Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ModPerl

Installing mod_perl on Windows 7

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 29, 2011, 6:00 AM

Installing mod_perl on Windows 7

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this list.

I am trying to install mod_perl on Windows 7, and am running into some problems.

Here's what I did.

First, I ran the following commands to get the mod_perl package and install it:

----------------
ppm rep add http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/12xx
ppm install mod_perl
----------------

Then I added the following lines at the start of my httpd.conf file:

----------------
LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
----------------

But since then, Apache won't restart, unless I comment out those two lines. To diagnose the problem, I ran the command:

----------------
httpd.exe -t -c httpd.conf
----------------

And it gives me the following error message:

----------------
httpd: Syntax error on line 29 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.17/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll into server: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
----------------

The file C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll does exist.

I am wondering if the problem is not due to a difference between 32 and 64 bits applications. I ran a small perl script which looks at the DOS headers of executables, to find the architecture that the executable was compiled for, and here's what it tells me:

httpd.exe: AMD64
perl512.dll: i386
mod_perl.so: i386

I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?

Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?

Thx.

Alain Désilets

Alain Désilets
Agent de recherche | Research Officer
Institut de technologie de l'information | Institute for Information Technology Conseil national de recherches du Canada | National Research Council of Canada

aw at ice-sa

Nov 29, 2011, 7:48 AM

Re: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Desilets, Alain wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is my first post on this list.
>
> I am trying to install mod_perl on Windows 7, and am running into some problems.
>
> Here's what I did.
>
> First, I ran the following commands to get the mod_perl package and install it:
>
> ----------------
> ppm rep add http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/12xx
> ppm install mod_perl
> ----------------
>
> Then I added the following lines at the start of my httpd.conf file:
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> But since then, Apache won't restart, unless I comment out those two lines. To diagnose the problem, I ran the command:
>
> ----------------
> httpd.exe -t -c httpd.conf
> ----------------
>
> And it gives me the following error message:
>
> ----------------
> httpd: Syntax error on line 29 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.17/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll into server: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
> ----------------
>
> The file C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll does exist.
>
> I am wondering if the problem is not due to a difference between 32 and 64 bits applications. I ran a small perl script which looks at the DOS headers of executables, to find the architecture that the executable was compiled for, and here's what it tells me:
>
> httpd.exe: AMD64
> perl512.dll: i386
> mod_perl.so: i386
>
> I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?
No.

> Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?

a 64-bit Windows can run 32 and 64 applications. But within an application, you cannot
mix and match.
So either get a 64-bit perl and mod_perl, or get a 32-bit Apache.
I would suggest a 32-bit Apache, as for a workstation, you are unlikely to need the extra
memory that 64-bit would allow you to use; and your 32-bit applications will use less
memory in vain.

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 29, 2011, 7:56 AM

RE: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Thanks. That confirms what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before going through the hassle of reinstalling Apache (actually, reinstalling WAMP for that matter).

Alain

> I am trying to install mod_perl on Windows 7, and am running into some problems.
>
> Here's what I did.
>
> First, I ran the following commands to get the mod_perl package and install it:
>
> ----------------
> ppm rep add http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/12xx
> ppm install mod_perl
> ----------------
>
> Then I added the following lines at the start of my httpd.conf file:
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> But since then, Apache won't restart, unless I comment out those two lines. To diagnose the problem, I ran the command:
>
> ----------------
> httpd.exe -t -c httpd.conf
> ----------------
>
> And it gives me the following error message:
>
> ----------------
> httpd: Syntax error on line 29 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.17/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll into server: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
> ----------------
>
> The file C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll does exist.
>
> I am wondering if the problem is not due to a difference between 32 and 64 bits applications. I ran a small perl script which looks at the DOS headers of executables, to find the architecture that the executable was compiled for, and here's what it tells me:
>
> httpd.exe: AMD64
> perl512.dll: i386
> mod_perl.so: i386
>
> I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?
No.

> Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?

a 64-bit Windows can run 32 and 64 applications. But within an application, you cannot
mix and match.
So either get a 64-bit perl and mod_perl, or get a 32-bit Apache.
I would suggest a 32-bit Apache, as for a workstation, you are unlikely to need the extra
memory that 64-bit would allow you to use; and your 32-bit applications will use less
memory in vain.

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 29, 2011, 11:21 AM

RE: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

OK, so I uninstalled Apache 64 bits, and installed Apache 32 bits instead.

