Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Question about patch

pgbennett at comcast

Feb 19, 2012, 8:40 AM

Question about patch

I submitted a patch to fix a firewire problem. What is the process for
getting it reviewed and included? What version could it be included in?

Patch ticket:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10277

Peter

raymond at wagnerrp

Feb 19, 2012, 9:53 AM

Re: Question about patch [In reply to]

On 2/19/2012 11:40, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I submitted a patch to fix a firewire problem. What is the process for
> getting it reviewed and included? What version could it be included in?
>
> Patch ticket:
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10277

While I could arguably see this as a bug fix and one that could be
applied to a 'fixes' branch, chances are if someone does look into it,
it will not happen until after the release of 0.25.

In any case, considering you live in the US (Comcast), and your
television shows are marked copy freely (or else firewire wouldn't
work), you will find it considerably more reliable, and considerably
more cost efficient, to replace your multiple cable box rentals with a
single cablecard tuner.

pgbennett at comcast

Feb 19, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Question about patch [In reply to]

On 2/19/2012 12:53 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/19/2012 11:40, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I submitted a patch to fix a firewire problem. What is the process for
>> getting it reviewed and included? What version could it be included in?
>>
>> Patch ticket:
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10277
> While I could arguably see this as a bug fix and one that could be
> applied to a 'fixes' branch, chances are if someone does look into it,
> it will not happen until after the release of 0.25.
>
> In any case, considering you live in the US (Comcast), and your
> television shows are marked copy freely (or else firewire wouldn't
> work), you will find it considerably more reliable, and considerably
> more cost efficient, to replace your multiple cable box rentals with a
> single cablecard tuner.

Actually - I only have one cable box and multiple DVB tuners. Most of
the programs that are on encrypted channels are repeated so that I do
not need multiple cable boxes, programs can just record at a different
time. If I change one cable box to a cable card I will only save about
$2 per month, the way Comcast bills for it (they include the first cable
box at "no charge" and give you a $2 credit for using your own equipment
instead of theirs).

As far as copy freely is concerned, some random channels are restricted
(for example the HD version of FX, the Golf channel, the history channel
and the HD version of one broadcast channel), while on-demand is not
restricted and most other channels are not. This makes it clear to me
that Comcast have not set this up according to any plan, it just
happened by chance. I tried calling them about it and was informed that
all channels are copy protected and I should not use firewire.

So I figure I am on borrowed time here, at some point I will have to get
a HD PVR. Getting a cable card tuner will not get me those copy
restricted channels and the arbitrary way Comcast restrict the channels
will sooner or later prevent me from getting something I want.

Peter