Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Embperl

execution time

ModPerl embperl RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bkim at coe

Nov 28, 2006, 2:52 PM

execution time

Is there a way to determine the time taken to process a file?

I have EMBPERL_DEBUG=10477. It sometimes shows the time to process a
request, but usually do not show the file name or processing time stat at
all for subsequent requests. I guess it has to do with caching, possibly,
but is there a way to reliably log processing time?

Thanks.

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

For additional commands, e-mail: embperl-help [at] perl

richter at ecos

Dec 10, 2006, 8:29 PM

RE: execution time [In reply to]

Hi,

> Is there a way to determine the time taken to process a file?
>
> I have EMBPERL_DEBUG=10477. It sometimes shows the time to
> process a request, but usually do not show the file name or
> processing time stat at all for subsequent requests. I guess
> it has to do with caching, possibly, but is there a way to
> reliably log processing time?

You should see Times for Parsing, Compiling, Running the file and a allover
time in your log file, all with prefix PERF:

What else do you need?

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

For additional commands, e-mail: embperl-help [at] perl

bkim at coe

Dec 13, 2006, 10:44 AM

RE: execution time [In reply to]

I was not seeing all my requests. I changed it now to

PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_DEBUG 67135725

but still, I'm not seeing all my requests in the embperl log.

I don't have any caching option set so I guess it should not be served
from cache. Here's the problem.

The following is the sequence of log entries. EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL is a
pseudonym for the requested file.

For example, after these entries in the log, I made 7-8 requests to the
same page. It didn't matter which computer and which browser I used to
make subsequent requests. (So session doesn't seem to play a role here.)

But in the logged sequence, the cache, seems to be updated since it's
newer. I'm seeing this sequence for all files. Is this normal?

Could it be that, since the page is cached, it will not make into the log from some unintended cache options? Where should I check?

=========================================================================================x
[5805]Use App: Embperl
[5805]Formdata[--SNIP--] length = 42
[5805]FORM: [--SNIP--]
[5805]Using APACHE for output[--SNIP--]
[6691] Use Recipe Embperl
[5805]CACHE: Created new CacheItem *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL; expires_in=0 expires_func=no expires_filename=EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL cache=no
[6691]SYNTAX: switch to Embperl::Syntax::Embperl
[5805]CACHE: Created new CacheItem *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL* epparse:Embperl; expires_in=0 expires_func=no expires_filename= cache=no
[5805]CACHE: Created new CacheItem *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL* epparse:Embperl*epcompile:; expires_in=0 expires_func=no expires_filename= cache=yes
[5805]CACHE: Created new CacheItem *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL* epparse:Embperl*epcompile:*eprun:
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL stat file EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL mtime=1165962583 size=19511
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL expired because file EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL changed
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl expired because dependencies is expired or newer
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl* epcompile: expired because dependencies is expired or newer
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl* epcompile:*eprun:[--SNIP--] because dependencies is expired or newer
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl* epcompile:*eprun:[--SNIP--] get from provider
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl* epcompile: get from provider
[5805]CACHE: *file:EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL*epparse:Embperl get from provider
[5805]Reading EMBPERL-PAGE.EPL as input using PerlIO (19511 Bytes)[--SNIP--]
[5805]PERF: Parse Start Time: 90 ms
[5805]PERF: Parse End Time: 100 ms
[5805]PERF: Parse Time: 10 ms
[5805]PERF: DOMSTAT: MemUsage = 69192 Bytes numNodes = 296 numLevelLookup = 0 numLevelLookupItem = 0 numStr = 218 numReplace = 0
[5805]TAB: get EscMode = 0, Used = 1
[5805]DEF: Line 1:
# any initialisation could be put here
$DB::single = 1 ;
$maxrow=100;$maxcol=10;

_ep_cp(1) ;
[--SNIP--]

# Include here any cleanup code
$DB::single = 0 ;

_ep_cp(53) ;

[5805]PERF: Compile Start Time: 100 ms
[5805]PERF: Compile End Time: 110 ms
[5805]PERF: After Compile Exec End Time: 110 ms
[5805]PERF: Perl Compile End Time: 1060 ms
[5805]PERF: Compile Time: 960 ms
[5805]PERF: DOMSTAT: MemUsage = 70232 Bytes numNodes = 252 numLevelLookup = 0 numLevelLookupItem = 0 numStr = 217 numReplace = 12
[5805]EVAL< <unknown>
[5805]TAB: set EscMode = 0, Used = 1
[--SNIP--]
nRepeatLevel=10
[5805]EVAL> <undefined>
[5805]PERF: Run Start Time: 1060 ms
[5805]PERF: Run End Time: 1270 ms
[5805]PERF: Run Time: 210 ms
[5805]PERF: DOMSTAT: MemUsage = 77252 Bytes numNodes = 418 numLevelLookup = 35 numLevelLookupItem = 11 numStr = 283 numReplace = 152

For additional commands, e-mail: embperl-help [at] perl

bkim at coe

Dec 13, 2006, 10:54 AM

RE: execution time [In reply to]

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:
> You should see Times for Parsing, Compiling, Running the file and a allover
> time in your log file, all with prefix PERF:

In fact, the purpose of the exercise is to find reasons for a slow page.
It is sometimes slow and sometimes fast.

I assume I might need to force logging for each [- Execute ... -] call or
database call, using print LOG to time it.

But, is there a good tool to use to profile the loading of the page? I
would appreciate any recommendations and if possible, the setup for using
it with embperl. (The few profiling modules seem more tuned for mod_perl
scripts.)

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

For additional commands, e-mail: embperl-help [at] perl

bkim at coe

Dec 13, 2006, 11:05 AM

RE: execution time [In reply to]

Sorry, some more details: