Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h))

jonathan at snetram

Jan 4, 2012, 12:25 PM

On 4-1-2012 16:24, Paul Harrison wrote:
> I really wish I hand the time and motivation to have finished this by
> now but TBH I'm not
> finding the MythTV project to be a very pleasant project to be
> associated with since the
> changing of the guard so to speak or maybe it's just me that changed:(

I am pleased that you have returned from the hiatus and am pleased to
see you still have attention for MythMusic.

> Support LastFM and Spotify APIs
>
> I've not looked at this at all yet. I do know it's been asked about many
> times though.

I am willing to help on this but would need some guidance on that as I
am not very familiar with the MythMusic source (yet).

I have thought about this a little, and was thinking more or less a long
the line of a ScrobbleManager like class that interacts with the
database and maintaince the queue of tracks to scrobble as well as
performing the now playing announcement.

Once a succesfull hadshake is made now playing announcements and
scrobbles can be sent until errors occur that should be handled
according to the LastFM api.

To get that working properly I think we could hook stuff up using some
additional events but I am unsure how to start on this in the current
MythMusic tree.

I am thinking that we would need at least the following signals when:
1. a new track is started, so we can:
a) announce now playing information
b) set a timer to trigger the actual scrobble when eligable
according to the LastFM API.
2. a track is skipped and/or stopped to reset the scrobble timer under
1. b)

I would also need to set up a development system, which I currently not
have, any pointers for that?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

mythtv at sky

Jan 6, 2012, 3:29 PM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 04/01/12 20:25, Jonathan Martens wrote:
> On 4-1-2012 16:24, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Support LastFM and Spotify APIs
>>
>> I've not looked at this at all yet. I do know it's been asked about many
>> times though.
> I am willing to help on this but would need some guidance on that as I
> am not very familiar with the MythMusic source (yet).
>
> I have thought about this a little, and was thinking more or less a long
> the line of a ScrobbleManager like class that interacts with the
> database and maintaince the queue of tracks to scrobble as well as
> performing the now playing announcement.
>
> Once a succesfull hadshake is made now playing announcements and
> scrobbles can be sent until errors occur that should be handled
> according to the LastFM api.
>
> To get that working properly I think we could hook stuff up using some
> additional events but I am unsure how to start on this in the current
> MythMusic tree.
>
> I am thinking that we would need at least the following signals when:
> 1. a new track is started, so we can:
> a) announce now playing information
> b) set a timer to trigger the actual scrobble when eligable
> according to the LastFM API.
> 2. a track is skipped and/or stopped to reset the scrobble timer under
> 1. b)
>
> I would also need to set up a development system, which I currently not
> have, any pointers for that?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jonathan

I must admit I'm still a bit ignorant at exactly what LastFM is to know
how best to integrate it. I've done a little reading of the LastFM
website and api docs. Do I take it you just want to integrate the
scrobbling part of the api?

Paul H.

stuart at tase

Jan 6, 2012, 3:46 PM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Friday 06 Jan 2012 23:29:15 Paul Harrison wrote:
> I must admit I'm still a bit ignorant at exactly what LastFM is to know
> how best to integrate it. I've done a little reading of the LastFM
> website and api docs. Do I take it you just want to integrate the
> scrobbling part of the api?

LastFM is just a flash-based radio service that tailors what is played to each
user based on their likes and dislikes. It's great for discovering new music
or just for listening to some of the music you own when you don't have your
mp3 player to hand. The user has no control over what tracks are played or the
order except to be able to 'skip' to the next item in the playlist. You 'ban'
a track to never hear it again or 'love' a track if you want to to appear in
your playlist more frequently.

You can only listen to the 'radio' via their website, so it cannot be
integrated like Shoutcast etc. It might however be implemented similar to MNV
via MythBrowser, but I'll let someone else decide whether that's worthwhile.

To the best of my knowledge the scrobbling API is the only one we'd reasonably
be interested in. The 'scrobbler' feeds details of your music collection, how
often you play certain tracks and the like back to LastFM to help inform the
playlist choices it makes when you use the service.

They have a really great recommendations API IIRC but until we offer some sort
of download integration* there's no rush to implement that.

