Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Auto Upgrade feature?

nathan at ziarek

Dec 29, 2002, 10:11 AM

Auto Upgrade feature?

As this thing contiunes to evolve, I hesitate to attach it solely to a
TV as I want some of the latest and greatest features.

I was thinking, perhaps after 1 is hit, it might be cool to have Myth
check for an upgraded version and understand how to automatically
upgrade itself (or an upgrade option if you don't want to risk it). I
have no idea of the complexity of this, but it is something TiVo (I'm
pretty sure) has, and something that might make sense for bug fixes etc.

Anyway, just an idea for future projects. I think it'd make it a more
"polished" program. If I'm stuck with a working .7 for the rest of my
days, though, I think I can manage. When it is running, it is damn cool.

Nate

mdz at debian

Dec 29, 2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Auto Upgrade feature? [In reply to]

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:11:51AM -0600, Nathan Ziarek wrote:

> As this thing contiunes to evolve, I hesitate to attach it solely to a
> TV as I want some of the latest and greatest features.
>
> I was thinking, perhaps after 1 is hit, it might be cool to have Myth
> check for an upgraded version and understand how to automatically
> upgrade itself (or an upgrade option if you don't want to risk it). I
> have no idea of the complexity of this, but it is something TiVo (I'm
> pretty sure) has, and something that might make sense for bug fixes etc.
>
> Anyway, just an idea for future projects. I think it'd make it a more
> "polished" program. If I'm stuck with a working .7 for the rest of my
> days, though, I think I can manage. When it is running, it is damn cool.

This is what distribution packages are for. You can do smooth upgrades
already with Debian packages and apt.

--
- mdz

mpayson at dawgdayz

Dec 29, 2002, 6:44 PM

Re: Auto Upgrade feature? [In reply to]

On Sunday 29 December 2002 10:36 am, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:11:51AM -0600, Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> > As this thing contiunes to evolve, I hesitate to attach it solely to a
> > TV as I want some of the latest and greatest features.
> >
> > I was thinking, perhaps after 1 is hit, it might be cool to have Myth
> > check for an upgraded version and understand how to automatically
> > upgrade itself (or an upgrade option if you don't want to risk it). I
> > have no idea of the complexity of this, but it is something TiVo (I'm
> > pretty sure) has, and something that might make sense for bug fixes etc.
> >
> > Anyway, just an idea for future projects. I think it'd make it a more
> > "polished" program. If I'm stuck with a working .7 for the rest of my
> > days, though, I think I can manage. When it is running, it is damn cool.
>
> This is what distribution packages are for. You can do smooth upgrades
> already with Debian packages and apt.

Apt can do this, but it would be a really nice feature for less technical
users. Probably shouldn't be a high priority feature, but I think this would
be a great feature down the road once the project reaches the point where
you'd be comfortable giving one to your grandma.

--
Mike Payson | DawgDayz Dog Walking & Pet Sitting
(206) 280-7295 | www.dawgdayz.com | mpayson [at] dawgdayz