Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

[0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file)

angela.schmid at wolke7

[0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file)

Hello
I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel change for a recording
and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I saw empty files created
prior the crash of mythbackend.
Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.

http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/gdb.txt.zip 9Kb
http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/mythbackend.log.zip 81Kb

Thanks for having a look at the debug logs. Please inform me for other settings/tests.
Cheers Angela

Using the following command:

cat << "EOF" | tee ${HOME}/gdbcommands
handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint
handle SIG33 nostop noprint
set logging on
set pagination off
set breakpoint pending on
break qFatal
set args --syslog local7 --user mythtv -v eit,general --loglevel debug run thread apply all bt full set logging off EOF .
/etc/default/locale gdb /usr/bin/mythbackend -x ${HOME}/gdbcommands

./configure \
--disable-ccache \
--compile-type=debug \
--prefix=/usr \
--extra-cflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
--extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
--disable-altivec \
--disable-audio-oss \
--disable-audio-jack \
--disable-audio-pulseoutput \
--enable-libfftw3 \
--disable-joystick-menu \
--disable-firewire \
--disable-hdhomerun \
--disable-ceton \
--disable-ivtv \
--disable-hdpvr \
--enable-dvb \
--dvb-path=$HOME/dev/ddbridge/media_build_experimental/linux/include \
--disable-vdpau \
--enable-vaapi \
--disable-quartz-video \
--enable-libmp3lame \
--enable-libfaac \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libvpx \
--enable-libxvid \
--disable-altivec \

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file) [In reply to]

On 04/02/2012 04:58 PM, Angela Schmid wrote:
> Hello
> I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel change for a recording
> and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I saw empty files created
> prior the crash of mythbackend.
> Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
> This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.
>
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/gdb.txt.zip 9Kb
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/mythbackend.log.zip 81Kb
>
> Thanks for having a look at the debug logs. Please inform me for other settings/tests.
> Cheers Angela
>
> Using the following command:
>
> cat<< "EOF" | tee ${HOME}/gdbcommands
> handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint
> handle SIG33 nostop noprint
> set logging on
> set pagination off
> set breakpoint pending on
> break qFatal
> set args --syslog local7 --user mythtv -v eit,general --loglevel debug run thread apply all bt full set logging off EOF .
> /etc/default/locale gdb /usr/bin/mythbackend -x ${HOME}/gdbcommands
>

> ./configure \
> --disable-ccache \
> --compile-type=debug \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --extra-cflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
> --extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
> --disable-altivec \
> --disable-audio-oss \
> --disable-audio-jack \
> --disable-audio-pulseoutput \
> --enable-libfftw3 \
> --disable-joystick-menu \
> --disable-firewire \
> --disable-hdhomerun \
> --disable-ceton \
> --disable-ivtv \
> --disable-hdpvr \
> --enable-dvb \
> --dvb-path=$HOME/dev/ddbridge/media_build_experimental/linux/include \
> --disable-vdpau \
> --enable-vaapi \
> --disable-quartz-video \
> --enable-libmp3lame \
> --enable-libfaac \
> --enable-nonfree \
> --enable-libx264 \
> --enable-libvpx \
> --enable-libxvid \
> --disable-altivec \

Haven't looked at the backtrace/log, yet, but your configure line is way
too complex...

Generally, the proper configure line is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-proc-opt

and, possibly, with a --compile-type=profile (where you can change the
prefix value, and maybe the compile type--though profile is a good
choice for nearly everyone). If you want HLS and such, you can use
--enable-libfaac --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid (and, maybe?,
--enable-nonfree, but not if you're redistributing your build).

Your configure line, above, will create a broken MythTV
build--specifically, you should not be using "--disable-audio-oss
--disable-audio-jack --disable-audio-pulseoutput" (OSS should /never/ be
disabled on GNU/Linux systems and is required for proper operation and
--disable-audio-pulseoutput doesn't do what you think it does and JACK
will be disabled automatically if you don't have JACK development
headers installed, and won't hurt anything--nor make MythTV less
efficient or "too big" or anything--if you do leave it enabled).
Similar arguments exist for nearly all of your
--disable-<capture_device> stuff.