(* I've given some thought to integrating services like emusic before now, but
they'll need to improve their API before I do)
--
Stuart Morgan

mythtv at sky

Jan 7, 2012, 2:20 PM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 06/01/12 23:46, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Friday 06 Jan 2012 23:29:15 Paul Harrison wrote:
>> I must admit I'm still a bit ignorant at exactly what LastFM is to know
>> how best to integrate it. I've done a little reading of the LastFM
>> website and api docs. Do I take it you just want to integrate the
>> scrobbling part of the api?
> LastFM is just a flash-based radio service that tailors what is played to each
> user based on their likes and dislikes. It's great for discovering new music
> or just for listening to some of the music you own when you don't have your
> mp3 player to hand. The user has no control over what tracks are played or the
> order except to be able to 'skip' to the next item in the playlist. You 'ban'
> a track to never hear it again or 'love' a track if you want to to appear in
> your playlist more frequently.
>
> You can only listen to the 'radio' via their website, so it cannot be
> integrated like Shoutcast etc. It might however be implemented similar to MNV
> via MythBrowser, but I'll let someone else decide whether that's worthwhile.
>
> To the best of my knowledge the scrobbling API is the only one we'd reasonably
> be interested in. The 'scrobbler' feeds details of your music collection, how
> often you play certain tracks and the like back to LastFM to help inform the
> playlist choices it makes when you use the service.
>
> They have a really great recommendations API IIRC but until we offer some sort
> of download integration* there's no rush to implement that.
>
> (* I've given some thought to integrating services like emusic before now, but
> they'll need to improve their API before I do)

OK thanks Stuart that's made things a lot clearer. Should be fairly easy
to hook the scrobbling into the music player. The authentication looks
like it could be a bit of a pain but nothing we can't handle. Not
something that really interests me though so not high on my todo list
but I'll offer assistance to anyone who want to look at it.

Paul H.

skd5aner at gmail

Jan 8, 2012, 4:10 PM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> On 06/01/12 23:46, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> On Friday 06 Jan 2012 23:29:15 Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> I must admit I'm still a bit ignorant at exactly what LastFM is to know
>>> how best to integrate it. I've done a little reading of the LastFM
>>> website and api docs. Do I take it you just want to integrate the
>>> scrobbling part of the api?
>> LastFM is just a flash-based radio service that tailors what is played to each
>> user based on their likes and dislikes. It's great for discovering new music
>> or just for listening to some of the music you own when you don't have your
>> mp3 player to hand. The user has no control over what tracks are played or the
>> order except to be able to 'skip' to the next item in the playlist. You 'ban'
>> a track to never hear it again or 'love' a track if you want to to appear in
>> your playlist more frequently.
>>
>> You can only listen to the 'radio' via their website, so it cannot be
>> integrated like Shoutcast etc. It might however be implemented similar to MNV
>> via MythBrowser, but I'll let someone else decide whether that's worthwhile.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge the scrobbling API is the only one we'd reasonably
>> be interested in.  The 'scrobbler' feeds details of your music collection, how
>> often you play certain tracks and the like back to LastFM to help inform the
>> playlist choices it makes when you use the service.
>>
>> They have a really great recommendations API IIRC but until we offer some sort
>> of download integration* there's no rush to implement that.
>>
>> (* I've given some thought to integrating services like emusic before now, but
>> they'll need to improve their API before I do)
>
> OK thanks Stuart that's made things a lot clearer. Should be fairly easy
> to hook the scrobbling into the music player. The authentication looks
> like it could be a bit of a pain but nothing we can't handle. Not
> something that really interests me though so not high on my todo list
> but I'll offer assistance to anyone who want to look at it.
>
> Paul H.

I just wanted to add some additional comments about last.fm and as I'm
a user (and fan) of the service and would love to see it integrated
into MythMusic.

Stuart focused primarily on one part of the service, which is their
"streaming" radio capabilities - similar in nature to spotify or
pandora. But in general, I rarely if ever use this feature and most
people would say that's not really what makes last.fm unique
(anymore). Additionally, they do have a recommendation engine - but
I'm not sure if I've really seen players take advantage of that and
leverage it via the API.

What I do leverage is scrobbling - which allows my various players
(itunes, ipod, android, winamp, etc) to send playcounts to my account.
This keeps track of my overall library, and allows me to see
statistics on listening. For example - most played artist this week,
month, year - most played track, etc. There are third party sites
that leverage the API that can take the statistics way beyond what you
can see on the last.fm site. For me, it's pretty fun to see what
trends in listening I have, when I started listening to a new artist,
periods where a particular genre ruled my listening, when I
rediscovered an artist, etc.

