Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ModPerl

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2

practicalperl at gmail

Feb 24, 2011, 2:49 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2

oops is there any big player using Mason these days?

davehodg at gmail

Feb 24, 2011, 5:06 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

Lovefilm big enough for you?

perrin at elem

Feb 24, 2011, 5:36 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:49 AM, xiaolan <practicalperl [at] gmail> wrote:
> oops is there any big player using Mason these days?

Amazon.com. And this list is probably dated, but I'm sure some of
them still exist: http://masonhq.com/?MasonPoweredSites

I work on some sites using Mason, including MoveOn.org, ONE.org, and
credoaction.com.

- Perrin

swartz at pobox

Feb 24, 2011, 5:39 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

Four years ago, Amazon.com was completing a huge conversion to a new site platform including Mason as the primary templating language. While they may be moving away from it in newer development, I'd have to guess a substantial part of the site still uses it. They still mention Mason in many current job postings.

Jon

On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:06 AM, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> Lovefilm big enough for you?
>
> On 24 Feb 2011, at 10:49, xiaolan wrote:
>
>> oops is there any big player using Mason these days?
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Perrin Harkins <perrin [at] elem> wrote:
>>> In case any of you Mason users on the mod_perl list aren't on the Mason list...
>>>
>>> - Perrin

swartz at pobox

Feb 24, 2011, 5:46 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

Also, I realize now that "first major version in ten years" was a potentially misleading choice of words. Mason was actively developed until 2006, and has had maintenance releases since then. It's just that 1.00 was released ten years ago.

aw at ice-sa

Feb 24, 2011, 12:56 PM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

Jonathan Swartz wrote:
> Also, I realize now that "first major version in ten years" was a potentially misleading choice of words. Mason was actively developed until 2006, and has had maintenance releases since then. It's just that 1.00 was released ten years ago.

Hi.

I do not really know Mason (yet), but I just want to say that it is an /immense/ tribute
to its developer(s) that a package that was developed more than 10 years ago is still in
active use now, by many sites, and many very large sites.
(The same goes for mod_perl of course).

And when one compares the average of 2-3 minor releases per year over the last 5 years,
with the monthly MS patches ...
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms11-feb.mspx)

This being said, I would like to report a small bug, I believe more of the web server than
Mason, on the very reference page mentioned by Perrin :

http://masonhq.com/code/history.html

The last line of the "1.43 Dec 25, 2009" section shows an encoding problem.
The name of Frédéric Brière seems to be encoded as UTF-8, but the page is rendered in
iso-8859-1.
The Content-type header returned by the server does not provide a character encoding (and
neither does the html page itself) so the browser defaults to iso-8859-1.

Since this is a "marketing" kind of page, it would look nicer if it appeared correctly.
;-)

(Request-Line) GET /code/history.html HTTP/1.1

(Status-Line) HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:55:59 GMT
Server Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_perl/1.29
Content-Type text/html
X-Cache MISS from www.masonhq.com
Keep-Alive timeout=15, max=100
Connection Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding chunked

swartz at pobox

Feb 25, 2011, 5:37 AM

Re: [Mason] ANNOUNCE: Mason 2 [In reply to]

Thanks André. I haven't touched the site in a while but it's due for an overhaul (and conversion to Mason 2) so will hopefully fix things then.