Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

ffmpeg sync

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All MythTV dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mythtv at grumpydevil

Nov 2, 2007, 3:39 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2007 11:05:13 Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>

>> Thanks a lot! Will you also include the fix-pts-handling.diff patch?
>>

> No, it is incorrect and might break other recordings

Confirmed, i played the same stream (ProSieben from Astra 19.2)
simultanous on two systems. One patched for H.264 and one unpatched.
The second system is not capable of H.264 anyway :)

The unpatched was streaming correctly, the patched was giving micro
freezes and not good watching.

Cheers,

Rudy

reidjr at btconnect

Nov 6, 2007, 12:40 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

Janne Grunau wrote:

>>> No, I would have applied it yesterday but the configure needed some
>>> fixes. I'll apply it monday.
>>>
>> Thanks a lot! Will you also include the fix-pts-handling.diff patch?
>>

> No, it is incorrect and might break other recordings
>

>> That one is pretty essential for good watching :)
>>

> I'll apply a different fix for the problem.
>
> Janne

Great to see the resync in Myth trunk.

Just compiled Head, and wanted to check:

1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded by
default ?)

2) The fix-pts-handling.patch has not been superceeded yet. Currently
with Trunk I can either watch BBC-HD, (with the patch) or Dutch TV
(canal Digitaal) without the patch.

Is the above expected behaviour ?

best regards,

John

Can I just check that the "diffrent fix" is still re

skd5aner at gmail

Nov 6, 2007, 3:21 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On 10/30/07, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 10/28/07, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:
> > On Friday 12 October 2007 02:22:07 Janne Grunau wrote:
> > >
> > > The patch compiles cleanly on x86 and x86_64. Mpeg2 and H.264
> > > recordings seems be without regressions. Plugins compiled fine but
> > > aren't tested.
> >
> > I've refreshed the patch and intend to apply it tuesday evening CET. The
> > significant change is that I've added the AC3 downmix amplification
> > again (#3911).
> >
> > The new patch is at
> >
> > http://www.grunau.be/ffmpeg_sync_10867_14763_0.diff.bz2
> >
> > and applies with -p2 in the mythtv directory.
> >
> > Janne
>

> Janne, just wanted to check with you on something real quick. Last
> sync caused an issue with pre-buffer pauses for some of us that had to
> be patched via #3690 - http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3690.
> Basically, myth was unusable until this patch was put in for me and
> others.
>
> Will this sync cause a regression? Is the problem fixed in the sync
> or is it something that we need to make sure to include with the sync?
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

Janne, now that it's committed, can you comment on my question above?
Has there been a regression of the patch that was committed in 3690?
I'm happy to start testing, but only if the symptops that the last
ffmpeg sync cause aren't showing up again because a fix was
overwritten or something.

I appreciate the work!

Thanks!
Matt

hads at nice

Nov 6, 2007, 3:24 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 12:21:13 Matt wrote:
> Janne, now that it's committed, can you comment on my question above?
> Has there been a regression of the patch that was committed in 3690?
> I'm happy to start testing, but only if the symptops that the last
> ffmpeg sync cause aren't showing up again because a fix was
> overwritten or something.

No issues here.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier

janne-mythtv at grunau

Nov 6, 2007, 10:23 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 00:21:13 Matt wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > Janne, just wanted to check with you on something real quick. Last
> > sync caused an issue with pre-buffer pauses for some of us that had
> > to be patched via #3690 - http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3690.
> > Basically, myth was unusable until this patch was put in for me and
> > others.
> >
> > Will this sync cause a regression? Is the problem fixed in the
> > sync or is it something that we need to make sure to include with
> > the sync?
>
> Janne, now that it's committed, can you comment on my question above?

Sorry, I forgot to answer. No, it shouldn't regress that patch.

Janne

janne-mythtv at grunau

Nov 6, 2007, 10:27 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:40:27 John wrote:

> Great to see the resync in Myth trunk.
>
> Just compiled Head, and wanted to check:
>
> 1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded by
> default ?)

yes, I'll add it with a setttings option soon.

> 2) The fix-pts-handling.patch has not been superceeded yet. Currently
> with Trunk I can either watch BBC-HD, (with the patch) or Dutch TV
> (canal Digitaal) without the patch.
>
> Is the above expected behaviour ?

As both the current code and the patch are incorrect it is expected
behaviour. The fix is almost ready, I try to commit before the weekend.

