Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ModPerl

PerlRun Subroutine redefine warnings

mkirank1 at gmail

Aug 26, 2009, 5:07 PM

PerlRun Subroutine redefine warnings

Hi,
I am running mod_perl/2.0.4 on Linux , I keep getting the subroutine
redefined warnings. Perlrun reloads the cgi on each request so why do
I keep getting these warnings ? Is there any other way to avoid this
other than no warnings qw/redefine/ in my scripts. Am I missing
something here ?.

Here is a minimal script I tested with

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
print "Content-type:text/html \n\n";

test();
test();

sub test {
print " in test \n";
}

and here is my httpd.conf

PerlModule ModPerl::PerlRun
<Location /cgi-bin>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
PerlSetVar ReloadAll Off

PerlResponseHandler +ModPerl::PerlRun
PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
PerlSendHeader On
Options +ExecCGI
</Location>
PerlRequire "/opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/startup.pl"
# I modify @INC in startup.pl and do not load any modules

Error in the error_log
Subroutine test redefined at /opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/test1.pl line 22.
Subroutine test redefined at /opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/test1.pl line 10.

Thanks,
Kiran

mike at acorg

Aug 26, 2009, 6:20 PM

Re: PerlRun Subroutine redefine warnings [In reply to]

This error occurs when you have two subroutines with the same name.

Mike O'Krongli
President and CTO
Acorg Inc
519 432-1185
> I am running mod_perl/2.0.4 on Linux , I keep getting the subroutine
> redefined warnings. Perlrun reloads the cgi on each request so why do
> I keep getting these warnings ? Is there any other way to avoid this
> other than no warnings qw/redefine/ in my scripts. Am I missing
> something here ?.
>
> Here is a minimal script I tested with
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> print "Content-type:text/html \n\n";
>
> test();
> test();
>

> sub test {
> print " in test \n";
> }
>
> and here is my httpd.conf
>
> PerlModule ModPerl::PerlRun
> <Location /cgi-bin>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
> PerlSetVar ReloadAll Off
>
> PerlResponseHandler +ModPerl::PerlRun
> PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
> PerlSendHeader On
> Options +ExecCGI
> </Location>
> PerlRequire "/opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/startup.pl"
> # I modify @INC in startup.pl and do not load any modules
>
> Error in the error_log
> Subroutine test redefined at /opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/test1.pl line 22.
> Subroutine test redefined at /opt/nms/www/cgi-bin/test1.pl line 10.
>
> Thanks,
> Kiran

mkirank1 at gmail

Aug 27, 2009, 7:55 AM

Re: PerlRun Subroutine redefine warnings [In reply to]

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply, If you check my script there is no other
subroutine with the same name and I do not import any modules , I
renamed the subroutine to foo and I still get the same warnings.

Thanks,
Kiran

adam.prime at utoronto

Aug 27, 2009, 8:58 AM

Re: PerlRun Subroutine redefine warnings [In reply to]

Kiran Kumar wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> Thanks for your reply, If you check my script there is no other
> subroutine with the same name and I do not import any modules , I
> renamed the subroutine to foo and I still get the same warnings.

There's an old thread from someone else reporting this, though it
doesn't have any sort of resolution.

http://marc.info/?t=93783022000001&r=1&w=2

Theoretically, while running under PerlRun that shouldn't happen.

Adam