Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ASP

ASP and cPanel/WHM server

ModPerl asp RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

support at protosky

Jul 4, 2005, 10:41 PM

ASP and cPanel/WHM server

I am trying to get ASP working under my cPanel/WHM linux server. I've installed Apache::ASP perl module via CPAN install and the module install went ok without giving any errors. However when I run the test asp file, it didn't work. When I check the server, I found out that mod_perl is not installed yet.

So, I tried to install mod_perl and fetch the latet mod_perl. Upon installing of the mod_perl manually, it is asking for the src directory of the apache and also asking for whether it can install httpd in that src folder. I canceld the installation at this stage (only two questions of the src location and whether it can install httpd in that src directory).

Please let me know how do I install mod_perl without affecting the operations of the current cPanel/WHM and it's later update/upgrade functions.

Thanks in advance.

josh at chamas

Jul 24, 2005, 4:37 PM

Re: ASP and cPanel/WHM server [In reply to]

Support wrote:
> I am trying to get ASP working under my cPanel/WHM linux server. I've
> installed Apache::ASP perl module via CPAN install and the module
> install went ok without giving any errors. However when I run the test
> asp file, it didn't work. When I check the server, I found out that
> mod_perl is not installed yet.

Honestly if you want to continue to work with your cPanel supported
server, I would not mess with it, unless you are willing to do a lot
of extra work.

Now if this is an Apache 2 server, it may not be so bad to compile
in mod_perl, and drop it in as a DSO and go from there. But would
not do a Apache 1.3.x static type mod_perl compile with your cPanel
server, just configuration headaches.

> So, I tried to install mod_perl and fetch the latet mod_perl. Upon
> installing of the mod_perl manually, it is asking for the src directory
> of the apache and also asking for whether it can install httpd in that
> src folder. I canceld the installation at this stage (only two questions
> of the src location and whether it can install httpd in that src directory).

For building & installing mod_perl, you should really direct questions
to the mod_perl list. The INSTALL instructions for mod_perl 2 are pretty clear
in the source download.

> Please let me know how do I install mod_perl without affecting the
> operations of the current cPanel/WHM and it's later update/upgrade
> functions.

Right, don't count on it.

One thing to consider is setting up a server on a high port running mod_perl,
and then doing a ProxyPass to it for certain URLs like /perl/ etc.

Another thing to consider is using the asp-perl script in CGI mode to
run Apache::ASP scripts. This does not require mod_perl but is much slower.
For more on this topic, please see:
http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html#Standalone%20Cbddd74cc

Regards,

Josh