Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Users

Pulseausio allocating +40Mo of RAM ?

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rixed at happyleptic

Jul 16, 2010, 10:03 PM

Pulseausio allocating +40Mo of RAM ?

Hello !

I periodically run memstat on the N900 to check for apps that
could leak memory (in order to find a culprit for some
unresponsiveness issue), and I'm surprised to discover that
every time pulse audio is the process that uses the most memory.
See for instance here :

memstat -w | grep pulseaudio

75848k: PID 768 (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
72k( 68k): /usr/bin/pulseaudio 768

So the text of the binary itself is rather small (libs are counted separately),
but the heap is 75M while the device is idle and not outputing anything.

Is it normal ?
Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of all this ram when idle ?
does pulseaudio keep some huge precalc datas of some sort ?
If not, wouldn't be better to just discard this RAM when its no more needed,
in order to prevent swapping, which is quite slow ?

What do you think ?

eero.tamminen at nokia

Feb 28, 2011, 3:27 AM

Re: Pulseausio allocating +40Mo of RAM ? [In reply to]

Hi,

On 07/17/2010 08:03 AM, ext rixed [at] happyleptic wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I periodically run memstat on the N900 to check for apps that
> could leak memory (in order to find a culprit for some
> unresponsiveness issue), and I'm surprised to discover that
> every time pulse audio is the process that uses the most memory.
> See for instance here :
>
> memstat -w | grep pulseaudio
>
> 75848k: PID 768 (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
> 72k( 68k): /usr/bin/pulseaudio 768
>
> So the text of the binary itself is rather small (libs are counted separately),
> but the heap is 75M while the device is idle and not outputing anything.

Are you sure it's heap and not e.g. (almost completely unused)
thread stacks?

- Eero