Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Users

fm-boost: Not seeing any effect

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mayuresh at acm

Mar 25, 2012, 8:59 AM

fm-boost: Not seeing any effect

Wonder what this app does as even without running it:

Nokia-N900:~# cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
120

whereas fm-boost script tries to set it to 118?

Anyway, after running it I still see the value not changing to 118. It
just remains 120 and there is no change in transmission range.

Mayuresh

paul.hartman+maemo at gmail

Mar 25, 2012, 9:18 AM

Re: fm-boost: Not seeing any effect [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh [at] acm> wrote:
> Wonder what this app does as even without running it:
>
> Nokia-N900:~# cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
> 120
>
> whereas fm-boost script tries to set it to 118?
>
> Anyway, after running it I still see the value not changing to 118. It
> just remains 120 and there is no change in transmission range.

I think fmtx default power was changed to 120 in kernel-power or CSSU
at some point. If you're using those then the fm-boost package is
obsolete.

pali.rohar at gmail

Mar 25, 2012, 9:30 AM

Re: fm-boost: Not seeing any effect [In reply to]

On Sunday 25 March 2012 11:18:00 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh [at] acm>
wrote:
> > Wonder what this app does as even without running it:
> >
> > Nokia-N900:~# cat
> > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level 120
> >
> > whereas fm-boost script tries to set it to 118?
> >
> > Anyway, after running it I still see the value not changing
> > to 118. It just remains 120 and there is no change in
> > transmission range.
> I think fmtx default power was changed to 120 in kernel-power
> or CSSU at some point. If you're using those then the fm-boost
> package is obsolete.

Yes in kernel-power v49 was default power_level changed to 120.
So then fm boost package can removed.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar [at] gmail

jknutar at nic

Mar 30, 2012, 1:19 PM

Re: fm-boost: Not seeing any effect [In reply to]

On Sunday 25 March 2012, Pali Rohár wrote:

> > I think fmtx default power was changed to 120 in kernel-power
> > or CSSU at some point. If you're using those then the fm-boost
> > package is obsolete.
>
> Yes in kernel-power v49 was default power_level changed to 120.
> So then fm boost package can removed.

Also in PR1.2 or 1.3 Nokia kernel the power setting was locked a bit,
but I don't remember the details.