Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Docs-dev

mirroring

 

 

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


randy at theoryx5

Jul 24, 2002, 10:16 AM

Post #1 of 9 (3295 views)
Permalink
mirroring

Hi,
I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
in case anyone wants to try.

best regards,
randy

===========================================================
=head1 NAME

mirror - mirroring the mod_perl site

=head1 PREREQUISITES

=over 3

=item * Perl

=item * a cvs client

=item * swish-e (version 2.1-dev), from http://www.swish-e.org/

=back

=head1 DESCRIPTION

Mirroring the mod_perl site starts off by obtaining the
sources from C<cvs>; this may be done as

% cd /usr/local/src
% cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs [at] cvs:/home/cvspublic login
% cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs [at] cvs:/home/cvspublic co modperl-docs

which will place the sources under F</usr/local/src/modperl-docs>.
Next, decide the URL underneath which you wish modperl
documents to appear on your site. For example, if we wished access
to be under http://your.server/modperl/, then we could use
the following directives in F<httpd.conf>:

Alias /modperl/ "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/"
<Directory "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/search>
SetEnv SWISH_BINARY_PATH "/usr/local/bin/swish-e"
SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/search/modules"
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script cgi
</Directory>

Here, I<SWISH_BINARY_PATH> is the path to your swish-e binary.
You can then build the document set by (this could also be
used as a shell script to be run under cron to keep your site current):

% cd /usr/local/src/modperl-docs
% cvs -z9 up -dR
% export MODPERL_SITE='http://your.server/modperl'
% export SWISH_BINARY_PATH='/usr/local/bin/swish-e'
% bin/build
% bin/makeindex

Use the command appropriate for your shell in setting
the I<MODPERL_SITE> and I<SWISH_BINARY_PATH> environment
variables. You may see some errors from C<bin/build> about missing
Perl modules; these are available from CPAN. As well, if
your perl binary is not at F</usr/local/bin/perl>, you should
create the appropriate symbolic link.

The swish-e index files are built using a spidering program
which indexes the pages under what you set for I<MODPERL_SITE>.
A subtelty in this is present if there exists any links to your
site within the modperl documents, as the spidering
program will then start to follow these links. This can be
prevented by creating a temporary F<robots.txt> under
your I<DocumentRoot> which excludes these links outside
of your I<MODPERL_SITE>. The progress of the spidering
program can be monitored in your server's access log.

If all goes well, you should then create a shell script
to be run daily via cron to keep your site current - only the pages
changed since the last run will be regenerated.

=cut

================================================================


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


netmaster at digital-word

Jul 24, 2002, 2:31 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3134 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

Randy Kobes wrote:

> I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
> It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
> the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
> appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
> in case anyone wants to try.

Great job Randy. I have tested the mirror and everything works
perfectly. Good proof of concept and great documentation.

Well done.


--
Jonathan M. Hollin

Technical Director: Digital-Word Co. (http://digital-word.com/)
Co-ordinator: WYPUG (http://wypug.pm.org/)


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


stas at stason

Jul 29, 2002, 1:20 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3122 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

Randy Kobes wrote:
> Hi,
> I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
> It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
> the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
> appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
> in case anyone wants to try.

Great work Randy! Per Einar, am I right that you've started some notes
as well some time ago?

it seems that mirrors are inevitable ;) where should the "mirror setup"
doc go? where should the "mirrors" listing go?


__________________________________________________________________
Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
mailto:stas [at] stason http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


oh-sle at online

Jul 29, 2002, 9:23 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3151 views)
Permalink
RE: mirroring [In reply to]

>===== Original Message From Stas Bekman <stas [at] stason> =====
>Randy Kobes wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
>> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
>> It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
>> the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
>> appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
>> in case anyone wants to try.
>
>Great work Randy! Per Einar, am I right that you've started some notes
>as well some time ago?

Nope, Thomas said he'd take care of it, but I guess he's on vacation or
something. Randy's is great.

>it seems that mirrors are inevitable ;) where should the "mirror setup"
>doc go? where should the "mirrors" listing go?

told you so ;) Well, I thought about it, and wondered whether we should have
it privately to only have mirrors under our control... but I'm not sure.

The question is:
Do we want - many mirrors that we can't control?
- only a few mirrors that we know to be up to date?

I would suggest the 2nd one, because there isn't a simple way to link to many
mirrors anyway. It's much more practical to just allow a choice between
"America", "Europe", etc.

Then we would have to keep the doc to ourselves.

But of course, I'm not that sure. We also want to be as "open" as possible
about everything. What do others think?

