Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo

mtdean at thirdcontact

Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo

Along with the release of MythTV 0.25, we did some "maintenance" on our
repo that included renaming some of the branches. Those of you who had
cloned our repo have old branch names in your copy, so may want to
re-clone (from same location on github, as described at
http://code.mythtv.org/trac ) to clean up your copy/so you don't carry
around the old names/info.

This shouldn't be necessary for the mythtv or mythweb repos, but it will
clean up your copy a bit.

Note that you will need to take care of moving any "work in progress" or
custom commits or branches to the new repo. Feel free to ask for help
doing so on the mythtv-users list. (There are several good ways of
doing so--depending on what you're moving and how much--so I'll leave
specific descriptions for specific questions. :)

Mike

lists at glidos

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

>Along with the release of MythTV 0.25, we did some "maintenance" on our
>
>repo that included renaming some of the branches. Those of you who had
>
>cloned our repo have old branch names in your copy, so may want to
>re-clone (from same location on github, as described at
>http://code.mythtv.org/trac ) to clean up your copy/so you don't carry
>around the old names/info.

If you've just renamed some branches then running git fetch on cloned repose should do it (plus renaming any local branches). Hopefully its just renaming and you haven't rebased them, right?

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

The extras repository is the only one that has been effectively rebased.
The mythtv one has not been, but recloning would make it easier in general.

lists at glidos

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:

>The extras repository is the only one that has been effectively
>rebased.
>The mythtv one has not been, but recloning would make it easier in
>general.

Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before the renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch will leave them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning, without all the commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or branches of their own then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.

Cheers,
Paul.

torbjorn.jansson at mbox200

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

> Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> >The extras repository is the only one that has been effectively
> >rebased.
> >The mythtv one has not been, but recloning would make it easier in
> >general.
>
> Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before
> the renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch
> will leave them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning,
> without all the commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or
> branches of their own then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.

I'm no expert on git, far from it.
But when I switched from 0.24 fixes to 0.25 fixes I had some extra folders
that was interfering during the compilation.
Was complaining about an include file that as far as I can tell was not
supposed to be used, think it was a leftover plug-in or something.

So I had to do a "git clean -n -d <folder>" to find what it was.
Then later once everything was installed I also had some old themes, like
arclight that was not updated so I ended up removing the whole themes folder
and doing a new make install to get rid of all the old stuff and get a clean
start.

Then I found out I had to download the arclight theme separately and then it
all worked as expected.
So, some minor issues during the upgrade but not too bad and i guess you can
expect some issues.

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

On 12 April 2012 16:45, Torbjörn Jansson
<torbjorn.jansson [at] mbox200> wrote:
> I'm no expert on git, far from it.
> But when I switched from 0.24 fixes to 0.25 fixes I had some extra folders
> that was interfering during the compilation.
> Was complaining about an include file that as far as I can tell was not
> supposed to be used, think it was a leftover plug-in or something.

That could be due to lower vs uppercase name in folders that got mixed
up between 0.24 and 0.25. This wouldn't be an issue on case-sensitive
file sytem, but would definitely have been on OSX or Windows

you had to had to your .git config: core.ignorecase=yes

lists at glidos

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

On 11/04/2012 23:39, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Gavin Hurlbut<gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> The extras repository is the only one that has been effectively
>> rebased.
>> The mythtv one has not been, but recloning would make it easier in
>> general.
>
> Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before the renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch will leave them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning, without all the commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or branches of their own then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.

Sorry, it's "git fetch --prune" that will bring in the new branch names
while removing the old ones.

P.

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists [at] glidos> wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 23:39, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before the
>> renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch will leave
>> them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning, without all the
>> commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or branches of their own
>> then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.

If someone has a clean repo with no additional commits of their own, a
reclone will still do no harm. The only repo that basically requires
that is the extras. The others can be easily dealt with otherwise,
but for newbies, it's *still* easiest to just reclone. If people have
the expertise to do things the other ways, they wouldn't be asking,
would they? :)

And a clone will not lose any commits to their previously cloned repo.

lists at glidos

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

On 12/04/2012 09:08, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Paul Gardiner<lists [at] glidos> wrote:
>> On 11/04/2012 23:39, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> Are you sure that's the best advice? If someone has a repo from before the
>>> renaming, with no additional commits of their own, then git fetch will leave
>>> them with exactly the same result as a fresh cloning, without all the
>>> commits being redownloaded. If they do have commits or branches of their own
>>> then git fetch additionally avoids losing them.
>
> If someone has a clean repo with no additional commits of their own, a
> reclone will still do no harm. The only repo that basically requires
> that is the extras. The others can be easily dealt with otherwise,
> but for newbies, it's *still* easiest to just reclone. If people have
> the expertise to do things the other ways, they wouldn't be asking,
> would they? :)

Fair enough.

> And a clone will not lose any commits to their previously cloned repo.

Yes, but then their previously cloned repo becomes an out-of-date thing
and if they have work in progress they'd probably need to move commits
from the old to the new, which is awkward. git fetch --prune is nice
and simple.

What's the best thing to do with a forked repo on github? I'm guessing:
make sure you have a local clone containing anything you don't want to
lose, delete the forked repo, recreate it and then push anything of
your own from the local copy. Do you know any better way?

Cheers,
Paul.

cloos+mythtv-dev at jhcloos

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

I'm coming to the a bit late, but:

The mythtv.git repo is over 200 MB.

Rather than just say re-clone, it would be better to recommend:

move your old repo out of the way
clone with --reference OLD_REPO
rsync old clone's .git/objects/ over the new clone's .git/objects/
remove the new clone's .git/objects/info/alternates file

That will avoid the massive bandwidth waste of just doing a fresh clone.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos [at] jhcloos> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

gjhurlbu at gmail

Re: Note for people who have cloned MythTV repo [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM, James Cloos
<cloos+mythtv-dev [at] jhcloos> wrote:
> Rather than just say re-clone, it would be better to recommend:
>
>   move your old repo out of the way
>   clone with --reference OLD_REPO
>   rsync old clone's .git/objects/ over the new clone's .git/objects/
>   remove the new clone's .git/objects/info/alternates file
>
> That will avoid the massive bandwidth waste of just doing a fresh clone.

HAHAHAHA.. I am so not going to ask git neophytes to do that ;)
Really, a one-time re-clone isn't the end of the world, and for those
who didn't know how to deal with it, I'm sure they do now. Relax :)