Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ModPerl

Using Apache v1

dave.morgan at coolplaces

Feb 28, 2012, 11:15 AM

Using Apache v1

On 28/02/12 11:59 AM, Randolf Richardson wrote:
Snip....

> Are a lot of people still using the version 1 series of httpd and/or
> mod_perl?
Lots :) My codebase is apache/mod-perl independent and yet we still
have v1 servers around. Hardware upgrades are scheduled for later
this year or next year so we will retire the v1 stuff when the
hardware gets changed out.

The reason we still use v1 is it is/was a custom compiled
perl/apache/mod_perl/ssl binary. All of our v2 is handled
by the applicable package manager.

HTH
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Operations Manager, Cool Places In Canada

chris at TechnologEase

Feb 28, 2012, 11:28 AM

Re: Using Apache v1 [In reply to]

Last I checked, Apache was still providing patches and releases for the v1
base as well. There are a lot of people still using it, at least that is
also my perception.

chris
-----
*Chris Olive* | *Principal Consultant* | TechnologEase
LLC<http://www.technologease.com/>
*email*: chris [at] TechnologEase | *work*: 651-207-8182 | *cell*:
651-327-9058 | *twitter*: @TechnologEase

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Dave Morgan <dave.morgan [at] coolplaces>wrote:

> On 28/02/12 11:59 AM, Randolf Richardson wrote:
> Snip....
>
> Are a lot of people still using the version 1 series of httpd
>> and/or
>> mod_perl?
>>
> Lots :) My codebase is apache/mod-perl independent and yet we still
> have v1 servers around. Hardware upgrades are scheduled for later
> this year or next year so we will retire the v1 stuff when the
> hardware gets changed out.
>
> The reason we still use v1 is it is/was a custom compiled
> perl/apache/mod_perl/ssl binary. All of our v2 is handled
> by the applicable package manager.
>
> HTH
> Dave
>
> --
> Dave Morgan
> Operations Manager, Cool Places In Canada
> http://www.coolplaces.ca
> dave.morgan [at] coolplaces
> 403 288 8759 / 866 938 0516

mpeters at plusthree

Mar 1, 2012, 6:05 AM

Re: Using Apache v1 [In reply to]

On 02/28/2012 02:28 PM, Chris Olive wrote:
> Last I checked, Apache was still providing patches and releases for the
> v1 base as well.

This is not the case. V1 has been "End of Lifed" and won't receive any
new releases, not even security related ones.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/

> There are a lot of people still using it, at least
> that is also my perception.

This is probably true. We are stilling using V1 with mod_perl as an app
server behind a V2 proxy. But we definitely have plans to change this
because of the security implications of running something that will
never receive any further security fixes.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP

chris at TechnologEase

Mar 1, 2012, 8:16 AM

Re: Using Apache v1 [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Michael Peters <mpeters [at] plusthree>wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 02:28 PM, Chris Olive wrote:
>
>> Last I checked, Apache was still providing patches and releases for the
>> v1 base as well.
>>

> This is not the case. V1 has been "End of Lifed" and won't receive any new
> releases, not even security related ones.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/**1.3/ <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/>

Time flies. I obviously haven't checked in a while and now that you
mention it, I do recall getting a message stating such a while back.
Thanks for the correction. The v1 line of Apache was like a Chevy pickup
truck. I know I even went back to it a couple of times over MP2 install
issues after v2 came out.

> There are a lot of people still using it, at least
>> that is also my perception.
>>

> This is probably true. We are stilling using V1 with mod_perl as an app
> server behind a V2 proxy. But we definitely have plans to change this
> because of the security implications of running something that will never
> receive any further security fixes.

Good idea.

--
-----
*Chris Olive* | *Principal Consultant* | TechnologEase
LLC<http://www.TechnologEase.com>
*email*: chris [at] TechnologEase | *cell*: 651-327-9058 | *twitter*:
@TechnologEase