6 (504 views)
Permalink
Re: mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Is this intentional?
>
> Yes.  It is intentional, and it is very helpful when debugging.  If
> you want to log to only one file, etc, and have to split them up to
> report bugs, I would suggest using syslog logging.

I just want to make sure I understand you. I'm not worried about have
one file (mythbackend, mythpreviewgen, etc) in one file. I just
thought it seemed a bit excessive to have generated 11 logs for
mythpreviewgen in less than 24 hours.

Thanks,
Richard
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


gjhurlbu at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 12:29 PM

Post #4 of 6 (501 views)
Permalink
Re: mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> Is this intentional?
>>
>> Yes.  It is intentional, and it is very helpful when debugging.  If
>> you want to log to only one file, etc, and have to split them up to
>> report bugs, I would suggest using syslog logging.
>
> I just want to make sure I understand you. I'm not worried about have
> one file (mythbackend, mythpreviewgen, etc) in one file. I just
> thought it seemed a bit excessive to have generated 11 logs for
> mythpreviewgen in less than 24 hours.

For ease of debugging the individual programs, every run generates a
separate log file. It saves a lot of energy digging through one huge
logfile to find how one run failed. In master, I will be allowing for
override of the logfile names soon, but for now, this is how it is,
and yes, it was very intentional.

And if you only generated 11 in 24h, you must not have as active a
system as mine :) Hehe. I usually am generating more like 20
previews a day.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


hobbes1069 at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 12:33 PM

Post #5 of 6 (504 views)
Permalink
Re: mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I just want to make sure I understand you. I'm not worried about have
>> one file (mythbackend, mythpreviewgen, etc) in one file. I just
>> thought it seemed a bit excessive to have generated 11 logs for
>> mythpreviewgen in less than 24 hours.
>
> For ease of debugging the individual programs, every run generates a
> separate log file.  It saves a lot of energy digging through one huge
> logfile to find how one run failed.  In master, I will be allowing for
> override of the logfile names soon, but for now, this is how it is,
> and yes, it was very intentional.

Fair enough :) I wonder if it would be an acceptable compromise to put
some sort of text in-between runs that would make it easy to segregate
after the fact...

> And if you only generated 11 in 24h, you must not have as active a
> system as mine :)  Hehe.  I usually am generating more like 20
> previews a day.

Nope. Right now I'm only doing OTA ATSC but I'm looking at getting a HDHR Prime.

Thanks,
Richard
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


gjhurlbu at gmail

Apr 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

Post #6 of 6 (504 views)
Permalink
Re: mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Fair enough :) I wonder if it would be an acceptable compromise to put
> some sort of text in-between runs that would make it easy to segregate
> after the fact...

I had considered that, but that is not sufficient as two or more can
be running in parallel. Unless we make a post-processing tool to
de-interleave the logs, this is the simplest way for all.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.