Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Developers

OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition

Maemo developers RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

carlos.guerreiro at nokia

Jan 24, 2007, 1:23 PM

OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition

Hi,

Some news on OS 2007 for the 770 :-).

We have commissioned Markku Vire (https://garage.maemo.org/users/mavire)
to have a go at making OS 2007 run on the Nokia 770.
This is the engineering release Ari talked out in this blog:
http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2007/01/were-getting-some-feedback-and-weve-got.html

Itís by necessity a hybrid of OS 2007 and OS 2006. Device drivers,
firmware and some userland packages (notably the Opera browser engine)
are those in OS 2006. However, most components - including the kernel -
are the ones in OS 2007 where necessary rebuilt and/or configured
differently.

As far as the software platform is concerned, this makes this OS 2007 /
770 hacker edition pretty close to the real thing. We expect most
applications built with Maemo Bora for the N800 to install and work,
within the limitations of the hardware and subject to some software gaps
- more on that below. We also expect applications that do not work on
the N800 - due to changed APIs - not to work here as well.

Thatís great since it should make this release a viable tool for
checking if your app will work on the N800 - before you have one.

But itís not the real thing. Itís not a end-user ready release. Itís a
tool to allow developers to continue working on the 770, moving on to
the OS 2007 / Bora software platform, bridging the gap between 770 and
N800. Itís less than alpha. No Q.A. was done on it and who knows what it
might do. It should not brick your device but then again, we canít be
totally sure of that either. Iím running it on my 770 and so far itís
doing fine.

TigerT took the nice photo you can see here:
http://os2007on770.garage.maemo.org/OS2007-770-2.jpg

Markku made a lot of progress. Hereís what weíve got so far:

- The device boots up, starting X and the Hildon Desktop.
- You can run most applications, including the Browser. You get the OS
2007 Browser UI but the version of the Opera engine from OS 2006. There
are two reasons for this. One reason is that the OS 2007 engine will
simply not run. We suspect it is the way it was compiled specifically
for the N800 but we donít have the source code so thatís a guess. The
other reason is that the license of Opera that goes with the 770 does
not cover the update. Somebody would have to pay more to ship the
updated version.
- Connectivity seems to work. Both WLAN and Bluetooth. We havenít tested
much though.
- The DSP works at a very minimal level. Some audio media does play but
there are no touchscreen sounds and no video at all :-(. We are still
trying to do something about that, Markku is getting help from our
Multimedia guys. In any case, some of the codecs from OS 2007 are not
shipped - again due to licensing restrictions.
- Instant messaging works. VOIP didnít last time I tried, which is
hardly surprising given the DSP doesnít work that much ;-).
- The very same OS 2007 theme and graphics are provided.

Have a look at Markkuís notes (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Os2007On770)
if you are interested in the gory details. Heíll be updating these notes
as he continues to work on this.

An image will be available soon for download and flashing, to 770 users
only.

After that, Maemo developers with a 770 and a bit of time on their hands
are encouraged to check it out. Problem reports specific to this release
should go to the Garage project
(https://garage.maemo.org/projects/os2007on770/). Not to the Maemo
bugzilla and definitely not to any Nokia support. There is no official
support for this.

We will work on this still for some time though it is hard to say how
long. It will also depend on how this is received. It might be that we
can get more of the DSP and Multimedia to work, or maybe not.

We canít justify doing much work on this hybrid, our development focus
is really on the N800. However, if we manage to make further progress we
will release updated images. Weíll look at any patches that people in
the Maemo community might turn up and consider applying them and
releasing new images. We canít promise we will do a good job there but
letís see what we can manage.

This is again, something new for us, and we hope to learn something in
the process.

Best regards,
Carlos

dufkaf at seznam

Jan 25, 2007, 12:42 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Hello Carlos and Markku

this is pretty cool :-)

> Have a look at Markkuís notes (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Os2007On770)
> if you are interested in the gory details. Heíll be updating these notes
> as he continues to work on this.

Quite interesting reading. Found some of those bits about initfs and
kernel too.

> An image will be available soon for download and flashing, to 770 users
> only.

I guess including some sources - kernel at least (I am interested and
maybe could even help) or all modified packages.

> After that, Maemo developers with a 770 and a bit of time on their hands
> are encouraged to check it out.

