Mailing List Archive: ModPerl: ASP
Problem with PDF files

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

dixonjon at lycos

Problem with PDF files

I am running a website where I want to control access to the various files. I have the directory setup in httpd.conf with:

<Files ~ (\.asp)>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global /storage/t212
PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
PerlSetVar RequestBinaryRead On
</Files>
<Files ~ (\.html)>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global /storage/t212
PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
PerlSetVar RequestBinaryRead On
</Files>
<Files ~ (\.doc)>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global /storage/t212
PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
PerlSetVar RequestBinaryRead On
</Files>
<Files ~ (\.pdf)>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global /storage/t212
PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
PerlSetVar RequestBinaryRead On
</Files>

and the global.asa file that includes:

sub Script_OnStart {
$Basename = basename($0);
$Basename = 'index.asp' unless $Basename;
$Logged = $Session->{"Logged"};

$Response->Redirect("Login.asp")
unless ($Logged or $Basename eq 'Login.asp');

if ($Request->Form('logout')) {
$Session->Abandon();
$Response->Redirect("Login.asp");
}

if ($Basename =~ /\.css$/) {
$Response->{ContentType} = 'text/css';
open(FILE, $Basename) or die "File not found";
my $temp = $/;
$/ = undef;
my $data = <FILE>;
$Response->Clear;
$Response->AddHeader('Content-Length', length $data);
$Response->Write($data);
$/ = $temp;
$Response->End;
}

if ($Basename =~ /\.doc$/) {
$Response->{ContentType} = 'application/msword';
open(FILE, $Basename) or die "File not found: $Basename";
binmode FILE;
my $temp = $/;
$/ = undef;
my $data = <FILE>;
$Response->Clear;
$Response->AddHeader('Content-Length', length $data);
$Response->BinaryWrite($data);
$/ = $temp;
$Response->End;
}
if ($Basename =~ /\.pdf$/i) {
$Response->{ContentType} = 'application/pdf';
open(FILE, $Basename) or die "File not found: $Basename";
binmode FILE;
my $temp = $/;
$/ = undef;
my $data = <FILE>;
$Response->Clear;
$Response->AddHeader('Content-Length', length $data);
$Response->BinaryWrite($data);
$/ = $temp;
$Response->End;
}
if ($Basename =~ /\.html$/) {
$Response->{ContentType} = 'text/html';
open(FILE, $Basename) or die "File not found";
my $data = <FILE>;
$Response->Clear;
$Response->AddHeader('Content-Length', length $data);
$Response->Write($data);
$Response->End;
}

$Title = "$Name " . $Titles{$Basename};
$Response->Include('header.inc');

if ($Logged) {
$Admin = $Session->{Admin};
$User = $Session->{User};
$UniqueID = $Session->{UID};
$Perm = $Session->{Perm};
my $Hash = $Session->{Hash};
my $junk = $UniqueID . $User . $Perm;
unless ($Hash == crypt($junk,$Hash)) {
$Session->{"Logged"} = 0;
$Response->Redirect("Login.asp");
}
}
}

This works well for the .doc, .css, .html, and .asp files, but the pdf files always crash with an error along the lines of:
[error] error compiling blah.pdf: Unrecognized character \\xF9 at (eval 37) line 265. <--> , /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Apache/ASP.pm line 1462

In fact, even if I change the global.asa script to die at the beginning of Script_OnStart, I still get the same error for PDF files (unlike the other file types, where I get the error from the die command). This indicates to me that the PDF file is getting processed somehow differently from the other file types.

What am I overlooking here? How do I get my site to follow the global.asa directives for the PDF file just the same as it does for the DOC files?

Thanks,

Jon Dixon
dixonjon [at] lycos
http://dixonjon.tripod.com/