Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec

 

 

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


pgbennett at comcast

Feb 6, 2012, 1:27 PM

Post #1 of 8 (705 views)
Permalink
Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec

I have been irked by this problem for several months now. This seems to
be something that has existed in mythtv for years. At random times, the
linux firewire recorder gets itself into a mode where it is recording
nothing and displaying endless messages:

2011-08-27 14:25:42.175 LFireDev(F45FD447BBFC0000), Warning: No Input in
50 msec...
2011-08-27 14:25:42.299 LFireDev(F45FD447BBFC0000), Warning: No Input in
100 msec...
2011-08-27 14:25:42.374 LFireDev(F45FD447BBFC0000), Warning: No Input in
150 msec...
2011-08-27 14:25:42.450 LFireDev(F45FD447BBFC0000), Warning: No Input in
200 msec...

It never recovers and this continues to fill many megabytes of log file
until the end of the recording time.

For more details see bug log ticket #10277, which has been marked "Won't
fix". (http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10277)

Would it be useful to re-open that ticket and assign it to me?

I have developed the fix and it is working in my setup. It recovers from
the error and loses about half a second of recording.

There is code in the linux firewire driver to do a "bus reset" when
these errors occur. In my setup, this code does not fix the error, in
fact makes it worse by resetting the p2p parameters of the set top box.
Bus reset is optional and can be turned off in the backend
configuration. I have it turned off.

Does anybody know if the "bus reset" serves any purpose. Perhaps with
other set top boxes it may fix this error?

Currently in my patch, if the new code I have developed does not fix the
problem, it allows the bus reset to proceed, and if that also does not
fix the problem within 30 seconds, fails the recording.

Perhaps I should remove the "bus reset" code altogether if it serves no
purpose and my code handles the problem?

I am going to test this for a few weeks and make sure it fixes the
problem consistently and does not cause other problems. I only have one
set top box to test with. Is anybody who uses firewire and has this
problem interested in testing the fix? How do we get it tested on other
set top boxes and other cable tv providers?

Once I have tested it for some time I will post the patch in the ticket
system. In the meantime if anybody wants to test the patch please let me
know.

Peter Bennett

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


danielk at cuymedia

Feb 6, 2012, 1:37 PM

Post #2 of 8 (676 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 16:27 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have been irked by this problem for several months now. This seems to
> be something that has existed in mythtv for years. At random times, the
> linux firewire recorder gets itself into a mode where it is recording
> nothing and displaying endless messages:
<snip>
> Would it be useful to re-open that ticket and assign it to me?

When you are happy with your solution just attach the patch
and mention it in the ticket comments and it will be reopened.

> There is code in the linux firewire driver to do a "bus reset" when
> these errors occur. In my setup, this code does not fix the error, in
> fact makes it worse by resetting the p2p parameters of the set top box.
> Bus reset is optional and can be turned off in the backend
> configuration. I have it turned off.
>
> Does anybody know if the "bus reset" serves any purpose. Perhaps with
> other set top boxes it may fix this error?

The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.

-- Daniel

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


warlord at MIT

Feb 7, 2012, 7:23 AM

Post #3 of 8 (669 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:

> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone

I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
and a bus reset would kill a working recording.

> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.
>
> -- Daniel

-derek

--
Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/ PP-ASEL-IA N1NWH
warlord [at] MIT PGP key available
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 7, 2012, 8:56 AM

Post #4 of 8 (675 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord [at] mit> wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:
>
>> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
>> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
>> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
>> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
>
> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.
>
>> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
>> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.

before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
after initial channel change.

the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
house.


--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
then search the Wiki, and this list,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
Mailinglist etiquette -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


pgbennett at comcast

Feb 7, 2012, 3:56 PM

Post #5 of 8 (666 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord [at] mit> wrote:
>> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:
>>
>>> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
>>> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
>>> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
>>> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
>> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
>> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.
>>
>>> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
>>> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.
> before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
> and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
> firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
> so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
> things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
> a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
> and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
> recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
> after initial channel change.
>
> the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
> and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
> house.
>
>
How do those savings work? I have Comcast and they do not explicitly
charge for the first converter box. They give $2.50 per month credit for
"customer owned equipment".

So it seems to me if I went for Ceton or HD Home Run I would save only
$2.50 per month and lose my access to "on demand". I use the firewire
for encrypted channels and DVB tuners for non-encrypted. Since most
encrypted channels play most shows more than once, this has proved adequate.

With the patch I have developed the firewire seems to be 100% reliable.

Does the Ceton allow all channels to record, or just the ones that cable
company marks "record all"?


_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


pat at flying-gecko

Feb 8, 2012, 5:54 AM

Post #6 of 8 (658 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:56:44PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord [at] mit> wrote:
> >> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:
> >>
> >>> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
> >>> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
> >>> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
> >>> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
> >> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
> >> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.
> >>
> >>> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
> >>> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.
> > before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
> > and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
> > firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
> > so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
> > things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
> > a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
> > and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
> > recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
> > after initial channel change.
> >
> > the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
> > and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
> > house.
> >
> >
> How do those savings work? I have Comcast and they do not explicitly
> charge for the first converter box. They give $2.50 per month credit for
> "customer owned equipment".
>

You save by eliminating the extra boxes.