I will and definitely try to help if possible. Few questions/ideas:

Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes needed
(if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34 kernel
directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives us?

Same for initfs, what does break, dsme,bme? Thanks for the toolchain
name, I had to build static version of evkey for bootmenu since I
couldn't find correct uclibc toolchain. there is 'We used rx-34-initfs
from apt-repository as a base' where is this, something internal?

> We will work on this still for some time though it is hard to say how
> long. It will also depend on how this is received. It might be that we
> can get more of the DSP and Multimedia to work, or maybe not.

Could leaving old kernel, dspgateway, dsp_dld and all n770 codecs help
with this? Updated gstreamer could be nice, though. Maybe some fixes in
newer gst dsp plugins to make it work with older DSP stuff can make this
possible?

> We canít justify doing much work on this hybrid, our development focus
> is really on the N800. However, if we manage to make further progress we
> will release updated images. Weíll look at any patches that people in
> the Maemo community might turn up and consider applying them and
> releasing new images. We canít promise we will do a good job there but
> letís see what we can manage.

Well I think community can (in theory) keep working on this and continue
as long as is needed. What is not clear is how far we can go without
those few but important closed bits (initfs - dsme/bme, config partition
format, cal-tool etc., dsp stuff) and implications they have on the rest.

> This is again, something new for us, and we hope to learn something in
> the process.

Yes, at least it can be another push to opensource something needed for
this or reveal how far we can go without it. I am pleasantly surprised
by the progress so far.

Best regards,
Frantisek

wahlau at gmail

Jan 25, 2007, 1:43 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

hi,

first of all thanks for the engineering version - at least some of us
here will not find ourselves abandoned. :)

my first concern is - performance... would the OS2007 for 770 work
sacrificing speed and stability? or it can work with OS2007 software
at the OS2006 speed? Since N800 has better hardware spec, it might be
possible that OS2007 will work on 770 ultimately, but not as smooth as
how OS2006 does on 770.

thanks.

regards,
wahlau

Karoliina.T.Salminen at nokia

Jan 25, 2007, 3:02 AM

RE: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Hi,

Not exactly sure yet, but at least in maemo-af-desktop (aka Hildon
Desktop) the changes aren't
towards more demanding for the HW, in fact, there have been lots of
optimization
work.

> or it can work with
>OS2007 software at the OS2006 speed? Since N800 has better
>hardware spec, it might be possible that OS2007 will work on
>770 ultimately, but not as smooth as how OS2006 does on 770.

I could suspect that the most demanding softwares are those which
are closed and not part of the hacker edition anyhow.
Quite a bit of our development work was done
with the old HW and Sardine anyway (e.g. jobi has used Sardine).
Of course things will run a bit faster
on the N800 HW because it is simply faster and there is more RAM
available,
but at least Hildon Desktop changes aren't the nature that it would make
the OS2006 faster than the new "hacker edition". I can tell more about
it later (maybe on my blog) once I upgrade my 770 with the
"hacker-edition". I am currently
runing the plain OS2006 on my 770 since I use most of the time the
new N800 since it just looks & feels so much cooler than the 770 (IMHO)
- (combination
of the new industrial design and new theme and such little neat
details)).

Best Regards,
Karoliina
http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog

> [...]
>> > that people in the Maemo community might turn up and consider
>> > applying them and releasing new images. We can't promise
>we will do
>> > a good job there but let's see what we can manage.
>>
>> Well I think community can (in theory) keep working on this
>and continue
>> as long as is needed. What is not clear is how far we can
>go without
>> those few but important closed bits (initfs - dsme/bme, config
>> partition format, cal-tool etc., dsp stuff) and implications
>they have on the rest.
>>

>> > This is again, something new for us, and we hope to learn
>something
>> > in the process.
>>
>> Yes, at least it can be another push to opensource something needed
>> for this or reveal how far we can go without it. I am pleasantly

carlos.guerreiro at nokia

Jan 25, 2007, 7:59 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

>> An image will be available soon for download and flashing, to 770
>> users only.
>
> I guess including some sources - kernel at least (I am interested and
> maybe could even help) or all modified packages.
Yes, we'll include the sources / patches to all open source packages
that need to be modified, including the kernel.

