Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Myth on XBOX 360!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mlynch at gcom

Dec 5, 2005, 12:50 PM

Myth on XBOX 360!

What are the chances anyone has this working yet?

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown

tom at redpepperracing

Dec 5, 2005, 12:53 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> What are the chances anyone has this working yet?

About 0%, considering that no-one has managed to hack into the 360 yet
(much less install Linux on it). I think it will be awhile....

anaerin at gmail

Dec 5, 2005, 1:09 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 12/5/05, Tom Lichti <tom [at] redpepperracing> wrote:
> Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> > What are the chances anyone has this working yet?
> >
> About 0%, considering that no-one has managed to hack into the 360 yet
> (much less install Linux on it). I think it will be awhile....

As the 360 can work as a UPNP frontend for Windows Media Center (And
compatible systems), and there was some talk of developing a UPNP
server for Myth (And perhaps using that to "Autodiscover" the
frontend/backend relationship), perhaps this isn't so far off...
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

mythtv at jehster

Dec 5, 2005, 1:11 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Michael J. Lynch wrote:
>> What are the chances anyone has this working yet?
>>
> About 0%, considering that no-one has managed to hack into the 360 yet
> (much less install Linux on it). I think it will be awhile....

I have confidence it will happen though. ;)

tom at redpepperracing

Dec 5, 2005, 1:13 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Tom Lichti <tom [at] redpepperracing> wrote:
>
>> Michael J. Lynch wrote:
>>
>>> What are the chances anyone has this working yet?
>>>

>> About 0%, considering that no-one has managed to hack into the 360 yet
>> (much less install Linux on it). I think it will be awhile....
>>

> As the 360 can work as a UPNP frontend for Windows Media Center (And
> compatible systems), and there was some talk of developing a UPNP
> server for Myth (And perhaps using that to "Autodiscover" the
> frontend/backend relationship), perhaps this isn't so far off...
> --
> Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

Yes, that would be nice, hopefully someone will tackle that one.

Tom

aclose at gmail

Dec 5, 2005, 1:24 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 12/5/05, Tom Lichti <tom [at] redpepperracing> wrote:
> Robert Johnston wrote:

> >> About 0%, considering that no-one has managed to hack into the 360 yet
> >> (much less install Linux on it). I think it will be awhile....
> >>

> > As the 360 can work as a UPNP frontend for Windows Media Center (And
> > compatible systems), and there was some talk of developing a UPNP
> > server for Myth (And perhaps using that to "Autodiscover" the
> > frontend/backend relationship), perhaps this isn't so far off...
> > --
> > Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
> >
> Yes, that would be nice, hopefully someone will tackle that one.

i'd be willing to look into it if you guys could get me an xbox 360. ;)

anaerin at gmail

Dec 5, 2005, 2:14 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 12/5/05, Andrew Close <aclose [at] gmail> wrote:

> i'd be willing to look into it if you guys could get me an xbox 360. ;)

In thoery, you don't even need an Xbox 360, all you need is the UPNP
specs, as we'll be building both a UPNP server and client (As the
Frontend would be a Client, and the server a server (Obviously)).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

aclose at gmail

Dec 5, 2005, 2:17 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 12/5/05, Robert Johnston <anaerin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Andrew Close <aclose [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > i'd be willing to look into it if you guys could get me an xbox 360. ;)
>
> In thoery, you don't even need an Xbox 360, all you need is the UPNP
> specs, as we'll be building both a UPNP server and client (As the
> Frontend would be a Client, and the server a server (Obviously)).

uhm, actually, i'd need the xbox 360. i'd prefer to test everything
thoroughly before releasing...

in theory... sheesh... ;)

jsg93085 at gmail

Dec 5, 2005, 4:02 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

i wouldnt count on MythTv making it to the xbox 360 (at least w/a full
frontend setup) until team xecuter and the other mod-chip makers chip the
xbox 360 or until the people who found the font and game hacks develop ones
for the new game and file system setup.

devan.lippman at gmail

Mar 19, 2006, 9:35 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 12/5/05, J <jsg93085 [at] gmail> wrote:
> i wouldnt count on MythTv making it to the xbox 360 (at least w/a full
> frontend setup) until team xecuter and the other mod-chip makers chip the
> xbox 360 or until the people who found the font and game hacks develop ones
> for the new game and file system setup.

stirring this one back up because I found an xbox 360! The 360 has a
media interface for talking to PCs running MCE. Is this really just
uPNP with some sort of signature? It would be excellent to be able to
trick the 360 into thnking the backend was an MCE box.

