changing the pre/post rolls to 15mins to ensure it didnt happen again.

so this morning i went to watch recordings and noticed it had only used
5min rolls, so i went to tvguide and checked the they were both set back
to 5mins, so once again i set them to 15mins and pressed update recording
settings and the page refreshes and the boxes have 15mins filled in, so it
appears to have worked, however if you then go back to recording
schedules, click on john doe they're both back on 5mins.

lists at forevermore

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

> so this morning i went to watch recordings and noticed it had only used
> 5min rolls, so i went to tvguide and checked the they were both set back
> to 5mins, so once again i set them to 15mins and pressed update recording
> settings and the page refreshes and the boxes have 15mins filled in, so it
> appears to have worked, however if you then go back to recording
> schedules, click on john doe they're both back on 5mins.

there's no way to set preroll/postroll from mythweb. Are you talking
about the start-early/end-late settings? I think this bug was fixed
early on in CVS - it works fine for me now.

-Chris

mythtv at mian

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

Yep the start-early/end-late settings, just grabbed latest CVS (which
hadn't changed anyway) and it's still happening.

>> so this morning i went to watch recordings and noticed it had only used
>> 5min rolls, so i went to tvguide and checked the they were both set back
>> to 5mins, so once again i set them to 15mins and pressed update
>> recording
>> settings and the page refreshes and the boxes have 15mins filled in, so
>> it
>> appears to have worked, however if you then go back to recording
>> schedules, click on john doe they're both back on 5mins.
>
> there's no way to set preroll/postroll from mythweb. Are you talking
> about the start-early/end-late settings? I think this bug was fixed
> early on in CVS - it works fine for me now.
>
> -Chris

lists at forevermore

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

> Yep the start-early/end-late settings, just grabbed latest CVS (which
> hadn't changed anyway) and it's still happening.

Not sure what to say. I just tested this again and it works fine for
me. Just to check, are you sure that you don't have some sort of form
auto-fill thing set up? (check the page source to see the original
values)

If this is not the case, give me a specific example - which recording
schedule are you using, any other settings I should know about, etc.

-Chris

damion at snapgear

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

Speaking of pre/post rolls, there are two places to set these.
the global setting, and then the advanced recording setting.
are these two added together, or does advanced recording values override
the global settings ?

Also, if you edit the recording via mythweb (or non-advanced recording page), do the
pre/post values get turned off?

I'm still on 0.14, and i'm pretty sure every time you go into advanced recording
page, the pre/post values are reset back to zero.
(is this a bug?)

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer email: damion [at] snapgear
SnapGear - A CyberGuard Company --- ph: +61 7 3435 2809
| Custom Embedded Solutions fax: +61 7 3891 3630
| and Security Appliances web: http://www.snapgear.com
--- Free Embedded Linux Distro at http://www.snapgear.org ---

lists at forevermore

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

> Speaking of pre/post rolls, there are two places to set these.
> the global setting, and then the advanced recording setting.

Check the list archives for more details. Only one of these (the global
one) is pre/post roll.. the others are named start-early and end-late.
The difference is that the start-early/end-late values actually modify
the recording start and end times (ie. can cause conflicts) whereas the
pre/postroll settings are optional and only take effect if there isn't
anything conflicting.

There's some other technical difference, but I forget what it is. The
authors really wanted to get rid of the idea of preroll/postroll because
these two settings were so confusing.

Anyway, to answer your question, preroll/postroll is ON TOP OF
start-early/end-late.

-Chris

bjm at lvcm

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

Damion de Soto wrote:
> Speaking of pre/post rolls, there are two places to set these.
> the global setting, and then the advanced recording setting.

Actually, there is only one place to set pre/post roll seconds
in Setup->TV Settings->General. The mythfrontend advanced options
page has settings for Start Early/End Late minutes. These are two
separate, distinct feature that are unrelated.

Start Early/End Late minutes - are used by the scheduler when
creating the schedule. These change the scheduled record times
on a per record rule basis. If scheduled time is added so that
two shows overlap, they will either be recorded on different
cards or one of the shows will not be recorded if no other card
is available.

Pre/post roll seconds - are used by the recorder at record time
if possible. These are not considered by the scheduler when the
schedule is filled in. These are used by the recorder and therefore
apply to all shows with no consideration of the title. This is
useful for giving the recorder a head start to change channels
and start grabbing frames ahead of the actual start time. This
is especially useful for an external cable box so that there is
time for the channel change script to run and the cable box OSD
to clear. If shows are back to back, these are ignored and the
recorder stops the first recording and starts the second record
at the scheduled time.

> are these two added together, or does advanced recording values override
> the global settings ?

These are not in related parts of the code so there is no variable
where they are added together as such but they are both applied
independently. If you had 3 seconds of preroll and set 1 minute
of Start Early time for a show listed as starting on the hour,
the recorder would start at :58:57.