I can't speak to Comcast, but on FiOS I can reduce costs by almost
$600 per year on box rental fees. I have 5 boxes, one is a HD-DVR,
one is HD and the rest are SD.

> So it seems to me if I went for Ceton or HD Home Run I would save only
> $2.50 per month and lose my access to "on demand". I use the firewire
> for encrypted channels and DVB tuners for non-encrypted. Since most
> encrypted channels play most shows more than once, this has proved adequate.

If you are a on demand user then you would either have to call on the
phone to order the program, or keep a cable box. I have used on demand
maybe three times in 8 years, so this was not a concern for me. YMMV.

>
> With the patch I have developed the firewire seems to be 100% reliable.
>

Good for you. Firewire is still temperamental from my FiOS HD boxes.
(Haven't tried the patch, the Ceton "just works" so I'm going to dump the
firewire all together) FiOS doesn't allow my premium content to record on
firewire either.


> Does the Ceton allow all channels to record, or just the ones that cable
> company marks "record all"?

If the channels are flagged "copy freely" the Ceton will record in Myth.
(If they are marked something else, you could record in Windows with
the Win 7 media center)

On my FiOS feed, everything I pay a regular subscription for is available
on my Ceton card. I have not tried pay per view or on demand.

Pat

--
,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> Patrick Ouellette | Start by doing what's necessary; then do <
> pat(at)flying-gecko.net | what's possible; and suddenly you are doing <
> Amateur Radio: NE4PO | the impossible. -- Francis of Assisi <
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 9, 2012, 7:55 AM

Post #7 of 8 (656 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Patrick Ouellette <pat [at] flying-gecko> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:56:44PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord [at] mit> wrote:
>> >> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:
>> >>
>> >>> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
>> >>> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
>> >>> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
>> >>> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
>> >> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
>> >> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.
>> >>
>> >>> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
>> >>> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.
>> > before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
>> > and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
>> > firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
>> > so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
>> > things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
>> > a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
>> > and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
>> > recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
>> > after initial channel change.
>> >
>> > the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
>> > and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
>> > house.
>> >
>> >
>> How do those savings work? I have Comcast and they do not explicitly
>> charge for the first converter box. They give $2.50 per month credit for
>> "customer owned equipment".
>>
>
> You save by eliminating the extra boxes.
>
> I can't speak to Comcast, but on FiOS I can reduce costs by almost
> $600 per year on box rental fees.  I have 5 boxes, one is a HD-DVR,
> one is HD and the rest are SD.
>
>> So it seems to me if I went for Ceton or HD Home Run I would save only
>> $2.50 per month and lose my access to "on demand". I use the firewire
>> for encrypted channels and DVB tuners for non-encrypted. Since most
>> encrypted channels play most shows more than once, this has proved adequate.
>
> If you are a on demand user then you would either have to call on the
> phone to order the program, or keep a cable box.  I have used on demand
> maybe three times in 8 years, so this was not a concern for me. YMMV.
>
>>
>> With the patch I have developed the firewire seems to be 100% reliable.
>>
>
> Good for you.  Firewire is still temperamental from my FiOS HD boxes.
> (Haven't tried the patch, the Ceton "just works" so I'm going to dump the
> firewire all together)  FiOS doesn't allow my premium content to record on
> firewire either.
>
>
>> Does the Ceton allow all channels to record, or just the ones that cable
>> company marks "record all"?
>
> If the channels are flagged "copy freely" the Ceton will record in Myth.
> (If they are marked something else, you could record in Windows with
> the Win 7 media center)
>
> On my FiOS feed, everything I pay a regular subscription for is available
> on my Ceton card.  I have not tried pay per view or on demand.
>
> Pat

we had 3 cable boxes, the total fees we paid for them was just under
$35/mo, with the Ceton we were able to return all three, and the first
cablecard is free. I paid $200 for the Ceton. I was also able to give
my dad my HDPVR which we no longer required because Comcast fixed the
channels that should have been "copy freely" but were set incorrectly,
but they only were able to do that because of the pushback from
Ceton/HDHRPrime owners. My parents have TimeWarner which refuses to
set to anything other than Copy Once/Never.

If you're able to get channels over firewire you should also be able
to receive them with a Ceton/HDHRPrime, and with none of the hassle.
The added tuners is a bonus as well.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
then search the Wiki, and this list,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
Mailinglist etiquette -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev


lsorense at csclub

Feb 9, 2012, 8:24 AM

Post #8 of 8 (645 views)
Permalink
Re: Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:55:19AM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> we had 3 cable boxes, the total fees we paid for them was just under
> $35/mo, with the Ceton we were able to return all three, and the first
> cablecard is free. I paid $200 for the Ceton. I was also able to give
> my dad my HDPVR which we no longer required because Comcast fixed the
> channels that should have been "copy freely" but were set incorrectly,
> but they only were able to do that because of the pushback from
> Ceton/HDHRPrime owners. My parents have TimeWarner which refuses to
> set to anything other than Copy Once/Never.
>
> If you're able to get channels over firewire you should also be able
> to receive them with a Ceton/HDHRPrime, and with none of the hassle.
> The added tuners is a bonus as well.

That depends on your cable company.

I can receive some things over firewire from my STB, but everything is
encrypted on the cable with no exceptions at all.

This being Canada, there is no cablecard, and there is no requirement
for keep local broadcast channels unencrypted on cable. Rather annoying.

--
Len Sorense
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev

MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.