Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Users

Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr

 

 

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


lnoferin at cybervalley

Aug 12, 2011, 6:42 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1080 views)
Permalink
Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr

Ciao a tutti,

now my apt seems to work fine but doing a

aptitude dist-upgrade

it want's to remove the package in subject
mp-fremantle-generic-pr

as I can understand it is to get updates from Nokia
so it is possible/preferable to remove it?

--
ciao
leandro
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


paul.hartman+maemo at gmail

Aug 12, 2011, 7:19 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1034 views)
Permalink
Re: Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Leandro sullo spippolino
<lnoferin [at] cybervalley> wrote:
> Ciao a tutti,
>
> now my apt seems to work fine but doing a
>
> aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> it want's to remove the package in subject
> mp-fremantle-generic-pr
>
> as I can understand it is to get updates from Nokia
> so it is possible/preferable to remove it?

There won't be any more new updates from Nokia, so I don't think it
really matters. If it's a new device/newly flashes I would use upgrade
to get latest packages from Nokia before trying dist-upgrade, just to
be sure you have everything the normal way first.

If you install CSSU* I think it will remove that package anyway. :)

* http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


marius at pov

Aug 12, 2011, 7:56 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1030 views)
Permalink
Re: Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 03:42:06PM +0200, Leandro sullo spippolino wrote:
> now my apt seems to work fine but doing a
>
> aptitude dist-upgrade

Note that dist-upgrade is notorious for breaking the system. Be very
careful with it.

> it want's to remove the package in subject
> mp-fremantle-generic-pr
>
> as I can understand it is to get updates from Nokia
> so it is possible/preferable to remove it?

It is possible. That will prevent you from getting new official
firmware updates over the air.

I wouldn't remove it unless I had a very good reason.

Marius Gedminas
--
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
-- Rich Kulawiec
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


lnoferin at cybervalley

Aug 12, 2011, 12:10 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1021 views)
Permalink
Re: Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr [In reply to]

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo [at] gmail> writes:

>> mp-fremantle-generic-pr
>>
>> as I can understand it is to get updates from Nokia
>> so it is possible/preferable to remove it?
>
> There won't be any more new updates from Nokia, so I don't think it
> really matters. If it's a new device/newly flashes I would use upgrade
> to get latest packages from Nokia before trying dist-upgrade, just to
> be sure you have everything the normal way first.

It is not a fresh install, I am using it more than an year.

> If you install CSSU* I think it will remove that package anyway. :)
>
> * http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Do you think CSSU is a good choice? I use N900 daily like computer and
phone.

--
Ciao
leandro
http://oivabkctz4ajdnwa.onion/blog/
gpg fingerprint: 54A4 2612 FD50 0313 7FED 6A91 DA5C 1552 E7A4 D6C2


paul.hartman+maemo at gmail

Aug 12, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1023 views)
Permalink
Re: Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Leandro sullo sgorbio
<lnoferin [at] cybervalley> wrote:
> Do you think CSSU is a good choice? I use N900 daily like computer and
> phone.

I've been using CSSU since the first public testing release, so far I
don't have any major problems. The improved hildon-desktop and fixed
enter-key in Xterm make me happy. :) I've been using experimental
packages already for a long time before that to fix some of those
problems, so having it fed from CSSU makes it a lot easier.

It depends on your comfort level in dealing with that kind of thing.
If you don't want to possibly re-flash and restore from backup then
you should not install it. You probably won't need to, but the risk
exists.
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


marius.vollmer at nokia

Aug 14, 2011, 11:03 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1010 views)
Permalink
Re: Removing mp-fremantle-generic-pr [In reply to]

ext Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo [at] gmail> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Leandro sullo spippolino
> <lnoferin [at] cybervalley> wrote:
>> Ciao a tutti,
>>
>> now my apt seems to work fine but doing a
>>
>> aptitude dist-upgrade
>>
>> it want's to remove the package in subject
>> mp-fremantle-generic-pr
>>
>> as I can understand it is to get updates from Nokia
>> so it is possible/preferable to remove it?
>
> There won't be any more new updates from Nokia, so I don't think it
> really matters.

The mp-fremantle-generic-pr is also meant to keep your OS configuration
together: As long as it is installed, you have all the packages that are
supposed to be installed. If you remove it, you might more easily turn
your device into mush by accidentally removing some really important
packages by later on.
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.