Janne

reidjr at btconnect

Nov 7, 2007, 9:26 AM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:40:27 John wrote:
>
>> Great to see the resync in Myth trunk.
>>
>> Just compiled Head, and wanted to check:
>>
>> 1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded by
>> default ?)
>>

> yes, I'll add it with a setttings option soon.
>
>> 2) The fix-pts-handling.patch has not been superceeded yet. Currently
>> with Trunk I can either watch BBC-HD, (with the patch) or Dutch TV
>> (canal Digitaal) without the patch.
>>
>> Is the above expected behaviour ?
>>

> As both the current code and the patch are incorrect it is expected
> behaviour. The fix is almost ready, I try to commit before the weekend.
>
> Janne

Excellent,

Is it possible/sensible to add the skiploop option when you add the
multithreaded settings option ? Without making it too hard to
understand, a "play h.264 on slow cpu" option would be nice :-).

thanks again,

John

mario.mailing at gmail

Nov 7, 2007, 1:14 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Nov 7, 2007 12:27 AM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:

> > 1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded by
> > default ?)
>
> yes, I'll add it with a setttings option soon.

I'm not directly familiar with said patch, but can this not be a run time
option that detects SMP and enables multithreaded fun?

andrew.lyon at gmail

Nov 16, 2007, 3:57 PM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Oct 12, 2007 12:04 PM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:

> On Friday 12 October 2007 11:47:57 Nick F wrote:
> > On 10/12/07, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:
> > > the next ffmpeg sync is overdue and working H.264 PAFF (since 9th
> > > of october) in ffmpeg is an exellent opportunity.
> >
> > Great news. A quick (potentially dumb) question before I test the
> > patch tonight. Will this also support MBAFF as used in BBC HD
> > H.264transmissions, or is is just PAFF?
>
> MBAFF is even without the patch supported though MBAFF and spatial
> direct isn't.
>
> > My one, and only, HD station is BBC HD via DVB-S, and I'd love to get
> > it working. I tried last night (before this patch) on trunk svn
> > 14660, and it was 'almost' playing smoothly - so hoping this might
> > push me over the edge.
>
> If it were PAFF the frontend would have segfaulted in seconds. There are
> some general improvements in h264 decoding speed which might be enough,
> the multithreaded decoder scales good as long the stream uses multiple
> slices and and the supported deblocking types.
>
> Janne

Does the multithreaded patch spawn enough threads to load a quad core cpu ?

I notice:

+ int thread_count = 2;

Can that simply be changed to 4 for more threads?

Thanks
Andy

janne-mythtv at grunau

Nov 17, 2007, 2:54 AM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Saturday 17 November 2007 00:57:40 Andrew Lyon wrote:

> Does the multithreaded patch spawn enough threads to load a quad core
> cpu ?
>
> I notice:
>
> + int thread_count = 2;
>
> Can that simply be changed to 4 for more threads?

Yes, but if all threads are used depends on the video stream.

Janne

mythtv at grumpydevil

Nov 19, 2007, 7:41 AM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

Hi Janne,

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:40:27 John wrote:
>
>> Great to see the resync in Myth trunk.
>>
>> Just compiled Head, and wanted to check:
>>
>> 1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded by
>> default ?)
>>

> yes, I'll add it with a setttings option soon.

do not think this one is in yet?
>> 2) The fix-pts-handling.patch has not been superceeded yet. Currently
>> with Trunk I can either watch BBC-HD, (with the patch) or Dutch TV
>> (canal Digitaal) without the patch.
>>
>> Is the above expected behaviour ?
>>

> As both the current code and the patch are incorrect it is expected
> behaviour. The fix is almost ready, I try to commit before the weekend.

I noticed a second ffmeg resync this weekend. Did that also solve this one?

thanks a lot for your effort!

Rudy

janne-mythtv at grunau

Nov 19, 2007, 7:59 AM

Re: ffmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Monday 19 November 2007 16:41:55 Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Janne Grunau wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:40:27 John wrote:
> >> 1) The simple multithread patch is still needed (Single threaded
> >> by default ?)
> >
> > yes, I'll add it with a setttings option soon.
>
> do not think this one is in yet?

no

> >> 2) The fix-pts-handling.patch has not been superceeded yet.
> >> Currently with Trunk I can either watch BBC-HD, (with the patch)
> >> or Dutch TV (canal Digitaal) without the patch.
> >>
> >> Is the above expected behaviour ?
> >
> > As both the current code and the patch are incorrect it is expected
> > behaviour. The fix is almost ready, I try to commit before the
> > weekend.
>
> I noticed a second ffmeg resync this weekend. Did that also solve
> this one?

no, the problem is not in libav* but in our decoder/player code.

