Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Can't compile MythTV 0.24.2 (tarball) on Fedora 15

marynya at compuserve

Mar 1, 2012, 5:59 AM

Can't compile MythTV 0.24.2 (tarball) on Fedora 15

Make of MythTV 0.24.2 from the tarball fails on the link of libmythtv with:

tv_play.o: file not recognized: File truncated

The file is present but has zero length. Compilation of tv_play.cpp
shows no errors or warnings. In fact there appear to be several
zero-length object files in the libs/libmythtv directory. tv_play.o is
probably the first one which appears in the link list.

Any ideas on why I would get zero-length object files without any
compiler errors?

I had no problems with 0.24.1.

Mike

danielk at cuymedia

Mar 1, 2012, 6:32 AM

Re: Can't compile MythTV 0.24.2 (tarball) on Fedora 15 [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 08:59 -0500, Michael Hughes wrote:
> Make of MythTV 0.24.2 from the tarball fails on the link of libmythtv with:
>
> tv_play.o: file not recognized: File truncated
>
> The file is present but has zero length. Compilation of tv_play.cpp
> shows no errors or warnings. In fact there appear to be several
> zero-length object files in the libs/libmythtv directory. tv_play.o is
> probably the first one which appears in the link list.
>
> Any ideas on why I would get zero-length object files without any
> compiler errors?

You are probably using ccache and the cache is corrupted.

Try this:
make distclean
ccache -C
./configure --prev
nice make -j2 -k

-- Daniel

marynya at compuserve

Mar 1, 2012, 4:42 PM

Re: Can't compile MythTV 0.24.2 (tarball) on Fedora 15 [In reply to]

Daniel

> You are probably using ccache and the cache is corrupted.

Ah, Thanks! I was not aware of ccache; I will get educated.

Now I can't get MythPlugins to build because the QT kit has its headers
in a bunch of subdirectories to /usr/include and the make does not know
how to find them. Is there a way to get these directories added to the
-I option of the compiles? I see references to QT-SUBDIRS but I have
not figured out how it works.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. There are some things I would like
to work on but MythTV is a very intimidating project! It is not easy to
figure out how it all fits together.

Mike

hobbes1069 at gmail

Mar 1, 2012, 5:50 PM

Re: Can't compile MythTV 0.24.2 (tarball) on Fedora 15 [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Michael Hughes <marynya [at] compuserve> wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to reply. There are some things I would like
> to work on but MythTV is a very intimidating project! It is not easy to
> figure out how it all fits together.

Another option would be to use the SRPM from RPM Fusion that I
maintain. Unfortuantly I'm having a problem with the builder and I
can't build for F15 due to configure not finding a perl module that's
actually installed, but that's another story...

Using the SRPM would do two things for you.

1. Show you all the various build options it uses
2. Give you a group of RPMs that install and setup a lot of things for
you (mythweb being one of them, also a sysv init script for F15 and I
think a systemd service file starting with F16...

Richard