As for scrobbling - it's nice because it's a collective of all my
playcounts regardless of player - it would be nice for mythmusic to
join that mix since anything I listen to in there effectively falls
into a black whole as far as my total playcount goes. I think it's
the only player I use on a frequent basis that won't scrobble. If
someone is interested in starting, that's probably the best feature to
try and work on.

Additionally - the API can expose a bunch of metadata on the track,
album, and artist. This could be particularly useful to do things
similar to how metadata and artwork is exposed for videos and
recordings. You could grab pictures of the artist
(http://www.last.fm/api/show?service=407), folksonomy tags, and even
wiki like descriptions of the artist/album/track.

Also, it's come up a few times in the past, but I think there's a huge
potential to leverage various musicbrainz capabilities too. In fact,
last.fm and musicbrainz are re-kindling a long time partnership to
make sure that all the tracks, artists, and albums leverage the MBID.
This helps eliminate ambiguity when both scrobbling as well as
retrieving data. All of my tracks have an MBID, and between
leveraging the last.fm and musicbrainz APIs, you could get just about
any piece of data you could imagine. I think there's a lot of
potential in terms of leveraging MB and last.fm in combination for
tagging and metadata supplementation.

Thanks again for all your hard work on MythMusic so far Paul - I know
it's been a long time coming and there are a lot of people who are
grateful for you contributions!

Thanks!
Matt

skd5aner at gmail

Jan 9, 2012, 10:33 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> [...]
> wiki like descriptions of the artist/album/track.
>
> Also, it's come up a few times in the past, but I think there's a huge
> potential to leverage various musicbrainz capabilities too.  In fact,
> last.fm and musicbrainz are re-kindling a long time partnership to
> make sure that all the tracks, artists, and albums leverage the MBID.
> This helps eliminate ambiguity when both scrobbling as well as
> retrieving data.  All of my tracks have an MBID, and between
> leveraging the last.fm and musicbrainz APIs, you could get just about
> any piece of data you could imagine.  I think there's a lot of
> potential in terms of leveraging MB and last.fm in combination for
> tagging and metadata supplementation.
>
> Thanks again for all your hard work on MythMusic so far Paul - I know
> it's been a long time coming and there are a lot of people who are

BTW - I stumbled across this Qt/C++ library written and supported by
last.fm - https://github.com/mxcl/liblastfm

Matt

mythtv at sky

Jan 14, 2012, 7:27 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 09/01/12 18:33, Matt S. wrote:
> [...]
>> last.fm and musicbrainz are re-kindling a long time partnership to
>> make sure that all the tracks, artists, and albums leverage the MBID.
>> This helps eliminate ambiguity when both scrobbling as well as
>> retrieving data. All of my tracks have an MBID, and between
>> leveraging the last.fm and musicbrainz APIs, you could get just about
>> any piece of data you could imagine. I think there's a lot of
>> potential in terms of leveraging MB and last.fm in combination for
>> tagging and metadata supplementation.
>>
>> Thanks again for all your hard work on MythMusic so far Paul - I know
>> it's been a long time coming and there are a lot of people who are
>> grateful for you contributions!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Matt
> BTW - I stumbled across this Qt/C++ library written and supported by

Yeah thanks for that. There is a lot of interesting stuff we could use
like the recommendations, coverart, fingerprinting, related urls etc.
Their library looks interesting and will make things a little easier to
implement and it uses Qt which we already use anyway. I will probably
look at adding something in the near future but for the moment there are
more important things to finish before 0.25 is out.

Paul H

jonathan at snetram

Jan 17, 2012, 3:34 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 01/06/2012 06:29 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> I must admit I'm still a bit ignorant at exactly what LastFM is to know
> how best to integrate it. I've done a little reading of the LastFM
> website and api docs. Do I take it you just want to integrate the
> scrobbling part of the api?

Sorry for my late reply, but I have been on hiatus for my work.

Yes, perhaps the rest might follow, but I am first and foremost
interested in now playing and scrobbling.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jan 19, 2012, 9:37 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> [...]
>>> tagging and metadata supplementation.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your hard work on MythMusic so far Paul - I know
>>> it's been a long time coming and there are a lot of people who are
>>> grateful for you contributions!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Matt
>> BTW - I stumbled across this Qt/C++ library written and supported by
>> last.fm - https://github.com/mxcl/liblastfm
>>
>> Matt
>
> Yeah thanks for that. There is a lot of interesting stuff we could use
> like the recommendations, coverart, fingerprinting, related urls etc.
> Their library looks interesting and will make things a little easier to
> implement and it uses Qt which we already use anyway. I will probably
> look at adding something in the near future but for the moment there are
> more important things to finish before 0.25 is out.