Now, Apache starts correctly with the following two lines in httpd.conf

----------------
LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
----------------

Only problem is that my scripts still seem to run under the conventional CGI interface, instead of mod_perl. For example, if I run this script:

----------------
#!C:/Perl/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/plain\r\n\r\n";

print "Server's gateway interface:\t$ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE}\n\n";

print "Other values of the server environment:\n";
foreach my $a_key ( keys %ENV ) {
print "$a_key:\t$ENV{$a_key}\n";
}
------------------

I get "Server's gateway interface: CGI/1.1", and according to this page:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Testing_via_a_CGI_script

this means I am NOT running mod_perl. If I WAS running mod_perl, I should be seeing something like 'CGI-Perl/1.1' instead.

Note that I saw the following line in httpd.conf

---------------
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
---------------

I tried commenting it out, thinking that maybe this was overriding mod_perl. But when I do that, my scripts don't run as a perl script anymore. Instead, the source code of the scripts is displayed in the browser when I try to invoke it.

I have looked through all the documentation I could find about installing mod_perl for windows, and I can't find any additional step beyond the ones I have taken so far.

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Alain Désilets

> I am trying to install mod_perl on Windows 7, and am running into some problems.
>
> Here's what I did.
>
> First, I ran the following commands to get the mod_perl package and install it:
>
> ----------------
> ppm rep add http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/12xx
> ppm install mod_perl
> ----------------
>
> Then I added the following lines at the start of my httpd.conf file:
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> But since then, Apache won't restart, unless I comment out those two lines. To diagnose the problem, I ran the command:
>
> ----------------
> httpd.exe -t -c httpd.conf
> ----------------
>
> And it gives me the following error message:
>
> ----------------
> httpd: Syntax error on line 29 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.17/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll into server: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
> ----------------
>
> The file C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll does exist.
>
> I am wondering if the problem is not due to a difference between 32 and 64 bits applications. I ran a small perl script which looks at the DOS headers of executables, to find the architecture that the executable was compiled for, and here's what it tells me:
>
> httpd.exe: AMD64
> perl512.dll: i386
> mod_perl.so: i386
>
> I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?
No.

> Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?

a 64-bit Windows can run 32 and 64 applications. But within an application, you cannot
mix and match.
So either get a 64-bit perl and mod_perl, or get a 32-bit Apache.
I would suggest a 32-bit Apache, as for a workstation, you are unlikely to need the extra
memory that 64-bit would allow you to use; and your 32-bit applications will use less
memory in vain.

aw at ice-sa

Nov 29, 2011, 12:25 PM

Re: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Desilets, Alain wrote:
> OK, so I uninstalled Apache 64 bits, and installed Apache 32 bits instead.
>
> Now, Apache starts correctly with the following two lines in httpd.conf
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> Only problem is that my scripts still seem to run under the conventional CGI interface, instead of mod_perl. For example, if I run this script:
>
> ----------------
> #!C:/Perl/bin/perl
>
> print "Content-type: text/plain\r\n\r\n";
>
> print "Server's gateway interface:\t$ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE}\n\n";
>
> print "Other values of the server environment:\n";
> foreach my $a_key ( keys %ENV ) {
> print "$a_key:\t$ENV{$a_key}\n";
> }
> ------------------
>
> I get "Server's gateway interface: CGI/1.1", and according to this page:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Testing_via_a_CGI_script
>
> this means I am NOT running mod_perl. If I WAS running mod_perl, I should be seeing something like 'CGI-Perl/1.1' instead.
>
> Note that I saw the following line in httpd.conf
>
> ---------------
> LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
> ---------------
>
> I tried commenting it out, thinking that maybe this was overriding mod_perl. But when I do that, my scripts don't run as a perl script anymore. Instead, the source code of the scripts is displayed in the browser when I try to invoke it.
>
> I have looked through all the documentation I could find about installing mod_perl for windows, and I can't find any additional step beyond the ones I have taken so far.
>
> Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

If your cgi scripts are only Perl and shell scripts, then you need to add something to
your <Location /cgi-bin> section. Look here :

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html#Registry_Scripts

Basically, it means that you need to tell Apache that for the files in that directory, the
Apache handler (the module which generates the responses to the requests) is mod_perl.

(mod_perl is smart enough that when it sees a shell script, it will call the shell to run
it, instead of itself).

Make sure that you read the caveats of running scripts under mod_perl (persistence e.g.).

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 29, 2011, 1:02 PM

RE: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Thx again for the help. I tried what you suggested (after reading gAzZaLi's answer), but it still doesn't seem to help.

Here are the lines I have added to my httpd.conf file:

----------------
LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
----------------

And a bit further...

------------------
Alias /perl/ "C:/wamp/www/perl/"
<Location /perl/>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
Options +ExecCGI
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Location>
------------------

I have a script C:/wamp/www/perl/printenv.pl, which prints the content of the %ENV hash. When I run it, I still get CGI/1.1 for the GATEWAY_INTERFACE key. See output at the end of this message.

