Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

MythTv playback on Windows Vista

ross.jemima at gmail

Oct 11, 2008, 1:39 AM

MythTv playback on Windows Vista

Hi guys,

Has anyone managed to get MythTv to run on Windows in NZ? I have an
Ubuntu backend but would like to watch TV over the network on my Windows
Vista laptop. I've tried compiling MythTV on Windows and found it too
difficult. I've tried MythTV Player but it doesn't seem to open the
audio stream. I'm wondering if its a codec thing.

Rossco

simon at simongreen

Oct 11, 2008, 2:12 AM

Re: MythTv playback on Windows Vista [In reply to]

2008/10/11 Ross and Jemima <ross.jemima [at] gmail>:
> Has anyone managed to get MythTv to run on Windows in NZ? I have an
> Ubuntu backend but would like to watch TV over the network on my Windows
> Vista laptop. I've tried compiling MythTV on Windows and found it too
> difficult. I've tried MythTV Player but it doesn't seem to open the
> audio stream. I'm wondering if its a codec thing.

Haven't tried running Mythtv in Windows (you didn't specific what
version). To see if it is a codec issue (which is my initial guess),
copy the avi directely from your Myth TV box to your Windows box, and
see if it comes with the same error.

-- simon

ross.jemima at gmail

Oct 12, 2008, 1:23 AM

Re: MythTv playback on Windows Vista [In reply to]

Hi Simon,

Windows Vista is what I am running.

At the moment I can play the files through mythweb using VLC media player or Windows Media Player. VLC does the best job and you can deinterlace as well. However some recordings are laggy and drop frames or have audio problems. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I download them to my laptop either. I'm wondering if its some content protection mechanism in Vista that can't process the high def video fast enough. Or it is a codec issue. I've tried the latest stable (4.something) and development versions of Myth Player (5.0) but have the issue with the audio stream not being found. I was just wondering if anyone else is running a windows frontend with FreeviewHD and what they've done. I've also tried running a live-CD of Mythbuntu but it doesn't seem to connect properly either.

Rossco