Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Docs-dev

on menu/body location problem

ModPerl docs-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

stas at stason

Jan 2, 2002, 10:26 PM

on menu/body location problem

I've noticed that the HTML for the menu comes after the main content
body. So if CSS is not supported you get the menu at the bottom, since
it's the last one in the HTML sequence.

Wouldn't this problem go away if we put the menu HTML code first? Any
reason for putting it last?

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

stas at stason

Jan 3, 2002, 2:16 AM

Re: on menu/body location problem [In reply to]

Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>I've noticed that the HTML for the menu comes after the main content
>>body. So if CSS is not supported you get the menu at the bottom, since
>>it's the last one in the HTML sequence.
>>
>>Wouldn't this problem go away if we put the menu HTML code first? Any
>>reason for putting it last?
>>
> The reason I did it this way is that I personally hate to have to
> scroll down to get to "real" content if I browse a site with lynx.
>
> Currently, if you don't have CSS enabled, the site looks like a "non-frame
> version" but you can still use it very well (although the navigation is
> more gopher-like, but thanks to the prev/next widget you /can/ move
> "sideways").
>
> If the menubar would come first, you'd have to scroll past it on every
> page, which I find annoying.
>
> IMO the page degrades better this way.
>
> Another (minor) advantage is that the content is displayed first. Nobody
> vists the mod_perl site to view our marvelous NavBar, the users are there
> for the content.

I understand your reasoning. But I doubt it will apply to the majority
of users. Especially for pages with a very long content. Not very user
friendly I must say. Users spend most of their time on the page reading
the content, the scrolling down takes a few moments. However when you
navigate the site looking for what you need to read this is going to be
a huge pain.

-1 on this concept. Shows that I didn't test it with lynx in first place
:( and was happy with what I saw under mozilla. Sorry for not doing this
in first place.

Any chance that we can have some very minimal tables to get things
working for non-CSS browsers, without hurting the current design?

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

domm at zsi

Jan 3, 2002, 2:41 AM

Re: on menu/body location problem [In reply to]

Hi!
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I've noticed that the HTML for the menu comes after the main content
> body. So if CSS is not supported you get the menu at the bottom, since
> it's the last one in the HTML sequence.
>
> Wouldn't this problem go away if we put the menu HTML code first? Any
> reason for putting it last?
The reason I did it this way is that I personally hate to have to
scroll down to get to "real" content if I browse a site with lynx.

Currently, if you don't have CSS enabled, the site looks like a "non-frame
version" but you can still use it very well (although the navigation is
more gopher-like, but thanks to the prev/next widget you /can/ move
"sideways").

If the menubar would come first, you'd have to scroll past it on every
page, which I find annoying.

IMO the page degrades better this way.

Another (minor) advantage is that the content is displayed first. Nobody
vists the mod_perl site to view our marvelous NavBar, the users are there
for the content.

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

lambretta at inet

Jan 4, 2002, 4:27 AM

Re: on menu/body location problem [In reply to]

> I understand your reasoning. But I doubt it will apply to the majority
> of users. Especially for pages with a very long content. Not very user
> friendly I must say. Users spend most of their time on the page reading
>
> the content, the scrolling down takes a few moments. However when you
> navigate the site looking for what you need to read this is going to be
>
> a huge pain.
>
> -1 on this concept. Shows that I didn't test it with lynx in first place

+1 for putting the 'left content' divs (menu, ads etc) in the upper part of the
html code

./allan (schipol, amsterdam)

For additional commands, e-mail: docs-dev-help [at] perl

domm at zsi

Jan 4, 2002, 1:39 PM

Re: on menu/body location problem [In reply to]

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:27:39PM +0100, lambretta [at] inet wrote:
> +1 for putting the 'left content' divs (menu, ads etc) in the upper part of the
> html code
OK, I'll change that.

--
D_OMM +----> http://domm.zsi.at <-----+