>> After that, Maemo developers with a 770 and a bit of time on their
>> hands are encouraged to check it out.
>
> I will and definitely try to help if possible. Few questions/ideas:
>
> Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes
> needed (if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34
> kernel directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives
> us?
If I remember correctly Markku considered this at some point. Markku?

> Same for initfs, what does break, dsme,bme? Thanks for the toolchain
> name, I had to build static version of evkey for bootmenu since I
> couldn't find correct uclibc toolchain. there is 'We used rx-34-initfs
> from apt-repository as a base' where is this, something internal?
>

>> We will work on this still for some time though it is hard to say how
>> long. It will also depend on how this is received. It might be that
>> we can get more of the DSP and Multimedia to work, or maybe not.
>
> Could leaving old kernel, dspgateway, dsp_dld and all n770 codecs help
> with this? Updated gstreamer could be nice, though. Maybe some fixes
> in newer gst dsp plugins to make it work with older DSP stuff can make
> this possible?
Probably. I had a chat a couple of days with Makoto and Andrea and they
proposed keeping the OS 2006 DSP subsystem.
Not sure about the kernel though, it might cause help work elsewhere.

>> We canít justify doing much work on this hybrid, our development
>> focus is really on the N800. However, if we manage to make further
>> progress we will release updated images. Weíll look at any patches
>> that people in the Maemo community might turn up and consider
>> applying them and releasing new images. We canít promise we will do a
>> good job there but letís see what we can manage.
>
> Well I think community can (in theory) keep working on this and
> continue as long as is needed. What is not clear is how far we can go
> without those few but important closed bits (initfs - dsme/bme, config
> partition format, cal-tool etc., dsp stuff) and implications they have
> on the rest.

Yeah. This will be interesting to see.

>> This is again, something new for us, and we hope to learn something
>> in the process.
>
> Yes, at least it can be another push to opensource something needed
> for this or reveal how far we can go without it. I am pleasantly
> surprised by the progress so far.

It should help us refine our understanding of the trade-offs we are
making when deciding to open/closed something

Br,
Carlos

carlos.guerreiro at nokia

Jan 25, 2007, 8:01 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

> hi,
>
> first of all thanks for the engineering version - at least some of us
> here will not find ourselves abandoned. :)
>
> my first concern is - performance... would the OS2007 for 770 work
> sacrificing speed and stability? or it can work with OS2007 software
> at the OS2006 speed? Since N800 has better hardware spec, it might be
> possible that OS2007 will work on 770 ultimately, but not as smooth as
> how OS2006 does on 770.

It's hard to say right now, since we haven't tested this much.
It should only be a matter of days for the image to be released so you
will be
able to see for yourself.

dufkaf at seznam

Jan 26, 2007, 1:12 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Carlos Guerreiro wrote:

>> Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes
>> needed (if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34
>> kernel directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives
>> us?
> If I remember correctly Markku considered this at some point. Markku?

Also when thinking about it, it would be nice to be able to use IT2006
compatible kernel and initfs. As this is hacker edition, dual booting
between IT2006 and this one may be worthwile and can be hard with newer
kernel. If there is no real reason to go for newer kernel I'd stay with
the old one. Old DSP stuff probably depends on DSPGateway version in
kernel anyway.

However I am not sure about dsme in initfs and how it interacts with
system in rootfs over /tmp/dsmesock. If there is some binary protocol
that changed in IT2007 we are out of luck with keeping old initfs and
IT2006 compatibility. Although there is this idea I'm playing with for
some time - to copy initfs to rootfs (it is small) and let it run
chrooted in rootfs (/boot dir seems ideal for this) instead of running
from initfs partition and keeping /dev/mtdblock3 open (can even save
some RAM in kernel). That way we can have two initfs systems in place
and the only thing wee need to share is kernel. Even this could be
solved by something like kexec or LAB [1] but this may be complex issue
with watchdogs in kernel etc and may make booting longer.

But even with this we may still have dependecies on config partition
format and specific version of bootloader.

Frantisek

1. http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HpIpaqH2200LAB

Markku.Vire at movial

Jan 26, 2007, 1:21 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Hi,

I have not measured, but currently OS2007 feels somewhat slower than 2006.
But this can simply be because currently most binaries are the same that
are used for N800. So, recompiling the whole stack with different
optimizations is likely to give us some speed bonus... But that may wait
until we know what we can get to work. Currently packages that have not
worked out-of-the-box are recompiled/reconfigured when encountered. This
work is still going on.

