Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Dev

QAM Issues with Air2PC

rtjacob at earthlink

Mar 23, 2005, 5:34 PM

QAM Issues with Air2PC

I just talked with John at BBTI (Makers of the Air2PC), and after some
discussion it seems that the NXT2002 based Air2PC is not QAM capable like it
had appeared before.. The Demodulator Nxt2002 is QAM capable, but there is
something else in the Tuner Module that doesn't allow it to work 100% properly
for QAM modes on some frequencies.. This most likely is some low level RF
issue, since it works perfectly fine for me on some frequencues, but on others
I just can't get a clean signal to save my life..

That being said when Air2PCs start shipping again they will be using a new
tuner/demodulator than the nxt2002.. Part of the design criteria for this new
board is that it function properly in QAM mode, so this new revision of the
board will take care of the current QAM issues and uncorrectable errors..

Taylor

blammo.doh at gmail

Mar 23, 2005, 8:32 PM

Re: QAM Issues with Air2PC [In reply to]

> That being said when Air2PCs start shipping again they will be using a new
> tuner/demodulator than the nxt2002.. Part of the design criteria for this new
> board is that it function properly in QAM mode, so this new revision of the
> board will take care of the current QAM issues and uncorrectable errors..

Any hope of an upgrade / retrofit?

jarod at wilsonet

Mar 23, 2005, 9:32 PM

Re: QAM Issues with Air2PC [In reply to]

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 20:32, Blammo wrote:
> > That being said when Air2PCs start shipping again they will be using a
> > new tuner/demodulator than the nxt2002.. Part of the design criteria for
> > this new board is that it function properly in QAM mode, so this new
> > revision of the board will take care of the current QAM issues and
> > uncorrectable errors..
>
> Any hope of an upgrade / retrofit?

Ugh, that would be nice. I'm one of the folks that can't get a lock on squat.
If I'd known about this, I would have got an HD-3000 (or waited for the new
card) instead. :-(

Guess I won't waste anymore time fiddling with it on my cable connection, time
to throw a splitter in and put it next to my HD-2000.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

papenfuss at juneau

Mar 24, 2005, 4:52 AM

Re: QAM Issues with Air2PC [In reply to]

> Ugh, that would be nice. I'm one of the folks that can't get a lock on squat.
> If I'd known about this, I would have got an HD-3000 (or waited for the new
> card) instead. :-(
>
> Guess I won't waste anymore time fiddling with it on my cable connection, time
> to throw a splitter in and put it next to my HD-2000.

It shouldn't be a big deal, I wouldn't think. All those tuners
are standard parts with standard pinouts. My guess is if you could find a
replacement that would work, you could solder it in, hardcode the tuner
type, and be good to go.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if it's a VSB demodulation
issue?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

rtjacob at earthlink

Mar 25, 2005, 12:38 PM

Re: QAM Issues with Air2PC [In reply to]

Quoting Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau>:
> It shouldn't be a big deal, I wouldn't think. All those tuners
> are standard parts with standard pinouts. My guess is if you could find a
> replacement that would work, you could solder it in, hardcode the tuner
> type, and be good to go.

You could in theory remove a NIM from a DVB-T or DVB-C card and place an ATSC
demodulator on it and make yourself an ATSC card.. Might have to tweak some
drivers to support the new frontend you just put on the card, but yes you are
right assuming the pinouts are correct..

Taylor