Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Docs-dev

[CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e

 

 

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


pgollucci at p6m7g8

Jan 27, 2009, 9:52 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4498 views)
Permalink
[CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e

Hi All,

Apache Infrastructure finally with some coaxing gave us access to the _real_ www.apache.org servers which host
all the project sites as well.

So perl.apache.org is now served from them. That means we get the .us and .eu mirrors, and are not affected by maintenance.

The only issue here is that site uses swish-e on FreeBSD 7.1-stable amd64 to build 'indexes' via the crons.
The crons are not run on the 'real' hosts and never will be. The results of the svn checkout + crons are
rsynced across to 'real' servers.

Unfortunately, the generated swish-e artifacts are not architecture independent and are not usable on SunOS.

For the time being, http://perl.apache.org/search/swish.cgi is
ProxyPass'd to the FreeBSD machine so as to not break the site.

It would be truly good to find a way to do this so we don't need this stop-gap whether with swish-e or without.




------------------------------------------------------------------------
1024D/DB9B8C1C B90B FBC3 A3A1 C71A 8E70 3F8C 75B8 8FFB DB9B 8C1C
Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci [at] p6m7g8) c: 703.336.9354
Consultant - P6M7G8 Inc. http://p6m7g8.net
Senior Sys Admin - RideCharge, Inc. http://ridecharge.com
Contractor - PositiveEnergyUSA http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer - FreeBSD Foundation http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


moseley at hank

Jan 27, 2009, 10:21 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4349 views)
Permalink
Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:52:01AM -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apache Infrastructure finally with some coaxing gave us access to
> the _real_ www.apache.org servers which host all the project sites
> as well.
>
> So perl.apache.org is now served from them. That means we get the
> .us and .eu mirrors, and are not affected by maintenance.
>
> The only issue here is that site uses swish-e on FreeBSD 7.1-stable
> amd64 to build 'indexes' via the crons. The crons are not run on
> the 'real' hosts and never will be. The results of the svn checkout
> + crons are rsynced across to 'real' servers.
>
> Unfortunately, the generated swish-e artifacts are not architecture
> independent and are not usable on SunOS.

Hum, so the site is rsynced from the FreeBSD machine to the SunOS
machine? And since the indexes are built on the FreeBSD machine they
can't be used on the SunOS machine?

Is the swish-e binary built on the SunOS machine? No way to get the
indexes built on the target machine? Is they solution to find a
similar machine where the indexes can be built?

It's been a while, but I think it's true that the indexes are not
portable between 64 and 32 bit machines.

What about moving to Google for the search feature?


--
Bill Moseley
moseley [at] hank
Sent from my iMutt


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


pgollucci at p6m7g8

Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4350 views)
Permalink
Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e [In reply to]

Bill Moseley wrote:
> Is the swish-e binary built on the SunOS machine? No way to get the
> indexes built on the target machine?
Yes, each has their own binary and its the same version.

> Is they solution to find a
> similar machine where the indexes can be built?
Nope, thats not an option.

> It's been a while, but I think it's true that the indexes are not
> portable between 64 and 32 bit machines.
Both are 64bit. amd64 vs sparc64

> What about moving to Google for the search feature?
This is what infrastructure would actually prefer. Take a gander at the way it works
on httpd.apache.org.

My only concern here is that you loose all th wonderful formating and styling......

But Feh, theres a chance google might do it better?
[nothing against you bill]

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1024D/DB9B8C1C B90B FBC3 A3A1 C71A 8E70 3F8C 75B8 8FFB DB9B 8C1C
Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci [at] p6m7g8) c: 703.336.9354
Consultant - P6M7G8 Inc. http://p6m7g8.net
Senior Sys Admin - RideCharge, Inc. http://ridecharge.com
Contractor - PositiveEnergyUSA http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer - FreeBSD Foundation http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


adam.prime at utoronto

Jan 28, 2009, 5:56 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4367 views)
Permalink
Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e [In reply to]

Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> What about moving to Google for the search feature?
> This is what infrastructure would actually prefer. Take a gander at the
> way it works
> on httpd.apache.org.
>
> My only concern here is that you loose all th wonderful formating and
> styling......
>
> But Feh, theres a chance google might do it better?
> [nothing against you bill]
>

Google site search could be set up and tested (and possibly tweaked?)
before committing to switching to that system. You can have a quick
look at what it would find / how it would look here:

http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

It doesn't sound like the problems with swish-e are really fixable given
the infrastructure restraints, so it seems like looking elsewhere might
be the way to go.

Adam

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


moseley at hank

Jan 28, 2009, 9:12 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4344 views)
Permalink
Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:51:03AM -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> It's been a while, but I think it's true that the indexes are not
>> portable between 64 and 32 bit machines.
> Both are 64bit. amd64 vs sparc64

Well, the indexes should be portable between them, but it would not
surprise me if there were differences in the two compilers so that the
indexes get written differently -- not a lot of testing was done on
64bit platforms. The "portability" of the swish indexes is just that
items are written in network order. But, swish still uses the native
sizes on the platform in use.

>> What about moving to Google for the search feature?
> This is what infrastructure would actually prefer. Take a gander at the way it works
> on httpd.apache.org.
>
> My only concern here is that you loose all th wonderful formating and styling......
>
> But Feh, theres a chance google might do it better?
> [nothing against you bill]

Nobody confuses Swish with Google. I think Google would be the
easiest approach.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley [at] hank
Sent from my iMutt


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


hedges at scriptdolphin

Jan 28, 2009, 9:38 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4344 views)
Permalink
Re: [CALL FOR HELP]: swish-e [In reply to]

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > My only concern here is that you loose all th wonderful
> > formating and styling......
> >
> > But Feh, theres a chance google might do it better?
> > [nothing against you bill]
>
> Nobody confuses Swish with Google. I think Google would
> be the easiest approach.

I guess I could not build search indexes on my laptop for
searching my downloaded manual when I'm not on-line....
Maybe I'm the only one who does that. :-)

Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.