Janne

janne-mythtv at grunau

Sep 17, 2008, 11:32 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 18:48:31 John P Poet wrote:

> I installed this patch last night. Tried watching about a dozen
> different shows, all with AC3. Some where ATSC OTA, and some where
> from the HD-PVR. I had zero problems. S/PDIF pass-through worked
> fine, as well as timestretch.

Good to know.

I remembered two issues in the patch. Some AC3 streams doesn't play
correctly anymore. It's reproduceable with ffmpeg, and I've already
identified the commit.

the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.

Janne

jppoet at gmail

Sep 17, 2008, 2:32 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 18:48:31 John P Poet wrote:
>>
>> I installed this patch last night. Tried watching about a dozen
>> different shows, all with AC3. Some where ATSC OTA, and some where
>> from the HD-PVR. I had zero problems. S/PDIF pass-through worked
>> fine, as well as timestretch.
>
> Good to know.
>
> I remembered two issues in the patch. Some AC3 streams doesn't play
> correctly anymore. It's reproduceable with ffmpeg, and I've already
> identified the commit.
>
> the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
> This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
> exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.
>
> Janne

I have not tried 1080i H.264. I have been avoiding it because of all
the segfaults. I will try to remember to give that a shot tonight
with the new code, to see if it is improved.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

jppoet at gmail

Sep 17, 2008, 5:51 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM, John P Poet <jppoet [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 18:48:31 John P Poet wrote:
>>>
>>> I installed this patch last night. Tried watching about a dozen
>>> different shows, all with AC3. Some where ATSC OTA, and some where
>>> from the HD-PVR. I had zero problems. S/PDIF pass-through worked
>>> fine, as well as timestretch.
>>
>> Good to know.
>>
>> I remembered two issues in the patch. Some AC3 streams doesn't play
>> correctly anymore. It's reproduceable with ffmpeg, and I've already
>> identified the commit.
>>
>> the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
>> This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
>> exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.
>>
>> Janne
>
> I have not tried 1080i H.264. I have been avoiding it because of all
> the segfaults. I will try to remember to give that a shot tonight
> with the new code, to see if it is improved.

Even with this patch applied, trying to watch 1080i HD-PVR generated
h.264 material causes mythfrontend to crash, right after:

2008-09-17 18:46:35.049 [h264 @ 0xb7375180]Cannot parallelize
deblocking type 1, decoding such frames in sequential order

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

paul at kcbbs

Sep 17, 2008, 10:20 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Thursday 18 September 2008 06:32:54 Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 18:48:31 John P Poet wrote:
> > I installed this patch last night. Tried watching about a dozen
> > different shows, all with AC3. Some where ATSC OTA, and some where
> > from the HD-PVR. I had zero problems. S/PDIF pass-through worked
> > fine, as well as timestretch.
>
> Good to know.
>
> I remembered two issues in the patch. Some AC3 streams doesn't play
> correctly anymore. It's reproduceable with ffmpeg, and I've already
> identified the commit.
>
> the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
> This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
> exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.

The fix you are talking about is for ffmpeg ticket #427 I assume?

If this is the case, then it works very well for us here in NZ where we have
many interlaced channels.

> Janne
Paul

janne-mythtv at grunau

Sep 18, 2008, 3:20 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Thursday 18 September 2008 07:20:18 Paul Kendall wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 06:32:54 Janne Grunau wrote:
> >
> > the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced
> > streams. This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A
> > fix/workaround exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.
>
> The fix you are talking about is for ffmpeg ticket #427 I assume?

yes

janne-mythtv at grunau

Sep 18, 2008, 11:09 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Thursday 18 September 2008 19:56:59 Steven Adeff wrote:

> anyone know if this fixes the DTS audio in mkv file issue? I've been
> having to play my DTS movies in mplayer via mythvideo instead of
> using the internal. Of course, that was after mplayer/ffmpeg put the
> fix in for this...

was the fix included in ffmpeg? do you know which revision or when the
patch was committed?

Janne

erik at hovland

Sep 18, 2008, 12:35 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:51:39PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > I have not tried 1080i H.264. I have been avoiding it because of all
> > the segfaults. I will try to remember to give that a shot tonight
> > with the new code, to see if it is improved.
>
> Even with this patch applied, trying to watch 1080i HD-PVR generated
> h.264 material causes mythfrontend to crash, right after:
>
> 2008-09-17 18:46:35.049 [h264 @ 0xb7375180]Cannot parallelize
> deblocking type 1, decoding such frames in sequential order

