Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Docs-dev

mod_perl success story ...

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

alek at komar

mod_perl success story ...

Docs-Perl Folks,

On the "Success Stories" page:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/sites.html
it says "let us know about it" if you have an interesting
mod_perl application which goes to this Email address
rather than to an individual person, so I guess I need to
post to the list to ask/suggest one.

I converted to using mod_perl in 2004 for my Christmas Webcam
http://www.komar.org/cgi-bin/xmas_webcam
and it needless to say, I wish I had done it back in 2002 as
mod_perl just rocks. ... ApacheBench showed the ability to
handle 20 requests/second versus 4 and (after setting
KeepAlive=NO in httpd.conf), it handled a fair amount
of load from quite a few sites - some detailed numbers at:
http://www.komar.org/faq/slashdot-effect/2004-christmas/

I'm not sure how "interesting" this is, but it ended up being
fairly funny as it was a fun little hoax - see:
http://www.komar.org/xmas/hoax/
but the use of mod_perl was real and saved the day ... or at
least the web server! ;-)

So having written all of the above, would it be worthwhile
for me to condense this down to a few sentances as a
possible addition to the success stories page?
And if so, should I coordinate with someone off-list?

Thanx,
alek

P.S. Needless to say, I'm a HUGE fan of mod_perl ...
and with the recent release of the finalized 2.x version,
I'm planning to finally switch over to Apache2.x sometime
in the next few months - thank you Perl Mongers!

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

perrin at elem

Re: mod_perl success story ... [In reply to]

Hi Alex,

I recall giving you some advice about performance tuning on Slashdot. You
need to use a reverse proxy next year!

> So having written all of the above, would it be worthwhile
> for me to condense this down to a few sentances as a
> possible addition to the success stories page?

Yes, please.

> And if so, should I coordinate with someone off-list?

No, just send it to the list.

- Perrin

Re: mod_perl success story ... [In reply to]

for the mod_perl success stories - please see:
http://www.komar.org/mod_perl-success.html

As noted, I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments on the wording
as my writing leaves a bit to be desired.

Thanx,
alek

P.S. I have a lot of work to do, but in case anyone is interested,
I might actually do it for real in 2005 - more details at:
http://www.komar.org/xmas/real/
mod_perl would, of course, be an essential part of that.

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

frank at wiles

Re: mod_perl success story ... [In reply to]

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:54:55 -0600
"Alek O. Komarnitsky" <alek [at] komar> wrote:

> for the mod_perl success stories - please see:
> http://www.komar.org/mod_perl-success.html
>
> As noted, I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments on the wording
> as my writing leaves a bit to be desired.

Looks good to me, I'll get a patch worked up for the docs.

Re: mod_perl success story ... [In reply to]

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:54:55 -0600
"Alek O. Komarnitsky" <alek [at] komar> wrote:

> for the mod_perl success stories - please see:
> http://www.komar.org/mod_perl-success.html
>
> As noted, I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments on the wording
> as my writing leaves a bit to be desired.

Attached is the patch for putting it on the site.

---------------------------------
Frank Wiles <frank [at] wiles>
http://www.wiles.org
---------------------------------
Attachments: komar.org.patch (3.96 KB)

geoff at modperlcookbook

Re: mod_perl success story ... [In reply to]

Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:54:55 -0600
> "Alek O. Komarnitsky" <alek [at] komar> wrote:

>>for the mod_perl success stories - please see:
>> http://www.komar.org/mod_perl-success.html
>>
>>As noted, I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments on the wording
>>as my writing leaves a bit to be desired.
>

> Attached is the patch for putting it on the site.

committed, thakns.

--Geoff