Note that I do get

MOD_PERL: mod_perl/2.0.4

Which seems to indicate that mod_perl is indeed installed. But it doesn't seem to be actually invoked for running the script.

Any additional advice?

Thx.

Alain

=== Output of http://localhost/perl/printenv.pl ===

SCRIPT_NAME: /perl/printenv.pl
SERVER_NAME: localhost
SystemRoot: C:\Windows
SERVER_ADMIN: admin [at] localhos
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive
REQUEST_METHOD: GET
HTTP_ACCEPT: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
SCRIPT_FILENAME: C:/wamp/www/perl/printenv.pl
COMSPEC: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe|
SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.12.3
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
WINDIR: C:\Windows
QUERY_STRING:
REMOTE_PORT: 56619
PATHEXT: .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
SERVER_PORT: 80
SERVER_SIGNATURE:
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: fr-ca,fr;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
REMOTE_ADDR: 127.0.0.1
SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
PATH: C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\; C:\Users\Desiletsa\android-sdks\tools;
MOD_PERL_API_VERSION: 2
REQUEST_URI: /perl/printenv.pl
GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1
SERVER_ADDR: 127.0.0.1
DOCUMENT_ROOT: C:/wamp/www
HTTP_HOST: localhost
MOD_PERL: mod_perl/2.0.4

> OK, so I uninstalled Apache 64 bits, and installed Apache 32 bits instead.
>
> Now, Apache starts correctly with the following two lines in httpd.conf
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> Only problem is that my scripts still seem to run under the conventional CGI interface, instead of mod_perl. For example, if I run this script:
>
> ----------------
> #!C:/Perl/bin/perl
>
> print "Content-type: text/plain\r\n\r\n";
>
> print "Server's gateway interface:\t$ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE}\n\n";
>
> print "Other values of the server environment:\n";
> foreach my $a_key ( keys %ENV ) {
> print "$a_key:\t$ENV{$a_key}\n";
> }
> ------------------
>
> I get "Server's gateway interface: CGI/1.1", and according to this page:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Testing_via_a_CGI_script
>
> this means I am NOT running mod_perl. If I WAS running mod_perl, I should be seeing something like 'CGI-Perl/1.1' instead.
>
> Note that I saw the following line in httpd.conf
>
> ---------------
> LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
> ---------------
>
> I tried commenting it out, thinking that maybe this was overriding mod_perl. But when I do that, my scripts don't run as a perl script anymore. Instead, the source code of the scripts is displayed in the browser when I try to invoke it.
>
> I have looked through all the documentation I could find about installing mod_perl for windows, and I can't find any additional step beyond the ones I have taken so far.
>
> Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

If your cgi scripts are only Perl and shell scripts, then you need to add something to
your <Location /cgi-bin> section. Look here :

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html#Registry_Scripts

Basically, it means that you need to tell Apache that for the files in that directory, the
Apache handler (the module which generates the responses to the requests) is mod_perl.

(mod_perl is smart enough that when it sees a shell script, it will call the shell to run
it, instead of itself).

Make sure that you read the caveats of running scripts under mod_perl (persistence e.g.).

> Thx.
>
> Alain Désilets

bac2bac at bac2bac

Nov 29, 2011, 2:04 PM

Re: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Looks like you're all set and running mod_perl 2.

In mod_perl 2, $ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE} is not special. It was only
special in mod_perl 1, in that it said CGI-Perl/1.1 under mod_perl 1
rather than CGI/1.1.

To see if you're running under mod_perl 2, check $ENV{MOD_PERL}.
You see that it's set in your system from what you've cut and pasted so
you are running under mod_perl 2!

Good luck!

On 11/29/2011 1:02 PM, Desilets, Alain wrote:
> [...]
> WINDIR: C:\Windows
> QUERY_STRING:
> REMOTE_PORT: 56619
> PATHEXT: .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
> HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
> SERVER_PORT: 80
> SERVER_SIGNATURE:
> HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: fr-ca,fr;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
> REMOTE_ADDR: 127.0.0.1
> SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
> PATH: C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\; C:\Users\Desiletsa\android-sdks\tools;

>>> perl512.dll: i386
>>> mod_perl.so: i386
>>>
>>> I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?
>> No.
>>> Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?
>>
>> a 64-bit Windows can run 32 and 64 applications. But within an application, you cannot
>> mix and match.
>> So either get a 64-bit perl and mod_perl, or get a 32-bit Apache.
>> I would suggest a 32-bit Apache, as for a workstation, you are unlikely to need the extra
>> memory that 64-bit would allow you to use; and your 32-bit applications will use less
>> memory in vain.

aw at ice-sa

Nov 29, 2011, 2:28 PM

Re: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Desilets, Alain wrote:
> Thx again for the help. I tried what you suggested (after reading gAzZaLi's answer), but it still doesn't seem to help.

