Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored

lists at forevermore

Mar 24, 2012, 6:11 PM

NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored

If you are seeing this message, things should be back to normal on the
new-old hardware (rather than the Schedules Direct VM we've been running
on for the last year or so).

-Chris

gnassas at mac

Mar 24, 2012, 7:27 PM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

On 2012-03-24, at 9:11 PM, Chris Petersen wrote:

> If you are seeing this message, things should be back to normal on the new-old hardware (rather than the Schedules Direct VM we've been running on for the last year or so).

So was the non-normal setup the sort of thing that might cause list mails to be rejected? For almost a year I've had periods of a few weeks where apple would bounce all mythtv mail even though other lists were coming in fine. Their support people never able to figure it out and it seems nobody responds to the -admin addresses for theses lists. Eventually things would clear themselves and I'd get mail again until the next blackout ensued.

- George

gjhurlbu at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 7:49 PM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

> So was the non-normal setup the sort of thing that might cause list mails to be rejected? For almost a year I've had periods of a few weeks where apple would bounce all mythtv mail even though other lists were coming in fine. Their support people never able to figure it out and it seems nobody responds to the -admin addresses for theses lists. Eventually things would clear themselves and I'd get mail again until the next blackout ensued.

No, that's Apple being idiots. Yahoo do that at times too. They see
more than a certain number of messages/hr or whatever from an IP and
decide that it's spam. Or an RBL that they depend on doesn't do their
homework and do the same thing.

Get a better mail host :)

gnassas at mac

Mar 24, 2012, 9:59 PM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

On 2012-03-24, at 10:49 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

> No, that's Apple being idiots.

It could be but they were solid for 7 years and list volumes were much much higher during a lot of that time. I guess if there was a mismatch between the sending server's IP and what's in DNS that could merit some bouncing.

I realize this has nothing to do with development but I'm currently suspended in -users due to bounces (again). I'll wait a day for whatever Chris restored to propagate out and reenable delivery again.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

- George

gjhurlbu at gmail

Mar 24, 2012, 10:10 PM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM, George Nassas <gnassas [at] mac> wrote:
> It could be but they were solid for 7 years and list volumes were much much higher during a lot of that time. I guess if there was a mismatch between the sending server's IP and what's in DNS that could merit some bouncing.

There was no mismatch.

> I realize this has nothing to do with development but I'm currently suspended in -users due to bounces (again). I'll wait a day for whatever Chris restored to propagate out and reenable delivery again.

Go ahead and re-enable again. If it disables you again, complain to
Apple. There's nothing we can do to get them to stop acting
anti-socially. They are depending on an RBL that is stupid and
doesn't know the difference between a mailing list and spam, and
although I've sent the RBL a request to unlist us, I have gotten no
response, and don't really expect one. RBLs are a law unto
themselves, and any mail provider that uses them should be ashamed of
themselves, they are only doing their users a disservice in the long
run.

However, we are delivering mail from a different server now, so it may
take some time before the idiotic RBLs decide this IP is bad too.

gnassas at mac

Mar 25, 2012, 9:19 AM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

On 2012-03-25, at 1:10 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

> Go ahead and re-enable again. If it disables you again, complain to
> Apple

Done, done, and done. Twice. There seems to be some distance between their support people and the operations folks but what would really help is one of their bounce messages. Is anyone attached to the various mythtv-*-owner addresses? I realize they are the ones generating the bounces and why don't they grab one on the way out but that doesn't seem to be possible.

As before, apologies for the OT but I hope that whatever info is revealed might be helpful to some future sufferer of bounce suspensions... or even me.

- George

gjhurlbu at gmail

Mar 25, 2012, 3:07 PM

Re: NOTICE: MythTV Server/DNS Restored [In reply to]

> Done, done, and done. Twice. There seems to be some distance between their
> support people and the operations folks but what would really help is one of
> their bounce messages. Is anyone attached to the various mythtv-*-owner
> addresses? I realize they are the ones generating the bounces and why don't
> they grab one on the way out but that doesn't seem to be possible.

I think they have all long been expired from the records, sorry. Let
me know if it happens again, and I'll try to catch one for you.