Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic

wseltzer at gmail

Feb 4, 2007, 7:33 PM

Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic

I've been looking at ways to pull more information into the MythMusic
displays, and see that Wikipedia has an impressive number of classical
composers. It's probably even better with popular artists. Seems like a
good source for more background while browsing or playing music.

So far, I've added the years of the composer's life and death (where
applicable) and a Wikipedia URL to the database. Preliminary patch and
database update at <http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/artistinfo.tgz>.

As well as using that information as another display or sort option, I was
thinking of pulling up the composer's Wikipedia entry as a visualizer, if I
can prod MythBrowser into cooperating. Has anyone tried anything similar?
Any other thoughts or interest?

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer
http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/ <http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/>

jra at baylink

Feb 4, 2007, 7:54 PM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:33:08PM -0500, Wendy Seltzer wrote:
> I've been looking at ways to pull more information into the MythMusic
> displays, and see that Wikipedia has an impressive number of classical
> composers. It's probably even better with popular artists. Seems like a
> good source for more background while browsing or playing music.
> So far, I've added the years of the composer's life and death (where
> applicable) and a Wikipedia URL to the database. Preliminary patch and
> database update at <[1] http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/artistinfo.tgz>.
> As well as using that information as another display or sort option, I was
> thinking of pulling up the composer's Wikipedia entry as a visualizer, if I
> can prod MythBrowser into cooperating. Has anyone tried anything similar?
> Any other thoughts or interest?

"Microformats".

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra [at] baylink
Designer Baylink RFC 2100

wseltzer at gmail

Feb 10, 2007, 10:41 AM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

Artistinfo iteration 2 allows you to hit "W" while listening to a
track to pull up MythBrowser with the Artist's Wikipedia page.
(Requires MythBrowser; minor keybinding patch to MythBrowser included
to enable you to dismiss it with another press of "W".) Once
compiled, these keys are configurable on the MythWeb keybindings
screen.

<http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/artistinfo-v2.tgz> has patches to
MythMusic and MythBrowser, plus a bit of perl and sql to add a bit of
Wikipedia info to the database. The browser function should work even
if you haven't added the wikipedia column to your database, though it
may be less likely to find matching entries. Should apply against svn
12759.

Thanks for the pointer to Amarok. Lots of interesting info there. I
don't have the programming chops or time to remote-enable that though,
so I'm going to stick with trying to bring a few extra features to
MythMusic, where I've got a reasonably optimized system for browsing
my classical collection through the TV screen.

--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer
http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 10, 2007, 12:37 PM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

On 2/10/07, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer [at] gmail> wrote:
> Artistinfo iteration 2 allows you to hit "W" while listening to a
> track to pull up MythBrowser with the Artist's Wikipedia page.
> (Requires MythBrowser; minor keybinding patch to MythBrowser included
> to enable you to dismiss it with another press of "W".) Once
> compiled, these keys are configurable on the MythWeb keybindings
> screen.
>
> <http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/artistinfo-v2.tgz> has patches to
> MythMusic and MythBrowser, plus a bit of perl and sql to add a bit of
> Wikipedia info to the database. The browser function should work even
> if you haven't added the wikipedia column to your database, though it
> may be less likely to find matching entries. Should apply against svn
> 12759.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to Amarok. Lots of interesting info there. I
> don't have the programming chops or time to remote-enable that though,
> so I'm going to stick with trying to bring a few extra features to
> MythMusic, where I've got a reasonably optimized system for browsing
> my classical collection through the TV screen.
>
> --Wendy

Sweet! It's nice to see so much work going on with MythMusic, it
sorely needs it, and this is a great feature to have.

I was wondering, how does your patch interact with visualizations?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

wseltzer at gmail

Feb 10, 2007, 1:30 PM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

On 2/10/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> Sweet! It's nice to see so much work going on with MythMusic, it
> sorely needs it, and this is a great feature to have.

Thanks,

> I was wondering, how does your patch interact with visualizations?

At the moment, it's independent of them. It just pops up a mythbrowser
window in front of whatever is on the mythmusic screen. I was
planning to look into how to integrate it with the other visualization
modes next, as well as whether it can automagically be made to update
when the track changes.

--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer
http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 10, 2007, 2:30 PM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

On 02/10/2007 05:05 PM, Ross Campbell wrote:
> HOWEVER there are some libraries used by Amarok that I think _could_
> be interesting for mythtv:
> libvisual - http://libvisual.sourceforge.net/v2/
> I'd *REALLY* like to have this optionally included or included in
> addition to goom - There's already a patch -
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/231873 - some argued
> that libvisual development is stagnant, but I believe mythtv's goom is
> still an old one and hasn't been sync'ed with goom2k4, so... ?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/221472#221472

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/221500#221500

Mike

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 10, 2007, 6:31 PM

Re: Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic [In reply to]

On 2/10/07, Ross Campbell <ross.campbell [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Timothy Livingston <tim [at] livingstonautomation> wrote:
> > Can an interface for Amarok be created for MythTV?
>
> While I'd love to see this, I say it's unlikely. Amarok has a lot of
> dependencies.
>
> HOWEVER there are some libraries used by Amarok that I think _could_
> be interesting for mythtv:
>
> TagLib: http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html
>
> libvisual - http://libvisual.sourceforge.net/v2/
> I'd *REALLY* like to have this optionally included or included in
> addition to goom - There's already a patch -
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/231873 - some argued
> that libvisual development is stagnant, but I believe mythtv's goom is
> still an old one and hasn't been sync'ed with goom2k4, so... ?
>
> libgpod - http://www.gtkpod.org/libgpod.html - mytharchive -> ipod anyone?
>
> > Amarok does a great
> > job of managing the music library, pulling information from a wide
> > variety of sources based on context, maintaining podcasts, and even
> > interfacing with portable media devices.
>
> I really like the streaming player in Amarok...
> But it doesn't have a great UI for use from 15 feet away, and it has
> too many "windows"
>
> > Lets not re-invent the wheel- Make MythMusic a remote-friendly interface
> > for some already incredible music management software...
>
> Due to the number of dependencies for amarok, I highly doubt there
> will be support for making amarok a dependency of mythtv
>
> > And personally
> > I like being able to pick a database format and use it as a standard.
>
> oh, and then there's that... amarok uses sqlite. MythTV uses mysql. My
> feeling is that a music player should not store metadata information
> in its database that isn't also stored in id3 tags.

not totally true. I have Amarok using MySQL, its an option one can
choose. I actually use Amarok on my mythfrontend via ssh to listen to
music (since I really dislike MythMusic's interface). I too think it
would be neat if MythMusic could use the Amarok database like this,
though I don't know if it would gain MythMusic anything. But I'd
prefer to see the interface made better first...