Paul, slightly off topic, but have you looked at including Spotify
integration into your MythMusic work? I believe it may require a
premium account to play from and there is an open api and library at:
http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
I'd be willing to pay for a few months subscription for you if it is
something you'd be interested in tackling in order to get it working.

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mythtv at comhem

Jan 20, 2012, 12:03 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

2012-01-19 18:37, Steven Adeff wrote:
<snip>

> Paul, slightly off topic, but have you looked at including Spotify
> integration into your MythMusic work? I believe it may require a
> premium account to play from and there is an open api and library at:
> http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
> I'd be willing to pay for a few months subscription for you if it is
> something you'd be interested in tackling in order to get it working.
>
> thanks!

Steven, you have you looked at this project?
http://code.google.com/p/mythspotify/

--
Jonatan

mark.kendall at gmail

Jan 20, 2012, 12:16 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 20 January 2012 08:03, Jonatan <mythtv [at] comhem> wrote:
> 2012-01-19 18:37, Steven Adeff wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Paul, slightly off topic, but have you looked at including Spotify
>> integration into your MythMusic work? I believe it may require a
>> premium account to play from and there is an open api and library at:
>> http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
>> I'd be willing to pay for a few months subscription for you if it is
>> something you'd be interested in tackling in order to get it working.
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> Steven, you have you looked at this project?
> http://code.google.com/p/mythspotify/

For what it's worth, libspotify from Spotify isn't going to be
included in MythTV unless they have a serious rethink of their terms
of use. It also requires each user to register as a developer to
obtain a key - which isn't exactly convenient.

The better solution is http://despotify.se - which is something that
could be included and doesn't require registration.

regards

Mark

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jan 20, 2012, 9:45 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 20 January 2012 08:03, Jonatan <mythtv [at] comhem> wrote:
>> 2012-01-19 18:37, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Paul, slightly off topic, but have you looked at including Spotify
>>> integration into your MythMusic work? I believe it may require a
>>> premium account to play from and there is an open api and library at:
>>> http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
>>> I'd be willing to pay for a few months subscription for you if it is
>>> something you'd be interested in tackling in order to get it working.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>

>> Steven, you have you looked at this project?
>> http://code.google.com/p/mythspotify/
>
> For what it's worth, libspotify from Spotify isn't going to be
> included in MythTV unless they have a serious rethink of their terms
> of use. It also requires each user to register as a developer to
> obtain a key - which isn't exactly convenient.
>
> The better solution is http://despotify.se - which is something that
> could be included and doesn't require registration.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

Jonatan, I have, but it hasn't progressed much, and I was never able
to get it to compile a few weeks ago. It seems like something that
should be part of MythMusic though

Mark, I was unaware of that, but in the end, it would be great to have
Spotify integrated with MythMusic.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

mythtv at sky

Jan 22, 2012, 2:07 PM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On 20/01/12 17:45, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On 20 January 2012 08:03, Jonatan <mythtv [at] comhem> wrote:
>>> 2012-01-19 18:37, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Steven, you have you looked at this project?
>>> http://code.google.com/p/mythspotify/
>> For what it's worth, libspotify from Spotify isn't going to be
>> included in MythTV unless they have a serious rethink of their terms
>> of use. It also requires each user to register as a developer to
>> obtain a key - which isn't exactly convenient.
>>
>> The better solution is http://despotify.se - which is something that
>> could be included and doesn't require registration.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Mark
> Jonatan, I have, but it hasn't progressed much, and I was never able
> to get it to compile a few weeks ago. It seems like something that
> should be part of MythMusic though
>
> Mark, I was unaware of that, but in the end, it would be great to have
> Spotify integrated with MythMusic.

Thanks for the info I've made a note to look at despotify.

Paul H.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 7, 2012, 8:27 AM

Re: MythMusic LastFM support offering support (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 8e2982436 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)) [In reply to]

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] sky> wrote:
> Thanks for the info I've made a note to look at despotify.
>
> Paul H.

rdio.com is another streaming music service similar to spotify, they
too provide an API.