Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb)

lists at forevermore

Feb 14, 2007, 11:34 PM

Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb)

Yes, you heard me right. I'm looking for someone (or someones) with
experience dealing with Flash, and Flash Video in particular. I am
hoping to get flv streaming added to MythWeb for .21 (no release date,
so I'm hoping this means we have a bit of time).

I am currently testing things with:

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_Video_Player

It's open source (creative commons license), but because of it's "no
commercial" and "require attribution" requirements, it is not GPL
compatible, so I can't include it with MythWeb. It also has a number of
shortcomings that I would like to be able to include in MythWeb.

Aside from the standard list of things like auto-resize, auto-play, etc.
supported by flvplayer.swf, my want list includes:

* Option for auto-download (different from auto-play)
* Progress bar that updates based on what's been downloaded instead
of just what's already been played (youtube does this).

There are probably more that I just can't think of at the moment.

Eventually, I would also like to be able to include LiveTV support, so
there would also need to be some interaction with MythWeb to get channel
lists, send channel-change commands, etc. But that would come after
getting basic video streaming functional.

-Chris
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)

mythtv at moasat

Feb 15, 2007, 4:11 AM

Re: Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb) [In reply to]

What about this: http://flowplayer.sourceforge.net/

I've used it and hacked away at it a little bit. I'm no Flash developer but
I was able to get the features I needed in there pretty easily.

Its released under the Apache License V2.0.

lists at forevermore

Feb 15, 2007, 9:36 AM

Re: Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb) [In reply to]

Moasat wrote:
> What about this: http://flowplayer.sourceforge.net/
>
> I've used it and hacked away at it a little bit. I'm no Flash developer but
> I was able to get the features I needed in there pretty easily.
>
> Its released under the Apache License V2.0.

Other people have also recommended this one. It looks cool, but alas,
its license is also not compatible with the GPL.

-Chris
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)

mikal at stillhq

Feb 15, 2007, 9:18 PM

Re: Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb) [In reply to]

Chris Petersen wrote:
> Yes, you heard me right. I'm looking for someone (or someones) with
> experience dealing with Flash, and Flash Video in particular. I am
> hoping to get flv streaming added to MythWeb for .21 (no release date,
> so I'm hoping this means we have a bit of time).

[snip]

What about using ogg, and then the player used on this page?

http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/317

It's called Cortado, and it's GPLed:

http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/

Mikal

lists at forevermore

Feb 16, 2007, 12:57 AM

Re: [mythtv-users] Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb) [In reply to]

Michael Still wrote:
> What about using ogg, and then the player used on this page?
>
> http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/317
>
> It's called Cortado, and it's GPLed:
>
> http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/

Well, mainly because it would require people to install a new plugin,
but also because it would leave out the many people who have asked me to
add Flash support so they can use their Wiis for playback.

Once streaming is supported in the backend, it won't really make much of
a difference what format people want to stream with, and there will be
many options in MythWeb, but flash will be the first.