-- bjm

gigem at comcast

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:39:25PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> independently. If you had 3 seconds of preroll and set 1 minute
> of Start Early time for a show listed as starting on the hour,
> the recorder would start at :58:57.

Close. To give an encoder link time to stop/finish any current
recording, new recordings actually start 2 seconds late, so the time
would be :58:59.

David
--
David Engel
gigem [at] comcast

bjm at lvcm

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:39:25PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>>independently. If you had 3 seconds of preroll and set 1 minute
>>of Start Early time for a show listed as starting on the hour,
>>the recorder would start at :58:57.
>

> Close. To give an encoder link time to stop/finish any current
> recording, new recordings actually start 2 seconds late, so the time
> would be :58:59.

:-) I knew that when I wrote it and didn't word it correctly.
The loop plans to kickoff the encoder after :58:57 has been
reached but the first frame written in the file is probably
after :58:59. The is the very essence of why we want preroll.

However, I agree with the conclusion but not the reasoning. In
this example, it clearly is not a back to back situation. If
there had been another show scheduled to end at :59:00, the
new recording would have started at :59:19 (after an hour show
on a remote slave over 802.11g).

The first show would stop recording at :59:00. The console
would report "backend still changing state, waiting.." and
for the next 17 seconds, the slave backend would send about
3600 INSERT statements to the database. One per keyframe. After
all have been sent over the net, the console reports, "changing
state finished, starting now" and about two seconds later,
presto, new recording starts 19 seconds late. This delay is
not caused by the scheduler run which we know runs in a few
hundredths of a second or anything about time fields in the
'record' table.

-- bjm

172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 0, 7, "1808")
172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 1, 7, "957794")
172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 2, 7, "1610440")
172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 3, 7, "2340303")
172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 4, 7, "3013325")
172 Query INSERT INTO recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values ( '1018', '20040406163000', 5, 7, "3729921")

gigem at comcast

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:23:43PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> However, I agree with the conclusion but not the reasoning. In
> this example, it clearly is not a back to back situation. If

No, the 2 second delay I am talking about comes from the following
lines in scheduler.cpp.

if (secsleft > -2)
continue;

If this isn't done, you run the risk of the encoder saying it's busy
when you try to start a new recording. Isaac can probably shed more
light on this since it's a hold over from before I started messing
with the scheduler.

David
--
David Engel
gigem [at] comcast

cpinkham at bc2va

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

> The first show would stop recording at :59:00. The console
> would report "backend still changing state, waiting.." and
> for the next 17 seconds, the slave backend would send about
> 3600 INSERT statements to the database. One per keyframe. After
> all have been sent over the net, the console reports, "changing
> state finished, starting now" and about two seconds later,
> presto, new recording starts 19 seconds late. This delay is
> not caused by the scheduler run which we know runs in a few
> hundredths of a second or anything about time fields in the
> 'record' table.
>
> -- bjm

I should be able to fix this so that it only writes out only the new
entries in NuppelVideoRecorder::WriteSeekTable() like it does in
NuppelVideoRecorder::UpdateSeekTable(). I didn't notice this
slowdown when I wrote the code to save the positionmap to the DB.
Now that my DB is on a slower machine and remote from the master
backend I notice the slowdown more.

Added to my TODO list.

--

Chris

bjm at lvcm

Re: [bug] mythweb update pre/post rolls? [In reply to]

Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>The first show would stop recording at :59:00. The console
>>would report "backend still changing state, waiting.." and
>>for the next 17 seconds, the slave backend would send about
>>3600 INSERT statements to the database. One per keyframe. After
>>all have been sent over the net, the console reports, "changing
>>state finished, starting now" and about two seconds later,
>>presto, new recording starts 19 seconds late. This delay is
>>not caused by the scheduler run which we know runs in a few
>>hundredths of a second or anything about time fields in the
>>'record' table.

> I should be able to fix this so that it only writes out only the new
> entries in NuppelVideoRecorder::WriteSeekTable() like it does in
> NuppelVideoRecorder::UpdateSeekTable(). I didn't notice this
> slowdown when I wrote the code to save the positionmap to the DB.

Great, thanks. I knew that it was re-writing the positionmap even
after it had been writing out every 15 sec throughout the recording.
Seems like good measure. It wasn't until I went poking around after
David and Matt were looking into the delay in terms of the scheduler
run. Today I was looking at the possibility of doing one SELECT
then comparing for differences (should be none =). The select results
would still be fairly large but should only take a fraction of the
time.

> Now that my DB is on a slower machine and remote from the master
> backend I notice the slowdown more.
>
> Added to my TODO list.

I'll leave this to you then. Thanks,

-- bjm