Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jan 30, 2012, 4:35 PM

On 01/30/2012 07:30 PM, MythTV wrote:
> Author: Michael T. Dean<mdean [at] mythtv>
> Change Date: 2012-01-30T16:26:59-08:00
> Push Date: 2012/01/30 16:29:49 -0800
> Repository: mythtv
> Branch: master
> New Revision: 5e13d41a8eea7faa030a07c9d19ce5efce5dc925
> Changeset: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e13d41a8
>
> Log:
>
> Remove support for GNOME screensaver.
> Therefore, this patch removes the GNOME screensaver legacy inhibit
> support so that users of GNOME screensaver, like users of KDE
> screensaver, will fall back to getting DPMS-based screensaver control.
> If GNOME screensaver, like KDE screensaver, actually takes the hint when
> the DPMS state is changed, this should allow users to once again run
> GNOME screensaver (which has been unsupported since GNOME broke
> gnome-screensaver-command --poke) without the screensaver activating
> during playback. If GNOME screensaver doesn't take a clue from the DPMS
> state, GNOME screensaver should be fixed.

If someone can confirm that GNOME screensaver does not activate during
playback after this change, I'd be happy to "backport" it to
0.24-fixes. Note that the patch should apply to 0.24-fixes, too, so if
you compile MythTV yourself and are using 0.24-fixes, you can test it
without upgrading to unstable/development code.

Mike

warlord at MIT

Jan 31, 2012, 8:36 AM

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery) [In reply to]

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> writes:

>> Remove support for GNOME screensaver.
>> Therefore, this patch removes the GNOME screensaver legacy inhibit
>> support so that users of GNOME screensaver, like users of KDE
>> screensaver, will fall back to getting DPMS-based screensaver control.
>> If GNOME screensaver, like KDE screensaver, actually takes the hint when
>> the DPMS state is changed, this should allow users to once again run
>> GNOME screensaver (which has been unsupported since GNOME broke
>> gnome-screensaver-command --poke) without the screensaver activating
>> during playback. If GNOME screensaver doesn't take a clue from the DPMS
>> state, GNOME screensaver should be fixed.
>
> If someone can confirm that GNOME screensaver does not activate during
> playback after this change, I'd be happy to "backport" it to
> 0.24-fixes. Note that the patch should apply to 0.24-fixes, too, so if
> you compile MythTV yourself and are using 0.24-fixes, you can test it
> without upgrading to unstable/development code.

GNOME Screensaver has other issues in GNOME-3! On my system the
screensaver activates even when the frontend is just sitting at the
menus. So in the morning I have to hit the keyboard to get the screen
to start up at all. I don't know if it honors DPMS; I suspect not
because I thought I turned off DPMS but it still blanks the screen after
an hour of non-use. (This is on Fedora 16)

> Mike

-derek

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
warlord [at] MIT PGP key available

danielk at cuymedia

Jan 31, 2012, 9:07 AM

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery) [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 11:36 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> GNOME Screensaver has other issues in GNOME-3! On my system the
> screensaver activates even when the frontend is just sitting at the
> menus. So in the morning I have to hit the keyboard to get the screen
> to start up at all. I don't know if it honors DPMS; I suspect not
> because I thought I turned off DPMS but it still blanks the screen after
> an hour of non-use. (This is on Fedora 16)

This is a bit off-topic, but important to anyone debugging screensaver
issues.. Xorg has two forms of screen blanking in addition to whatever
the screensavers provide, DPMS and "BlankTime". The latter is not a
power saving mode, it just makes the screen black to avoid burn in.
To disable both you need something like this:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

The actual flags that need to be set depend on the Xorg version. Google
for them if this doesn't work.

-- Daniel

warlord at MIT

Feb 1, 2012, 8:12 AM

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery) [In reply to]

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia> writes:

> This is a bit off-topic, but important to anyone debugging screensaver
> issues.. Xorg has two forms of screen blanking in addition to whatever
> the screensavers provide, DPMS and "BlankTime". The latter is not a
> power saving mode, it just makes the screen black to avoid burn in.
> To disable both you need something like this:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "BlankTime" "0"
> Option "StandbyTime" "0"
> Option "SuspendTime" "0"
> Option "OffTime" "0"
> EndSection
>
> The actual flags that need to be set depend on the Xorg version. Google
> for them if this doesn't work.

Moreover, you can turn off GNOME3's screen blanking via gsettings. This
was the final piece of my screen blanking puzzle. Now my frontend
doesn't blank the screen so I don't need a keyboard to wake it up. Run
this command as the mythtv user:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false