Devan

kichigai at comcast

Mar 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

casey.dunn at gmail

Mar 19, 2006, 12:59 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

music only..
http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/devices.html#media-players
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephbu/sets/1637080/

Check out Transcode360 for some background on why this isn't easy. (short
story: Just because it plays in MCE doesn't mean the 360 will play it)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=497340

Projects are getting there though...
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gmediaserver-devel/2006-01/msg00009.html

On 3/19/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai [at] comcast> wrote:

> > stirring this one back up because I found an xbox 360! The 360 has a
> > media interface for talking to PCs running MCE. Is this really just
> > uPNP with some sort of signature? It would be excellent to be able to
> > trick the 360 into thnking the backend was an MCE box.
> Wouldn't that require the use of Microsoft code? As far as I'm aware
> (and it is possible I'm wrong) no one has MythTV speaking WinXP MCE,
> and I don't know if anyone knows how to do it yet (except Microsoft)

kichigai at comcast

Mar 19, 2006, 1:56 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On Mar 19, 2006, at 14.59, casey dunn wrote:

> music only..
> http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/devices.html#media-players
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephbu/sets/1637080/

Progress is progress! :)

> Check out Transcode360 for some background on why this isn't easy.
> (short story: Just because it plays in MCE doesn't mean the 360
> will play it)
> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=497340

Doesn't the 360 require everything to be transcoded to WMV before
playback? And does "everything" include MPEG-2? Because, it would
kind of suck to have to have your Myth system transcode all your
recordings just to watch them. The loss of quality, oh the humanity!
And I could only imagine what kind of power this would take for high-
def recordings.

> Projects are getting there though...
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gmediaserver-devel/2006-01/
> msg00009.html

Totally nifty. Though I imagine making Myth masquerade about as
WinXPMCE is going to take a lot of work before it reaches
functionality near what a dedicated front-end can do. Does MCE do
commercial flagging? And I bet the commercial flags are a bit
different from those of Myth. Still, not to say this is a worthless
experiment. I'd love to see what these guys could come up with.

I hate to be a formatting nazi, but please don't top-post. In cases
such as these, it was a little confusing if you were replying to me
or not. Just try to do some in-line reply.

> On 3/19/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai [at] comcast> wrote:
>
> > stirring this one back up because I found an xbox 360! The 360
> has a
> > media interface for talking to PCs running MCE. Is this really just
> > uPNP with some sort of signature? It would be excellent to be
> able to
> > trick the 360 into thnking the backend was an MCE box.
> Wouldn't that require the use of Microsoft code? As far as I'm aware
> (and it is possible I'm wrong) no one has MythTV speaking WinXP MCE,
> and I don't know if anyone knows how to do it yet (except Microsoft)

I stand corrected on the limitations.
Attachments: PGP.sig (0.18 KB)

masterclc at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 2:04 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

I'm personally holding out of PS3 instead. Whether it will be able to
be a full fledged mythfrontend or not is not my issue, rather it's who
gets my money. Nonetheless, it seems Sony was more willing to 'play'
with linux in the past, I would think they might also do so in the
future. The more people you entice to buy your system, the more money
you make. Too bad Micro$oft can't see that; though I'm sure they
won't be losing sleep over it with their pillows stuffed with $1,000
dollar bills.

;)

Chad

kichigai at comcast

Mar 20, 2006, 8:08 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

j.ostheller at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 9:30 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

food for thought... How cool would it be to have your PSP be a mythfrontend
=D its not physically possible, but its nice to dream about.

On 3/20/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai [at] comcast> wrote:

wpoland at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 9:41 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 3/20/06, Joel Ostheller <j.ostheller [at] gmail> wrote:
> food for thought... How cool would it be to have your PSP be a mythfrontend
> =D its not physically possible, but its nice to dream about.

You could get halfway there with Sony's Location Free TV thing, the
psp is a client with newer firmware installed.

Rumors are also stiring now that the PS3 will have a 60 gig hard
drive, with linux preinstalled on it.

j.ostheller at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 9:57 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

you know... if you wanted an nice easy route... I bet there is a niuce color
PDA out there that is powerful enough to run mythfrontend... man how cool
would that be?

On 3/20/06, Byron Poland <wpoland [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Joel Ostheller <j.ostheller [at] gmail> wrote:
> > food for thought... How cool would it be to have your PSP be a
> mythfrontend
> > =D its not physically possible, but its nice to dream about.
> >

> You could get halfway there with Sony's Location Free TV thing, the
> psp is a client with newer firmware installed.
>
> Rumors are also stiring now that the PS3 will have a 60 gig hard
> drive, with linux preinstalled on it.

kane.tse at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 10:47 AM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 3/20/06, Chad <masterclc [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm personally holding out of PS3 instead. Whether it will be able to
> be a full fledged mythfrontend or not is not my issue, rather it's who
> gets my money. Nonetheless, it seems Sony was more willing to 'play'
> with linux in the past, I would think they might also do so in the
> future. The more people you entice to buy your system, the more money
> you make. Too bad Micro$oft can't see that; though I'm sure they
> won't be losing sleep over it with their pillows stuffed with $1,000
> dollar bills.