That said, I don't know that the issue is related to your configure
line, but using a much simpler configure line would let MythTV's
configure just do the right thing for you (and may make it easier to
help diagnose issues--since we won't have to worry that it's due to
breakage caused by trying to outsmart the configure script). (I'm
guessing you're just specifying /way/ too many USE flags with a Gentoo
build?)

Mike

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file) [In reply to]

On 04/02/2012 04:58 PM, Angela Schmid wrote:
> Hello
> I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel change for a recording
> and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I saw empty files created
> prior the crash of mythbackend.
> Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
> This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.
>
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/gdb.txt.zip 9Kb
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/mythbackend.log.zip 81Kb
>
> Thanks for having a look at the debug logs. Please inform me for other settings/tests.
> Cheers Angela

Angela,

Got a chance to look over the back trace and it's definitely a bug in
our code--the EIT scanner is not being shut down properly and is trying
to change channel on a null TVRec. It may be related to
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10016 , but at this point it makes
sense to just create a new ticket for it. Please attach your log file
and back trace to the ticket (or let me know if it refuses to let you
due to the spam filter--which might not be working properly after the
move to the new server--and I can upload them for you).

Thanks,
Mike

angela.schmid at wolke7

Re: [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file) [In reply to]

> > I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel
> change for a recording
> > and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I
> saw empty files created
> > prior the crash of mythbackend.
> > Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
> > This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.
> >
> Got a chance to look over the back trace and it's definitely a bug in
> our code--the EIT scanner is not being shut down properly and is trying
> to change channel on a null TVRec. It may be related to
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10016 , but at this point it makes
> sense to just create a new ticket for it. Please attach your log file
> and back trace to the ticket (or let me know if it refuses to let you
> due to the spam filter--which might not be working properly after the
> move to the new server--and I can upload them for you).

Great. Both logs uploaded successfully, had to unzip gdb.txt.zip to gdb.txt.

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10541

Thanks
Angela

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file) [In reply to]

On 04/03/2012 01:43 PM, Angela Schmid wrote:
>>> I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel change for a recording and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I saw empty files created prior the crash of mythbackend.
>>> Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
>>> This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.
>> Got a chance to look over the back trace and it's definitely a bug in
>> our code--the EIT scanner is not being shut down properly and is trying
>> to change channel on a null TVRec. It may be related to
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10016 , but at this point it makes
>> sense to just create a new ticket for it. Please attach your log file
>> and back trace to the ticket (or let me know if it refuses to let you
>> due to the spam filter--which might not be working properly after the
>> move to the new server--and I can upload them for you).
> Great. Both logs uploaded successfully, had to unzip gdb.txt.zip to gdb.txt.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10541

Looks good, thanks. Unzipped is easier, anyway, since we can look at
the backtrace directly on trac without having to download and unzip the
file to a local system.

Mike

angela.schmid at wolke7

Re: [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file) [In reply to]

> change for a recording and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every
> second day. Twice I saw empty files created prior the crash of mythbackend.
> >> Got a chance to look over the back trace and it's definitely a bug in
> >> our code--the EIT scanner is not being shut down properly and is trying
> >> to change channel on a null TVRec. It may be related to
> >> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10016 , but at this point it makes
> >> sense to just create a new ticket for it. Please attach your log file
> >> and back trace to the ticket (or let me know if it refuses to let you
> >> due to the spam filter--which might not be working properly after the
> >> move to the new server--and I can upload them for you).
> > Great. Both logs uploaded successfully, had to unzip gdb.txt.zip to gdb.txt.
> >
> > http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10541
>
> Looks good, thanks. Unzipped is easier, anyway, since we can look at
> the backtrace directly on trac without having to download and unzip the
> file to a local system.
>
> Mike

Thanks Angela for pointing to the interference with EIT.
This problem made me crazy and I spent a lot of time. I don't know how many times I upgraded, reconfigured cards and channels.
When I added EIT debugging, since the last two days, I had the same output to confirm this problem. I had six crashes since, every
time when a new bulk of EIT data is processed and a recording starts.
Hope this gets fixed soon as the 0.25 is planned for the 9th and many will be disappointed when Myth crashes and producing empty
recordings.

Silvio

silvio.bontadi at gentlemansclub