Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

(MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen

emlyn.bolton at gmail

Nov 3, 2011, 8:44 AM

(MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen

Hi guys,

Thanks for merging the changes up to HEAD. I backported the fix to 0.24.1
locally and it works for the remote.

However, there were a number of issues getting that branch to compile for
the AppleTV.

As this device runs 10.4, I'm compiling it on a 10.4 environment. I
managed to get a binary, which runs and works great on the appleTV - apart
from when you want to watch anything.

After starting any sort of recording, I'm presented with a white screen for
video and no overlay menu when I hit escape (atv menu) to get back to the
media library. Also, the playback is very choppy (heard, rather than seen)
with 0.24.1.

I'd like to rectify this and get my aTV working again with mythfrontend, so
if anyone could perhaps point me in the direction of where the rendering
occurs or where the OS X specific display parts are then I could start
investigation in the right area at least.

Any pointers appreciated!

Emlyn

raymond at wagnerrp

Nov 3, 2011, 9:18 AM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 11/3/2011 11:44, Emlyn Bolton wrote:
> As this device runs 10.4, I'm compiling it on a 10.4 environment. I
> managed to get a binary, which runs and works great on the appleTV -
> apart from when you want to watch anything.

Please do understand that the AppleTV is too slow for anything high
definition, and does not have sufficient memory to make mythfrontend
happy. Any significant effort to use an AppleTV for MythTV is going to
need a CrystalHD decoder in place of the wireless chip, and a good deal
of work slimming down MythTV's memory requirements.

emlyn.bolton at gmail

Nov 3, 2011, 9:22 AM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 3 November 2011 09:18, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:

> On 11/3/2011 11:44, Emlyn Bolton wrote:
> > As this device runs 10.4, I'm compiling it on a 10.4 environment. I
> > managed to get a binary, which runs and works great on the appleTV -
> > apart from when you want to watch anything.
>
> Please do understand that the AppleTV is too slow for anything high
> definition, and does not have sufficient memory to make mythfrontend
> happy. Any significant effort to use an AppleTV for MythTV is going to
> need a CrystalHD decoder in place of the wireless chip, and a good deal
> of work slimming down MythTV's memory requirements.

I guess I forgot to mention previously, that all is fine with 0.23.1 in an
SD environment.

I'm really only interested in that for now, but I do have a CrystalHD card
installed in the aTV - but I don't think mythtv currently can use this in
the MacOS version. Please correct me if I'm wrong here - I'd love to make
use of the card if I can...

mark.kendall at gmail

Nov 3, 2011, 10:34 AM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 3 November 2011 15:44, Emlyn Bolton <emlyn.bolton [at] gmail> wrote> Hi guys,
> After starting any sort of recording, I'm presented with a white screen for
> video and no overlay menu when I hit escape (atv menu) to get back to the
> media library. Also, the playback is very choppy (heard, rather than seen)
> with 0.24.1.

Run the frontend with -v playback logging. It will either being using
Quartz for video or OpenGL (it should be fairly obvious). The white
screen problem sounds like an issue with OpenGL rendering on OSX
(which is fixed in master) but you probably want Quartz for that
setup.

(OpenGL should be much better all round in 0.25)

With respect to crystalhd support - try
http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx. It's not something I can
test, so it would be interesting to hear how you get on.

regards

Mark

emlyn.bolton at gmail

Nov 3, 2011, 12:20 PM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 3 November 2011 10:34, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 3 November 2011 15:44, Emlyn Bolton <emlyn.bolton [at] gmail> wrote> Hi
> guys,
> > After starting any sort of recording, I'm presented with a white screen
> for
> > video and no overlay menu when I hit escape (atv menu) to get back to the
> > media library. Also, the playback is very choppy (heard, rather than
> seen)
> > with 0.24.1.
>
> Run the frontend with -v playback logging. It will either being using
> Quartz for video or OpenGL (it should be fairly obvious). The white
> screen problem sounds like an issue with OpenGL rendering on OSX
> (which is fixed in master) but you probably want Quartz for that
> setup.
>
> (OpenGL should be much better all round in 0.25)
>
> With respect to crystalhd support - try
> http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx. It's not something I can
> test, so it would be interesting to hear how you get on.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

I have the CrystalHD drivers and libraries installed and they work (XBMC
tested). I thought I saw in the mythtv configure that it's only included on
linux builds, not darwin ones.

I'll have a look at the diffs in the openGL area between head 0.24.1 and
see if backporting any changes will work... Thanks for the info!

mark.kendall at gmail

Nov 3, 2011, 12:35 PM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 3 November 2011 19:20, Emlyn Bolton <emlyn.bolton [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have the CrystalHD drivers and libraries installed and they work (XBMC
> tested). I thought I saw in the mythtv configure that it's only included on
> linux builds, not darwin ones.

I don't think there's anything linux specific on the configure side. I
could be wrong but that's not how I remember it.

> I'll have a look at the diffs in the openGL area between head 0.24.1 and see
> if backporting any changes will work... Thanks for the info!

I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to backport any opengl changes.
They are numerous and pretty invasive - the issue wasn't just about
OpenGL but also threading behaviour, interaction between the decoder
and player and handling video stream changes.

regards

Mark

nigel at ind

Nov 4, 2011, 12:12 AM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 04/11/2011, at 2:44 AM, Emlyn Bolton wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for merging the changes up to HEAD. I backported the fix to 0.24.1 locally and it works for the remote.

Emlyn, thanks for your patience, and for testing!

Any chance of a clean diff for AppleRemote.cpp and AppleRemote.h, so I can safely(?) backport to 0.24.1

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel [at] ind|"I'm confused."
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | "Well, its a big club,

emlyn.bolton at gmail

Nov 4, 2011, 8:47 AM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 2011-11-04, at 12:12 AM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> On 04/11/2011, at 2:44 AM, Emlyn Bolton wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Thanks for merging the changes up to HEAD. I backported the fix to 0.24.1 locally and it works for the remote.
>

> Emlyn, thanks for your patience, and for testing!
>

> Any chance of a clean diff for AppleRemote.cpp and AppleRemote.h, so I can safely(?) backport to 0.24.1

I can do that - but it'll probably be Monday or so now. I'll also wrap up a patch for compiling against the aTV as it's a fickle beast...

> --
> Nigel Pearson, nigel [at] ind|"I'm confused."
> Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | "Well, its a big club,
> Office: 9202 3900 Fax: 9212 6348 | we should get t-shirts!"
> Mobile: 0408 664435 Home: 9792 6998 |- Doctor Who

emlyn.bolton at gmail

Nov 6, 2011, 1:19 PM

Re: (MacOS X port) Apple TV remote support for 2.3 and others (Ticket 6422) - compile errors / runtime white screen [In reply to]

On 2011-11-04, at 12:12 AM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> On 04/11/2011, at 2:44 AM, Emlyn Bolton wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Thanks for merging the changes up to HEAD. I backported the fix to 0.24.1 locally and it works for the remote.
>

> Emlyn, thanks for your patience, and for testing!
>

> Any chance of a clean diff for AppleRemote.cpp and AppleRemote.h, so I can safely(?) backport to 0.24.1

Well, if it was worth backporting - I'd get one done for you.

During my testing, it turns out that the openGL renderer is utterly broken on the appleTV for 0.24.1+ and I've not got the time to investigate. The logging plugin is not built so I can't even get playback logging and getting the application bundle to work on the aTV is a bit of an art - as the FFmpeg stuff doesn't get built with the paths set to the bundle - it expects to use /usr/local.

If / when I move up to 0.25 then I guess I'll give it another go.