Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Hardware profiler (was: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by wagnerrp. v0.26-pre-109-gc6a6962 )

ctreleaven at cogeco

Hardware profiler (was: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by wagnerrp. v0.26-pre-109-gc6a6962 )

>To: mythtv-commits [at] mythtv, mythtv-firehose [at] mythtv
>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:08:42 +0000 (UTC)
>From: noreply [at] mythtv (Git Repo Owner)
>Subject: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by wagnerrp.
> v0.26-pre-109-gc6a6962
>Sender: mythtv-commits-bounces [at] mythtv
>
>The branch, master has been updated on the
>mythtv repository by gitolite user wagnerrp.
> via c6a6962a86b8436a4687f85d7ba9987c04b09b29 (commit)
> from fe4697cd988676e05be6eae4e5e9582cdd3e532e (commit)
>
>Those revisions listed above that are new to this repository have
>not appeared on any other notification email; so we list those
>revisions in full, below.
>
>- Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
>commit c6a6962a86b8436a4687f85d7ba9987c04b09b29
>Author: Raymond Wagner <rwagner [at] mythtv> at Mon, 23 Apr 2012
>16:03:11 -0400
>Committer: Raymond Wagner <rwagner [at] mythtv> at Mon, 23 Apr 2012
>16:03:11 -0400
>
>Simplify and overcomplicate OS detection for hardware profiler.
>This reworks the OS detection in smolt with a series of helper
>decorators to define tests for different OSs individually, rather than
>through a large conditional loop. Tests are run in order of definition
>as before. This also adds detection for Mythbuntu, FreeBSD, and OSX
>version.

A handful of questions about the hardware profiler as I don't have
0.25 system running at the moment...

1) Will a summary of the information gathered be available outside
the developers?

2) Is this intended to be run on backends, frontends or both?

3) Minor, but has it been tested on OS X? (Given that the Python
bindings won't work.)

Thanks,

Craig

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: Hardware profiler (was: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by wagnerrp. v0.26-pre-109-gc6a6962 ) [In reply to]

http://smolt.mythtv.org/

> 2) Is this intended to be run on backends, frontends or both?

At the moment, it checks whether it is allowed to run (per host), and
when the last time it has been run, when you start the frontend. It
will only run if it has not updated in over a month. It can only be
enabled by going into the frontend configuration wizard. It can be
triggered manually through the backend web server, but the backend does
not automatically run it at this time. I intend to clean up this
behavior for 0.26.

> 3) Minor, but has it been tested on OS X? (Given that the Python
> bindings won't work.)

At the moment, there is actually a specific compile-time check such that
it will only run if on Linux. Smolt was actually written for Fedora,
and MythDora users have been running it for years, but there hasn't been
a whole lot of effort towards collecting similar information from
non-Linux systems.

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Re: Hardware profiler (was: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by wagnerrp. v0.26-pre-109-gc6a6962 ) [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 23:25, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 4/23/2012 17:05, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> 1) Will a summary of the information gathered be available outside the
>> developers?
>

> http://smolt.mythtv.org/

I see a number of "AVG" values reported.

It might be interesting to also see the median
values (actually all the usual statistical values,
but median if I can only get one).

Gary