Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Users

Printing (N800)

 

 

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


peter.flynn at mars

Nov 22, 2009, 6:49 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2519 views)
Permalink
Printing (N800)

I've been using CUPS to print from my N800, and it seems to work now (an
earlier version was shipped with a fatally-broken pstotext utility),
even finding locally-published printers.

But it's restricted to printing from the command line (eg lpr foo.pdf),
and then only sometimes -- at other times it claims the "scheduler is
not responding", and you have to restart cupsd.

The major applications (browser, email, AbiWord, etc) don't have a
File|Print menu item. While this is understandable in the design
(perhaps printing was not thought of as an option), does anyone know if
it will be enabled in N900/Maemo5?

///Peter
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


michele at amdplanet

Nov 22, 2009, 7:15 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2441 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Peter Flynn <peter.flynn [at] mars> wrote:
> The major applications (browser, email, AbiWord, etc) don't have a
> File|Print menu item. While this is understandable in the design
> (perhaps printing was not thought of as an option), does anyone know if
> it will be enabled in N900/Maemo5?

Hi Peter,
Even in maemo5/n900 no print option is avaiable in major apps as i can see.
And i can't find cups stuff in repository ATM.
Michele




--
michele tameni
http://www.amdplanet.it
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


aklapper at openismus

Nov 22, 2009, 2:46 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2422 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 22.11.2009, 16:15 +0100 schrieb Michele Tameni:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Peter Flynn <peter.flynn [at] mars> wrote:
> > The major applications (browser, email, AbiWord, etc) don't have a
> > File|Print menu item. While this is understandable in the design
> > (perhaps printing was not thought of as an option), does anyone know if
> > it will be enabled in N900/Maemo5?
>
> Hi Peter,
> Even in maemo5/n900 no print option is avaiable in major apps as i can see.

Yes, it's currently not planned by Nokia to support printing. Also see
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3099 .

andre

--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org Bugmaster)

_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


anidel at gmail

Nov 22, 2009, 4:13 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2425 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

2009/11/22 Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] openismus>:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 22.11.2009, 16:15 +0100 schrieb Michele Tameni:
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Peter Flynn <peter.flynn [at] mars> wrote:
>> > The major applications (browser, email, AbiWord, etc) don't have a
>> > File|Print menu item. While this is understandable in the design
>> > (perhaps printing was not thought of as an option), does anyone know if
>> > it will be enabled in N900/Maemo5?
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>> Even in maemo5/n900 no print option is avaiable in major apps as i can see.
>
> Yes, it's currently not planned by Nokia to support printing. Also see
> https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3099 .
>
> andre
>

I think we can do it in the community.
Prepare needed packages to install on the device (cups) and even port
some nice Setup UI to Maemo.
I can easily re-add printing support to Xournal, not a problem at all.

--
anidel
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


maemo at csipa

Nov 22, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2425 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

On Monday 23 November 2009 01:13:02 Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
> I think we can do it in the community.
> Prepare needed packages to install on the device (cups) and even port
> some nice Setup UI to Maemo.
> I can easily re-add printing support to Xournal, not a problem at all.

Just to warn people to prevent potential oopses - some of the libraries were
compiled without any printing support (for example Qt). That might make things
a tad more difficult depending on how printing is implemented in a given app.


_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


peter.flynn at mars

Nov 23, 2009, 1:31 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2408 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Monday 23 November 2009 01:13:02 Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
>> I think we can do it in the community.
>> Prepare needed packages to install on the device (cups) and even port
>> some nice Setup UI to Maemo.
>> I can easily re-add printing support to Xournal, not a problem at all.
>
> Just to warn people to prevent potential oopses - some of the libraries were
> compiled without any printing support (for example Qt). That might make things
> a tad more difficult depending on how printing is implemented in a given app.

As handhelds get faster and bigger (virtually) this should become less
of a problem, although there is the conceptual difficulty of persuading
the designers to consider printing.

I did some more tests, both with plaintext files and PDFs, and all of
them print in microscopically small type (they print normally when done
to the same printer from a regular desktop machine). I'm not clear why
this should be. Something in CUPS, as that is the only thing in use for
this...

Printing direct from the apps would be nice, but as there is often a way
to generate PDF, just having a print-from-PDF would do.

///Peter
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users


peter.flynn at mars

Nov 24, 2009, 11:51 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2377 views)
Permalink
Re: Printing (N800) [In reply to]

Peter Flynn wrote:
> I did some more tests, both with plaintext files and PDFs, and all of
> them print in microscopically small type

Duh. For some unfathomable reason, the config on the desktop (the print
host) was set to "Print 9 pages per sheet".

I've never in my life used that configuration. I can only imagine my
mouse brushed over some control at some stage. Grrr.

OK, printing from the N800 is fine, but it's commandline only. PDFs
print perfectly, so I can live with that, unless some kind soul writes a
little plugin for the File Manager to add "Print" to the menu.

///Peter
_______________________________________________
maemo-users mailing list
maemo-users [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users

Maemo users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.