Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

Radio

dwatson at eecs

Dec 5, 2002, 6:50 AM

Radio

I'm slowly working on integrating radio recording into myth.
I've figured out enough of the code to hack something together,
but I wanted to get a reality check before I went any further.

My current solution is to add another input to my card labeled
FMRadio, and to add another channel for the radio station I want
to record. This has the side effect of treating the radio like
a video source. This allows me to schedule the radio along with
the TV (which is required since it's the same piece of hardware)
and also includes the potential for all the normal live TV
features like pausing.

However, I haven't figured out an elegant solution to dealing with
the video while only working with an audio stream. In particular
I'm trying to decide if I should hack the NuppelVideo code, or
just create my own audio-only solution. Both seem like bad ideas,
so I figured I'd make sure there wasn't another path I should try
to pursue.

David

nathan at ziarek

Dec 5, 2002, 7:50 AM

RE: Radio [In reply to]

You wouldn't also happen to be the person working to port a
Shoutcast-esque feature to Myth too, would you?

--
Nate

ijr at po

Dec 5, 2002, 2:23 PM

Re: Radio [In reply to]

On Thursday 05 December 2002 08:50 am, David Watson wrote:
> I'm slowly working on integrating radio recording into myth.
> I've figured out enough of the code to hack something together,
> but I wanted to get a reality check before I went any further.
>
> My current solution is to add another input to my card labeled
> FMRadio, and to add another channel for the radio station I want
> to record. This has the side effect of treating the radio like
> a video source. This allows me to schedule the radio along with
> the TV (which is required since it's the same piece of hardware)
> and also includes the potential for all the normal live TV
> features like pausing.
>
> However, I haven't figured out an elegant solution to dealing with
> the video while only working with an audio stream. In particular
> I'm trying to decide if I should hack the NuppelVideo code, or
> just create my own audio-only solution. Both seem like bad ideas,
> so I figured I'd make sure there wasn't another path I should try
> to pursue.

Hm. I think it should be a separate set of code, but most of it can be copied
directly from the existing nuppelvideo[recorder/player] classes... probably
do the same with the TV class, too.. Be a good idea to use straight audio
files, too, and not the .nuv format wrapper.

Anyway, I think that'd produce the cleanest set of code for both that and the
existing video stuff.. The scheduler would have to be extended slightly to
know about it, but that's 'bout all, really.

Isaac

mmusone at shatterit

Dec 5, 2002, 2:37 PM

RE: Radio [In reply to]

I actually like the ability to separate the audio and video inputs and
outputs..for my own reasons...
I would love the for ability to direct/redirect the individual
components..

so my vote goes for trying to modify it so that an "advanced" setting
allows you to specify a video and audio
device on a per-recording or per-live-watching basis

in reality, it already kinda does it (you do have to specify /dev/dsp in
the settings file)

-Mark

[...]

Dec 5, 2002, 6:03 PM

Re: Radio [In reply to]

> Hm. I think it should be a separate set of code, but most of it can be
> copied directly from the existing nuppelvideo[recorder/player] classes...
> probably do the same with the TV class, too.. Be a good idea to use
> straight audio files, too, and not the .nuv format wrapper.
>
> Anyway, I think that'd produce the cleanest set of code for both that and
> the existing video stuff.. The scheduler would have to be extended
> slightly to know about it, but that's 'bout all, really.

Sounds good to me. I was just going to modify the TV class, but I agree
it would be a lot cleaner to move the split into the scheduler.

Thanks for the input.
David

thormj at ieee

Dec 5, 2002, 6:11 PM

RE: Radio [In reply to]

>My current solution is to add another input to my card labeled
>FMRadio, and to add another channel for the radio station I want
>to record. This has the side effect of treating the radio like
>a video source. This allows me to schedule the radio along with
>the TV (which is required since it's the same piece of hardware)
>and also includes the potential for all the normal live TV
>features like pausing.

Very cool. It would also be nice to support other "input devices"
for the radio (e.g. if I have a D-Link USB FM receiver and a BTTV
card)... PiP would be kinda an academic question though ;)

>However, I haven't figured out an elegant solution to dealing with
>the video while only working with an audio stream. In particular
>I'm trying to decide if I should hack the NuppelVideo code, or
>just create my own audio-only solution. Both seem like bad ideas,
>so I figured I'd make sure there wasn't another path I should try
>to pursue.

Maybe there should be a way to designate a different compressor
for each medium. I'm not familiar with NuppleVideo, but if it
doesn't provide much over MP3...

Maybe something like a table that indicates:
Name Src MiscSetup Tuner Encoder
TV /dev/LineIn BTTV: TV BTTV NuppleVideo
FM /dev/LineIn BTTV: FM BTFM Lame
Moxi http://moxifm.com/feed.mp3 Lame

I'm not sure how you could handle all the I/O funkyness, but it
seems like something linux can do with all of its pipeyness.

FWIW, and feel free to shoot them thar idears down ;)
-Thor Johnson