Sony might have been more willing to play with Linux in past, but from
this mailing-list I see more XBoxes running MythTV than PS2s.

I don't think it's the company's Linux policy that matters as much as
the hardware. The Linux community is pretty good at putting Linux on
almost any machine these days; regardless of the support that Sony or
Microsoft have given/withheld from them.

rpooser at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 12:15 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

kanetse [at] gmail wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Chad <masterclc [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> I'm personally holding out of PS3 instead. Whether it will be able to
>> be a full fledged mythfrontend or not is not my issue, rather it's who
>> gets my money. Nonetheless, it seems Sony was more willing to 'play'
>> with linux in the past, I would think they might also do so in the
>> future. The more people you entice to buy your system, the more money
>> you make. Too bad Micro$oft can't see that; though I'm sure they
>> won't be losing sleep over it with their pillows stuffed with $1,000
>> dollar bills.

In no way wanting to start a flame war, but... Yikes, I don't understand
why people seem to think Sony is a "less evil" company than Microsoft.
They've been feverishly at their efforts for world domination for at
least as long as microsoft has. At least, luckily with Sony, many of
their efforts to lock people into BS proprietary format hell have mainly
been flops. Here's hoping the same for blueray. We have not been so
lucky with MS though, as they have managed to lock most of the world
into windows and a world of MS proprietaries - hopefully HDDVD and HDCP
won't be as successful.

> Sony might have been more willing to play with Linux in past, but from
> this mailing-list I see more XBoxes running MythTV than PS2s.

The PS3 will have linux preinstalled on a 60GB hard drive, confirmed by
Sony. Will that make it easy to run mythfrontend on the machine?
Maybe, maybe not. It's just a way to take a stab at MS, though, as MS
is supporting HDDVD. They could care less about being sympathetic to
the open source world or making something that it's easy to get myth
onto. For all we know it may be easier to get it onto the 360. Bottom
line, Sony wants to sell blueray players so they can make a killing on
their next gen movie format, end of story. Linux is just a means to an
end, to get geeks like us to buy it. I have yet to see if it will work
on me but it's not ruld out.
> I don't think it's the company's Linux policy that matters as much as
> the hardware. The Linux community is pretty good at putting Linux on
> almost any machine these days; regardless of the support that Sony or
> Microsoft have given/withheld from them.

Yup. I'm biding my time until the PS3 is released. At that time I'll
make a choice as to which is better, determined by which system has been
hacked to run mythfrontend and how elegant the solutions are, then price
comparison may come into it vs features. oh, and maybe games will play
a role... lol.
Raphael

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 1:14 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser [at] gmail> wrote:
> kanetse [at] gmail wrote:
> > On 3/20/06, Chad <masterclc [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm personally holding out of PS3 instead. Whether it will be able to
> >> be a full fledged mythfrontend or not is not my issue, rather it's who
> >> gets my money. Nonetheless, it seems Sony was more willing to 'play'
> >> with linux in the past, I would think they might also do so in the
> >> future. The more people you entice to buy your system, the more money
> >> you make. Too bad Micro$oft can't see that; though I'm sure they
> >> won't be losing sleep over it with their pillows stuffed with $1,000
> >> dollar bills.
> >>

> In no way wanting to start a flame war, but... Yikes, I don't understand
> why people seem to think Sony is a "less evil" company than Microsoft.
> They've been feverishly at their efforts for world domination for at
> least as long as microsoft has. At least, luckily with Sony, many of
> their efforts to lock people into BS proprietary format hell have mainly
> been flops. Here's hoping the same for blueray. We have not been so
> lucky with MS though, as they have managed to lock most of the world
> into windows and a world of MS proprietaries - hopefully HDDVD and HDCP
> won't be as successful.
>
> > Sony might have been more willing to play with Linux in past, but from
> > this mailing-list I see more XBoxes running MythTV than PS2s.
> >

> The PS3 will have linux preinstalled on a 60GB hard drive, confirmed by
> Sony. Will that make it easy to run mythfrontend on the machine?
> Maybe, maybe not. It's just a way to take a stab at MS, though, as MS
> is supporting HDDVD. They could care less about being sympathetic to
> the open source world or making something that it's easy to get myth
> onto. For all we know it may be easier to get it onto the 360. Bottom
> line, Sony wants to sell blueray players so they can make a killing on
> their next gen movie format, end of story. Linux is just a means to an
> end, to get geeks like us to buy it. I have yet to see if it will work
> on me but it's not ruld out.
> > I don't think it's the company's Linux policy that matters as much as
> > the hardware. The Linux community is pretty good at putting Linux on
> > almost any machine these days; regardless of the support that Sony or
> > Microsoft have given/withheld from them.
> >

> Yup. I'm biding my time until the PS3 is released. At that time I'll
> make a choice as to which is better, determined by which system has been
> hacked to run mythfrontend and how elegant the solutions are, then price
> comparison may come into it vs features. oh, and maybe games will play
> a role... lol.
> Raphael

The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
PS3 is capable of!