I think it does, but read on.

> Here are the lines I have added to my httpd.conf file:
>
> ----------------
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl512.dll"
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> ----------------
>
> And a bit further...
>
> ------------------
> Alias /perl/ "C:/wamp/www/perl/"
> <Location /perl/>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
> PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
> Options +ExecCGI
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Location>
> ------------------
>
> I have a script C:/wamp/www/perl/printenv.pl, which prints the content of the %ENV hash. When I run it, I still get CGI/1.1 for the GATEWAY_INTERFACE key. See output at the end of this message.
>
> Note that I do get
>
> MOD_PERL: mod_perl/2.0.4

and you also get MOD_PERL_API_VERSION.
I believe that you actually get those only when the script is being run by mod_perl.

See this : http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/coding.html#Environment_Variables

Of course, with a script like printenv.pl, you will not notice a big difference in
response times.

But try this :
At the beginning of your script, add these lines :

use Apache::RequestRec;

my $r=shift;
print "Hostname : ",$r->hostname,"\n";

if you don't get an error, and you see the line in the output, then for sure you /are/
running under mod_perl.

read here for more info :
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/coding/coding.html#Getting_the_C__r__Object

> Which seems to indicate that mod_perl is indeed installed. But it doesn't seem to be actually invoked for running the script.
>
> Any additional advice?
>
> Thx.
>
> Alain
>
> === Output of http://localhost/perl/printenv.pl ===
>
> SCRIPT_NAME: /perl/printenv.pl
> SERVER_NAME: localhost
> SystemRoot: C:\Windows
> SERVER_ADMIN: admin [at] localhos
> HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
> HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive
> REQUEST_METHOD: GET
> HTTP_ACCEPT: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
> SCRIPT_FILENAME: C:/wamp/www/perl/printenv.pl
> COMSPEC: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe|
> SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.12.3
> HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
> WINDIR: C:\Windows
> QUERY_STRING:
> REMOTE_PORT: 56619
> PATHEXT: .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
> HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
> SERVER_PORT: 80
> SERVER_SIGNATURE:
> HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: fr-ca,fr;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
> REMOTE_ADDR: 127.0.0.1
> SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
> PATH: C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Perl64\site\bin;C:\Perl64\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\; C:\Users\Desiletsa\android-sdks\tools;
> MOD_PERL_API_VERSION: 2
> REQUEST_URI: /perl/printenv.pl
> GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1
> SERVER_ADDR: 127.0.0.1
> DOCUMENT_ROOT: C:/wamp/www
> HTTP_HOST: localhost
> MOD_PERL: mod_perl/2.0.4

>>> perl512.dll: i386
>>> mod_perl.so: i386
>>>
>>> I would think that a 64 Apache is able to load a 32 bit DLL, no?
>> No.
>>> Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions?
>> a 64-bit Windows can run 32 and 64 applications. But within an application, you cannot
>> mix and match.
>> So either get a 64-bit perl and mod_perl, or get a 32-bit Apache.
>> I would suggest a 32-bit Apache, as for a workstation, you are unlikely to need the extra
>> memory that 64-bit would allow you to use; and your 32-bit applications will use less
>> memory in vain.

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 30, 2011, 7:00 AM

RE: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

> But try this :
> At the beginning of your script, add these lines :
>
> use Apache::RequestRec;
>
> my $r=shift;
> print "Hostname : ",$r->hostname,"\n";
>
> if you don't get an error, and you see the line in the output, then for sure you /are/
> running under mod_perl.

I did this and it gave me an error at this line:

> use Apache::RequestRec;

But if I replace it by

> use Apache2::RequestRec;

Then the script loads without problem. I have put a BEGIN{} block in my printenv.pl script, which prints something on the screen, and it does seem to only print the first time I execute the script. So it does seem like mod_perl is indeed working.

I guess the documentation on this page is not accurate then:

Alain.Desilets at nrc-cnrc

Nov 30, 2011, 7:00 AM

RE: Installing mod_perl on Windows 7 [In reply to]

Oups... pressed the wrong key and sent it before I was done.

I guess the documentation on this page is not accurate then:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Testing_via_CGI_script

because I'm definitely NOT seeing GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI-Perl/1.1 (it's CGI/1.1).

Thanks a million! You have saved me hours and hours of digging around and hunting down red herrings.

Alain