Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Python scripts, shebangs, and permissions

hobbes1069 at gmail

Python scripts, shebangs, and permissions

I've built some 0.25 test packages for Fedora and decided to run
rpmlint on the resultant packages. The whole log is quite long so I
grep'd through it for specific issues, two of which are:

- Non-executable script
- Script without shebang

These two are basically opposites. In the first the script has a
shebang but is not executable. In the second, the script is executable
but lacks a shebang.

Here's the extending description from rpmlint:
$ rpmlint -I non-executable-script
non-executable-script:
This text file contains a shebang or is located in a path dedicated for
executables, but lacks the executable bits and cannot thus be executed. If
the file is meant to be an executable script, add the executable bits,
otherwise remove the shebang or move the file elsewhere.

$ rpmlint -I script-without-shebang
script-without-shebang:
This text file has executable bits set or is located in a path dedicated for
executables, but lacks a shebang and cannot thus be executed. If the file is
meant to be an executable script, add the shebang, otherwise remove the
executable bits or move the file elsewhere.

I believe all the files in the python site-packages directory should
not be executable but I'm not sure about all the scripts in
/usr/share/mythtv/...

Here's a link for the complete logs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/mythtv-non-executable-script
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/mythtv-script-without-shebang

Thanks,
Richard

raymond at wagnerrp

Re: Python scripts, shebangs, and permissions [In reply to]

On 4/16/2012 17:17, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I've built some 0.25 test packages for Fedora and decided to run
> rpmlint on the resultant packages. The whole log is quite long so I
> grep'd through it for specific issues, two of which are:
>
> - Non-executable script
> - Script without shebang

The current list of executable scripts are...

mythtv/bindings/python/scripts/mythpython
mythtv/bindings/python/scripts/mythwikiscripts
mythtv/contrib/development/mkdummyts.sh
mythtv/contrib/icons/fi_icons_xmltvids/grab_fi_icons_xmltvids
mythtv/contrib/icons/master_iconmap/channel_icons.pl
mythtv/contrib/imports/mirobridge/mirobridge.py
mythtv/contrib/maintanance/flush_deleted_recgroup.pl
mythtv/contrib/maintanance/optimize_mythdb.pl
mythtv/contrib/user_jobs/mythlink.pl
mythtv/programs/scripts/database/mythconverg_backup.pl
mythtv/programs/scripts/database/mythconverg_restore.pl
mythtv/programs/scripts/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/bbciplayer.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/blibtv.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/comedycentral.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/dailymotion.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/hulu.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/mnvsearch.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/mtv.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/nature.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/pbs.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/rev3.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/space.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/technology.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/tedtalks.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/thewb.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/topdocumentaryfilm.pl
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/trailers.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/twit.tv.pl
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/vimeo.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/internetcontent/youtube.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Movie/tmdb.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py
mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py
mythplugins/mytharchive/mythburn/scripts/mythburn.py
mythplugins/mytharchive/mythburn/scripts/testsubtitlepngs.sh
mythplugins/mythgame/contrib/make-to-romdb.pl
mythplugins/mythgame/mythgame/scripts/giantbomb.py
mythplugins/mythgame/mythgame/scripts/maws.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/ca_envcan/envcan.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/ca_envcan/envcan_animaps.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/ca_envcan/envcan_maps.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/no_yrno/yrnoxml.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/uk_bbc/bbccurrentxml.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/uk_bbc/bbcthreedayxml.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/us_nws/ndfd.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/us_nws/ndfd18.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/us_nws/nwsxml.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/wunderground/wunderground-animaps.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/wunderground/wunderground-maps.pl
mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts/wunderground/wunderground.pl

Anything else consists of some form of library that gets loaded, but not
directly run.

hobbes1069 at gmail

Re: Python scripts, shebangs, and permissions [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 17:17, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I've built some 0.25 test packages for Fedora and decided to run
>> rpmlint on the resultant packages. The whole log is quite long so I
>> grep'd through it for specific issues, two of which are:
>>
>> - Non-executable script
>> - Script without shebang
>

> The current list of executable scripts are...
[snip]
> Anything else consists of some form of library that gets loaded, but not
> directly run.

When I have time I may fix them and submit a git diff.

Thanks,
Richard