Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Developers

Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3

Maemo developers RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

talmage at acm

Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3

I'm sure some of you develop for both Maemo and Symbian^3. I need some advice
about deployment on those platforms. I'm looking for a place to put support
files, such as help files, that can't be made into resource files. In Maemo, I'm
putting them in /opt/usr/share/doc/myapp/. Where does Symbian^3 keep such
files?

In my perfect world, each platform has a standard place for support files. My
application would learn the platform's name for a support file using a library
call like

QString aSupportFile =
QSupportSystem.openSupportFile("relative/path/to/the/file.html");

Thus far, I can't find what I'm looking for. I expect to resort to using cpp:

#if defined(SYMBIAN)
QString aSupportFile = "/special/symbian/place/for/file.html";
#elseif defined(MAEMO)
QString aSupportFile = "/opt/usr/share/doc/myapp/file.html";
#else
SYNTAX ERROR: FIND A PLACE FOR file.html ON THIS PLATFORM
#endif

As always, I will receive with gratitude any clues you care to share with me.

Dave

timur at sch

Re: Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3 [In reply to]

Hello David,

I am not aware whether such a path exists on Symbian. Probably it doesn't.
I'd recommend you to put those files into your app's resources, then Qt
will embed them into your app's executable.

Then you can do this:

QString aSupportFile =
QSupportSystem.openSupportFile(":/help/file.html");

(The : at the beginning of the path means that it is located in your
resources.)
Read more about this at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/resources.html

This will spare you the need to install additional files alongside your
app, and will also spare you the need of that ugly #ifdef.

Cheers,
Timur

On 05/16/2011 04:56 AM, David Talmage wrote:
> I'm sure some of you develop for both Maemo and Symbian^3. I need some advice
> about deployment on those platforms. I'm looking for a place to put support
> files, such as help files, that can't be made into resource files. In Maemo, I'm
> putting them in /opt/usr/share/doc/myapp/. Where does Symbian^3 keep such
> files?
>
> In my perfect world, each platform has a standard place for support files. My
> application would learn the platform's name for a support file using a library
> call like
>
> QString aSupportFile =
> QSupportSystem.openSupportFile("relative/path/to/the/file.html");
>
> Thus far, I can't find what I'm looking for. I expect to resort to using cpp:
>
> #if defined(SYMBIAN)
> QString aSupportFile = "/special/symbian/place/for/file.html";
> #elseif defined(MAEMO)
> QString aSupportFile = "/opt/usr/share/doc/myapp/file.html";
> #else
> SYNTAX ERROR: FIND A PLACE FOR file.html ON THIS PLATFORM
> #endif
>
> As always, I will receive with gratitude any clues you care to share with me.
>
> Dave

talmage at acm

Re: Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3 [In reply to]

Thanks, Timur.

On Monday, May 16, 2011 03:33:07 AM Timur Kristóf wrote:
> I'd recommend you to put those files into your app's resources, then Qt
> will embed them into your app's executable.
> Read more about this at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/resources.html

I considered that. I don't think that's the right solution. It's my
intention to translate the help files into a number of languages. Embedding
each one in my application will make my application much bigger. There has to
be another way. When I find it, I will share it here.

Re: Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3 [In reply to]

Hello David,
> I considered that. I don't think that's the right solution. It's my
> intention to translate the help files into a number of languages.

That's easy. Then you can do:
QString aSupportFile =
QSupportSystem.openSupportFile(":/help/file_" + QLocale::system().name()
+ ".html");
> Embedding each one in my application will make my application much bigger.
Not that much bigger. A html is not that big.
And why is it worse than having to copy all the files to a different
directory?
> There has to be another way. When I find it, I will share it here.
Okay, thanks.

Cheers,
Timur

daniil.ivanov at gmail

Re: Installing HTML help files in Maemo and Symbian^3 [In reply to]

Maemo 5 has no system wide help engine.
And Symbian has help engine, but you will need native Symbian API to use it.
On the other hand, Qt has it's own help engine
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qthelp-framework.html
and probably you want to use as it will solve all cross-platform issues.

--Daniil