Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: Dev

Apache::DBI 1.07 requires global $r

ModPerl dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

fred at redhotpenguin

Jul 13, 2008, 2:40 PM

Apache::DBI 1.07 requires global $r

Just ran into this issue with Apache::DBI 1.07:

[Sun Jul 13 14:16:02 2008] [error] Global $r object is not available. Set:
PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
in httpd.conf at /home/phred/dev/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/Apache/DBI.pm
line 144.

Traced it from a bug report to:

and then

I see a couple issues with the patch that caused this, but I'm not sure
what problem the patch was trying to solve.

I can offer up some tuits to release 1.08 and roll that patch back. I'm
not sure how many users are using global $r with mod_perl, but I would
guess that the global request is a bigger issue than the problem which
the patch was supposed to solve.

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help [at] perl

perrin at elem

Jul 13, 2008, 7:01 PM

Re: Apache::DBI 1.07 requires global $r [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Fred Moyer <fred [at] redhotpenguin> wrote:
> I see a couple issues with the patch that caused this, but I'm not sure what
> problem the patch was trying to solve.

Looks like it was trying to solve the rollback cleanup not working at
all for MP2. Pretty serious bug.

> I can offer up some tuits to release 1.08 and roll that patch back. I'm not
> sure how many users are using global $r with mod_perl, but I would guess
> that the global request is a bigger issue than the problem which the patch
> was supposed to solve.

I think it's the opposite in this case. Enabling global $r is no
biggie and anyone can do it. Not having the rollback work is serious.

I'm about to be off the grid camping for a few days, but I can help
you figure out a fix for this when I get back if it's not resolved by
then.

- Perrin

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help [at] perl

fred at redhotpenguin

Jul 13, 2008, 8:39 PM

Re: Apache::DBI 1.07 requires global $r [In reply to]

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Fred Moyer <fred [at] redhotpenguin> wrote:
>> I see a couple issues with the patch that caused this, but I'm not sure what
>> problem the patch was trying to solve.
>
> Looks like it was trying to solve the rollback cleanup not working at
> all for MP2. Pretty serious bug.

Ah, yeah that is serious :)

>> I can offer up some tuits to release 1.08 and roll that patch back. I'm not
>> sure how many users are using global $r with mod_perl, but I would guess
>> that the global request is a bigger issue than the problem which the patch
>> was supposed to solve.
>
> I think it's the opposite in this case. Enabling global $r is no
> biggie and anyone can do it. Not having the rollback work is serious.

Coll, I will roll with global $r for now.

> I'm about to be off the grid camping for a few days, but I can help
> you figure out a fix for this when I get back if it's not resolved by
> then.

Great. Thanks for the response.

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help [at] perl

pgollucci at p6m7g8

Jul 14, 2008, 2:50 PM

Re: Apache::DBI 1.07 requires global $r [In reply to]

> Coll, I will roll with global $r for now.
Fred, if you want to patch it go for, you should have SVN commits to it.
If not, let me know I'll commit the patch.

Its been on my back burner for a while.

I'd rather release though unless you feel compelled to do so.