Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Developers

Frets on Fire on Fremantle

Maemo developers RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jayeshsalvi at gmail

Mar 4, 2009, 7:14 AM

Frets on Fire on Fremantle

Hi all,

I have ported the popular desktop game "Frets on Fire" (Guitar Hero clone)
to Fremantle. It leverages the OpenGL support in the new platform. Here is
the video (http://blip.tv/file/1839929)

You can find the details of the port on my blog post (
http://jyro.blogspot.com/2009/03/frets-on-fire-on-maemo-5-fremantle.html).
Some tweaks in the GUI and we might convert the next Nokia tablet into an
electric guitar.

Feedback is welcome!
--
Jayesh
code <http://code.google.com/p/altcanvas/> | twit<http://www.twitter.com/jyro>|

quim.gil at nokia

Mar 4, 2009, 10:57 PM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

Hi Jayesh,

ext Jayesh Salvi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have ported the popular desktop game "Frets on Fire" (Guitar Hero
> clone) to Fremantle. It leverages the OpenGL support in the new
> platform. Here is the video (http://blip.tv/file/1839929)
>
> You can find the details of the port on my blog post
> (http://jyro.blogspot.com/2009/03/frets-on-fire-on-maemo-5-fremantle.html).
> Some tweaks in the GUI and we might convert the next Nokia tablet into
> an electric guitar.

Cool, thanks for the fast porting and the details in your blog post
(including the bugs found through the exercise).

You got a nice proof point for software relying directly on OpenGL ES
and we hope to see more ports.

Playing the game itself on the touchscreen might be problematic when
having to register more than one press at the same time, though.

By the way, do you mind uploading your packages to
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/ ? This way you
don't need to mix the Diablo repositories and we start building a
Fremantle extras common library. Same for the rest of developers
starting to develop with Fremantle.

--
Quim Gil
open source advocate

quim.gil at nokia

Mar 4, 2009, 11:16 PM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

Gil Quim (Nokia-D/Helsinki) wrote:
> By the way, do you mind uploading your packages to
> http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/ ? This way you
> don't need to mix the Diablo repositories and we start building a
> Fremantle extras common library. Same for the rest of developers
> starting to develop with Fremantle.

Sorry for the noise: I thought the repo was accessible with direct
uploads but now I have been told that it's not, and the autobuilder is
not yet in place. The guys in the know are working on this.

--
Quim Gil
open source advocate

jsmanrique at gmail

Mar 5, 2009, 1:16 AM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

[...]"Playing the game itself on the touchscreen might be problematic when
having to register more than one press at the same time, though"[...]

So, no multitouch screen.. right? ;-)

Anyway, cool port!

2009/3/5 Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia>:

> Gil Quim (Nokia-D/Helsinki) wrote:
>> By the way, do you mind uploading your packages to
>> http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/ ? This way you
>> don't need to mix the Diablo repositories and we start building a
>> Fremantle extras common library. Same for the rest of developers
>> starting to develop with Fremantle.
>
> Sorry for the noise: I thought the repo was accessible with direct
> uploads but now I have been told that it's not, and the autobuilder is
> not yet in place. The guys in the know are working on this.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> open source advocate
> Maemo Software @ Nokia

J. Manrique López de la Fuente
http://www.jsmanrique.es

rabelg5 at gmail

Mar 5, 2009, 1:39 AM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:16 AM, Jose Manrique Lopez de la Fuente wrote:

> So, no multitouch screen.. right? ;-)

No. (Something we've know for a while, actually. ;))

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council chair

Sami.Kyostila at nokia

Mar 5, 2009, 2:30 AM

RE: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

Hi,

> I have ported the popular desktop game "Frets on Fire" (Guitar Hero clone) to Fremantle. It leverages the OpenGL support in the new platform. Here is the video (http://blip.tv/file/1839929)
>
> You can find the details of the port on my blog post (http://jyro.blogspot.com/2009/03/frets-on-fire-on-maemo-5-fremantle.html). Some tweaks in
>the GUI and we might convert the next Nokia tablet into an electric guitar.

Great work! I was thinking of doing the port myself, but you seem to have beaten me to it :)

I'm afraid there's still some work to be done, however. Frets on Fire uses OpenGL graphics, while in Maemo 5 we only have OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0. The graphics code in the game will therefore have to be mostly rewritten to use the more limited set of features available in OpenGL ES. The graphics complexity will probably also need to be tuned down to get decent performance.

I'm not sure why the Fremantle SDK ships with the desktop OpenGL libraries in the first place, though.

- Sami

jayeshsalvi at gmail

Mar 5, 2009, 6:18 AM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM, <Sami.Kyostila [at] nokia> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I have ported the popular desktop game "Frets on Fire" (Guitar Hero
> clone) to Fremantle. It leverages the OpenGL support in the new platform.
> Here is the video (http://blip.tv/file/1839929)
> >
> > You can find the details of the port on my blog post (
> http://jyro.blogspot.com/2009/03/frets-on-fire-on-maemo-5-fremantle.html).
> Some tweaks in
> >the GUI and we might convert the next Nokia tablet into an electric
> guitar.
>
> Great work! I was thinking of doing the port myself, but you seem to have
> beaten me to it :)
>
> I'm afraid there's still some work to be done, however. Frets on Fire uses
> OpenGL graphics, while in Maemo 5 we only have OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0. The
> graphics code in the game will therefore have to be mostly rewritten to use
> the more limited set of features available in OpenGL ES. The graphics
> complexity will probably also need to be tuned down to get decent
> performance.
>
> I'm not sure why the Fremantle SDK ships with the desktop OpenGL libraries
> in the first place, though.

Oh. That's confusing.

So Maemo SDK ships with OpenGL and not OpenGL ES? I had my doubts when I
compiled PyOpenGL. It compiled without any problems. I didn't find anywhere
if PyOpenGL works with OpenGL ES or not. (probably not). So I was little
surprised that it compiled.

If that's the case, then the assumption that anything that works in SDK will
work on final device as well, is not true. Is that so?

--
Jayesh

> - Sami

eero.tamminen at nokia

Mar 5, 2009, 7:14 AM

Re: Frets on Fire on Fremantle [In reply to]

Hi,

ext Jayesh Salvi wrote:
> I'm not sure why the Fremantle SDK ships with the desktop OpenGL
> libraries in the first place, though.

To be able to run and debug stuff using Clutter (which can use OpenGL
or GLES as backend) on x86. The proprietary SGX drivers work only on
the device (SGX HW / ARM).

- Eero