I have a few patches that attempt to fix defects in h264.c in ffmpeg
trunk. I have no idea if they will help the problem you keep running
into, but they are attached to this email if you want to give them a
try.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik [at] hovland
web: http://hovland.org/
PGP/GPG public key available on request
Attachments: h264.c-sorted-can-be-used-uninitialized (0.95 KB)
  h264.c-h264_parser.h-is-not-required (0.46 KB)
  h264.c-current_picture_ptr-might-be-null (1.21 KB)
  h264.c-prevent-overrun-of-chroma_dc_total_zeros_vlc (0.60 KB)

jppoet at gmail

Sep 18, 2008, 9:33 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Erik Hovland <erik [at] hovland> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:51:39PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
>> > I have not tried 1080i H.264. I have been avoiding it because of all
>> > the segfaults. I will try to remember to give that a shot tonight
>> > with the new code, to see if it is improved.
>>
>> Even with this patch applied, trying to watch 1080i HD-PVR generated
>> h.264 material causes mythfrontend to crash, right after:
>>
>> 2008-09-17 18:46:35.049 [h264 @ 0xb7375180]Cannot parallelize
>> deblocking type 1, decoding such frames in sequential order
>
> I have a few patches that attempt to fix defects in h264.c in ffmpeg
> trunk. I have no idea if they will help the problem you keep running
> into, but they are attached to this email if you want to give them a
> try.

Thanks Erik. Your patches *may* make it more stable, but I am still
getting crashes. They do seem to be less frequent, though.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to come up with some back traces.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

mark.buechler at gmail

Sep 19, 2008, 6:27 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

Hi

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM, John P Poet <jppoet [at] gmail> wrote:

> >> Even with this patch applied, trying to watch 1080i HD-PVR generated
> >> h.264 material causes mythfrontend to crash, right after:
> >>
> >> 2008-09-17 18:46:35.049 [h264 @ 0xb7375180]Cannot parallelize
> >> deblocking type 1, decoding such frames in sequential order
> >
> > I have a few patches that attempt to fix defects in h264.c in ffmpeg
> > trunk. I have no idea if they will help the problem you keep running
> > into, but they are attached to this email if you want to give them a
> > try.
>
> Thanks Erik. Your patches *may* make it more stable, but I am still
> getting crashes. They do seem to be less frequent, though.
>
> If I have time this weekend, I will try to come up with some back traces.
>
> John

John, I have the feeling your segfaults are during the deblocking phase.
Have you tried applying the skiploop patch? Though that wouldn't obviously
be the fix, it may get you past your issue.

- Mark.

janne-mythtv at grunau

Sep 20, 2008, 7:41 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 20:32:54 Janne Grunau wrote:

> the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
> This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
> exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.

updated patch, contains above mentioned patch:

http://www.grunau.be/mythtv_ffmpeg_sync_15261_18339.diff.bz2

Janne

jppoet at gmail

Sep 20, 2008, 3:45 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 20:32:54 Janne Grunau wrote:
>>
>> the H.264 loop filter causes reliable crashes for interlaced streams.
>> This is unfortunately not reproduceable in ffmpeg. A fix/workaround
>> exist but I'm not sure if it is correct.
>
> updated patch, contains above mentioned patch:
>
> http://www.grunau.be/mythtv_ffmpeg_sync_15261_18339.diff.bz2
>

> Janne

Gave this latest patch a spin.

Good news, I have not had it crash with 1080i material since. Note,
that I also applied Erik's patches.

Bad news, picture quality is poor. Lots of macro-blocking when ever I
jump around. I also have to go with a "low power" de-interlacer
because my machine is not fast enough to use greedy or yadif with
HD-PVR 1080i material, and that definitely hurts the video quality.

Also, the audio is not synced with the video, and skipping back a
little does not fix it, like it does with 720p material.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Janne.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

ylee at pobox

Sep 21, 2008, 12:08 PM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> says:
> http://www.grunau.be/mythtv_ffmpeg_sync_15261_18339.diff.bz2

Speaking of your patches: Janne, which of your currently-available
ffmpeg_sync patches (if any) suitable for updating the version
included with 0.21-fixes?

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> | San Francisco CA US

janne-mythtv at grunau

Sep 22, 2008, 4:26 AM

Re: FFmpeg sync [In reply to]

On Sunday 21 September 2008 21:08:27 Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv [at] grunau> says:
> > http://www.grunau.be/mythtv_ffmpeg_sync_15261_18339.diff.bz2
>
> Speaking of your patches: Janne, which of your currently-available
> ffmpeg_sync patches (if any) suitable for updating the version
> included with 0.21-fixes?

no, but you could probably ask Paul Kendall for his patch.

If your just intersted in h264 playback fixes, you could give
http://www.grunau.be/h264_sync_fixes.diff a try. I'll intend to apply
that soon.

Janne