--
Steve

rpooser at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 1:30 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

Steven Adeff wrote:

> The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
> some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
> Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
> PS3 is capable of!
>
> --
> Steve

True about the DVI. I believe one of the DVI connectors is supposed to
be in the form of HDMI, no? Hopefully, if it's coming as a blueray
player. I would love that, as so far the only thing in my house that
can use HDMI is my computer, using a DVI cable that terminates in an
HDMI connector. Getting something hooked up to my TV with an HDMI
output that just works without having to fiddle with overscan and
compliant resolutions would certainly be nice. The DVI is about the
main reason I'm holding off buying a 360 until the PS3 comes out.
Raphael

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 1:42 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser [at] gmail> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> >

> > The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
> > some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
> > Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
> > PS3 is capable of!
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> >

> True about the DVI. I believe one of the DVI connectors is supposed to
> be in the form of HDMI, no? Hopefully, if it's coming as a blueray
> player. I would love that, as so far the only thing in my house that
> can use HDMI is my computer, using a DVI cable that terminates in an
> HDMI connector. Getting something hooked up to my TV with an HDMI
> output that just works without having to fiddle with overscan and
> compliant resolutions would certainly be nice. The DVI is about the
> main reason I'm holding off buying a 360 until the PS3 comes out.
> Raphael

yea, prbly will be HDMI. Overscan will still be an issue as its a TV
thing and not an output thing.

--
Steve

cnlibmyth at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 1:51 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

On 3/20/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Steven Adeff wrote:
> > >

> > > The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
> > > some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
> > > Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
> > > PS3 is capable of!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steve
> > >

> > True about the DVI. I believe one of the DVI connectors is supposed to
> > be in the form of HDMI, no? Hopefully, if it's coming as a blueray
> > player. I would love that, as so far the only thing in my house that
> > can use HDMI is my computer, using a DVI cable that terminates in an
> > HDMI connector. Getting something hooked up to my TV with an HDMI
> > output that just works without having to fiddle with overscan and
> > compliant resolutions would certainly be nice. The DVI is about the
> > main reason I'm holding off buying a 360 until the PS3 comes out.
> > Raphael
>
> yea, prbly will be HDMI. Overscan will still be an issue as its a TV
> thing and not an output thing.
>
> --
> Steve

From what I have read the PS3 will have 2 HDMI outputs AND a standard AV
out.

rpooser at gmail

Mar 20, 2006, 2:03 PM

Re: Myth on XBOX 360! [In reply to]

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
>>> some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
>>> Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
>>> PS3 is capable of!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve
>>>

>> True about the DVI. I believe one of the DVI connectors is supposed to
>> be in the form of HDMI, no? Hopefully, if it's coming as a blueray
>> player. I would love that, as so far the only thing in my house that
>> can use HDMI is my computer, using a DVI cable that terminates in an
>> HDMI connector. Getting something hooked up to my TV with an HDMI
>> output that just works without having to fiddle with overscan and
>> compliant resolutions would certainly be nice. The DVI is about the
>> main reason I'm holding off buying a 360 until the PS3 comes out.
>> Raphael
>>

> yea, prbly will be HDMI. Overscan will still be an issue as its a TV
> thing and not an output thing.
>
> --
> Steve

Well, I was more thinking of finding resolutions that work, etc. While
searching around on my windows machine for the best HD resolutions,
often I would be sitting there looking at a black screen when I
accidentally chose an unsupported one (well not any more as I've found
the best ones and they work great, but at the beginning). I imagine
with a consumer electronics device this wouldn't be a problem. While
each TV overscans differently, with a computer you can futz around with
modelines to try and get your computer's output to look the best for
your overscanned TV. When using a TV that is strict on what resolutions
it takes on the HDMI port, it gets a little frustrating. Hooking up a
PS3 or similar device I imagine the output image is going to be made
expecting TVs to do a certain amount of overscan (unlike my computer's
output). With the image made with overscanning in mind, the fact that
my TV does overscan will be less of a problem than when hooking up a
computer, so I probably wouldn't have to futz around with the device's
output (if I even could). well, this is all with a big Hopefully. :)
Raphael