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar [at] oslo


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


stas at stason

Jul 30, 2002, 8:15 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3125 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>===== Original Message From Stas Bekman <stas [at] stason> =====
>>Randy Kobes wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>> I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
>>> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
>>>It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
>>>the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
>>>appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
>>>in case anyone wants to try.
>>
>>Great work Randy! Per Einar, am I right that you've started some notes
>>as well some time ago?
>
>
> Nope, Thomas said he'd take care of it, but I guess he's on vacation or
> something. Randy's is great.
>
>
>>it seems that mirrors are inevitable ;) where should the "mirror setup"
>>doc go? where should the "mirrors" listing go?
>
>
> told you so ;) Well, I thought about it, and wondered whether we should have
> it privately to only have mirrors under our control... but I'm not sure.
>
> The question is:
> Do we want - many mirrors that we can't control?
> - only a few mirrors that we know to be up to date?
>
> I would suggest the 2nd one, because there isn't a simple way to link to many
> mirrors anyway. It's much more practical to just allow a choice between
> "America", "Europe", etc.
>
> Then we would have to keep the doc to ourselves.
>
> But of course, I'm not that sure. We also want to be as "open" as possible
> about everything. What do others think?

I'm in favor of a few mirrors under control. At least to start with.
Nothing is cast in stone. So I'll commit Randy's doc under admin/ so it
won't show up on the site?

Still, where the mirrors list should go? On the top level (including the
menu?)?

__________________________________________________________________
Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
mailto:stas [at] stason http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


randy at theoryx5

Jul 31, 2002, 10:43 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3148 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

[ ... ]

> I'm in favor of a few mirrors under control. At least to start with.
> Nothing is cast in stone. So I'll commit Randy's doc under admin/ so it
> won't show up on the site?
>
> Still, where the mirrors list should go? On the top level (including the
> menu?)?

Having potential mirrors follow a prescribed set of rules
is definitely desireable ... But maybe having a link to
how to mirror should be visible on the site? That may
prevent a number of people just using something like
wget to grab a snapshot and leave it at that - as Stas
well knows, a google search for "mod_perl guide" comes
up with some pretty dated copies of the guide ..

--
best regards,
randy


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


stas at stason

Jul 31, 2002, 7:45 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3123 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>
>>I'm in favor of a few mirrors under control. At least to start with.
>>Nothing is cast in stone. So I'll commit Randy's doc under admin/ so it
>>won't show up on the site?
>>
>>Still, where the mirrors list should go? On the top level (including the
>>menu?)?
>
>
> Having potential mirrors follow a prescribed set of rules
> is definitely desireable ... But maybe having a link to
> how to mirror should be visible on the site?

sure, where then? should we have a top level docset with two docs:

mirrors.html ("official" mirrors)
how_to_mirror.html (Randy's doc)

> That may
> prevent a number of people just using something like
> wget to grab a snapshot and leave it at that

which they will do anyway.

> - as Stas
> well knows, a google search for "mod_perl guide" comes
> up with some pretty dated copies of the guide ..

which was the main argument against encouraging mirroring :)



__________________________________________________________________
Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
mailto:stas [at] stason http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


randy at theoryx5

Jul 31, 2002, 9:08 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3109 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
[ ... ]
> > That may
> > prevent a number of people just using something like
> > wget to grab a snapshot and leave it at that
>
> which they will do anyway.
>
> > - as Stas
> > well knows, a google search for "mod_perl guide" comes
> > up with some pretty dated copies of the guide ..
>
> which was the main argument against encouraging mirroring :)

I guess what I was thinking is that there may be some who really
want to provide a local copy and will do it, by first choice,
officially, if that's available, or, if given no such guidance,
then unofficially. So making a mirroring procedure available,
plus perhaps getting listed on an official mirrors list, may cut
down on unofficial mirrors, plus might also make the mirrors make
an effort to stay current. Maybe :)

--
best regards,
randy


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl


stas at stason

Apr 8, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3126 views)
Permalink
Re: mirroring [In reply to]

[reply-all please :)]

Philip M. Golllucci wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Philip please see:
>> http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html#Mirroring_the_Site
>>
> Sphew... I thought I asked an FAQ. I read that... What I meant was
> would it actualy get any use by the community for me to put a mirror on
> a public server? I hope I didn't miss the answer to that 2x.
>
> If not, I'll save my bandwithd for an FBSD mirror.

As we decided not to try to maintain a list of mirrors and advertise
those, it's up to you. You can set up a mirror and somehow let others pick
it over the main one. This doc is really about just how to setup a
mirror... At the moment perl.apache.org is not really looking for official
mirrors :)

Thank you for offering one, Philip.


--
__________________________________________________________________
Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
mailto:stas [at] stason http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docs-dev-unsubscribe [at] perl
For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.