-Markku-

> first of all thanks for the engineering version - at least some of us
> here will not find ourselves abandoned. :)
>
> my first concern is - performance... would the OS2007 for 770 work
> sacrificing speed and stability? or it can work with OS2007 software
> at the OS2006 speed? Since N800 has better hardware spec, it might be
> possible that OS2007 will work on 770 ultimately, but not as smooth as
> how OS2006 does on 770.
>
> thanks.
>
> regards,
> wahlau

Markku.Vire at movial

Jan 26, 2007, 1:40 AM

Re: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Hi,

>>> After that, Maemo developers with a 770 and a bit of time on their
>>> hands are encouraged to check it out.
>>
>> I will and definitely try to help if possible. Few questions/ideas:
>>
>> Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes
>> needed (if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34
>> kernel directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives
>> us?
> If I remember correctly Markku considered this at some point. Markku?

I first tried to keep the old kernel and initfs and just hack the rootfs.
I cannot say if this way would have been better (and what kind of problems
we would have encountered), but anyway we decided to move to the same
kernel than used in N800.

Yeah, omap1 sections from rx-34 kernel seem to be something pretty weird
(old?). The current kernel that I use is a strange combination of rx-34
kernel, "official" omap-patched 2.6.18 kernel (from muru.com) and old
2.6.16 kernel from the latest 770 release.

>> Same for initfs, what does break, dsme,bme? Thanks for the toolchain
>> name, I had to build static version of evkey for bootmenu since I
>> couldn't find correct uclibc toolchain. there is 'We used rx-34-initfs
>> from apt-repository as a base' where is this, something internal?

At least I didn't detect any (too bad) problems with either dsme or bme.
The things that needed to be replaced, were:

* uclibc needed to be recompiled, since it used VFP.
* Kernel modules needed to be replaced. Proprietary ones (WLAN),
needed linking against different binary blob.
* firmware files needed to be copied from old 770.

>>> We will work on this still for some time though it is hard to say how
>>> long. It will also depend on how this is received. It might be that
>>> we can get more of the DSP and Multimedia to work, or maybe not.
>>
>> Could leaving old kernel, dspgateway, dsp_dld and all n770 codecs help
>> with this? Updated gstreamer could be nice, though. Maybe some fixes
>> in newer gst dsp plugins to make it work with older DSP stuff can make
>> this possible?
> Probably. I had a chat a couple of days with Makoto and Andrea and they
> proposed keeping the OS 2006 DSP subsystem.
> Not sure about the kernel though, it might cause help work elsewhere.

dspctl and dsp_dld itself seem to work nicely. And all DSP side modules
that I have used (avs_kernel* and the modules/ directory contents) are
directly from 770. The problems with DSP that I have encountered have been
kernel-related (or actually rx-34 kernel related). Public omap-sources
work much better (as I learned the hard way...)

-Markku-

S.G.Pickering at bath

Jan 26, 2007, 2:03 AM

RE: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

> I have not measured, but currently OS2007 feels somewhat
> slower than 2006.
> But this can simply be because currently most binaries are
> the same that are used for N800. So, recompiling the whole
> stack with different optimizations is likely to give us some
> speed bonus... But that may wait until we know what we can
> get to work. Currently packages that have not worked
> out-of-the-box are recompiled/reconfigured when encountered.
> This work is still going on.

So some of the stuff running on the 770 using os2007on770 has been compiled
for the N800 (i.e. using ARMv6)?

This would be interesting to know, as it would indicate that it may be
possible, admittedly with effort, to get other (N800) apps to run by
implementing vfp illegal instruction exception handling in the kernel (in
much the same way as fpa works). I had expected there to be more instruction
differences considering the number of binaries and my assumption of their
complexity (and therefore chance of inclusion of the new armv6
instructions).

Cheers,

Simon

Markku.Vire at movial

Jan 26, 2007, 4:57 AM

RE: OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition [In reply to]

Hi,

>> I have not measured, but currently OS2007 feels somewhat
>> slower than 2006.
>> But this can simply be because currently most binaries are
>> the same that are used for N800. So, recompiling the whole
>> stack with different optimizations is likely to give us some
>> speed bonus... But that may wait until we know what we can
>> get to work. Currently packages that have not worked
>> out-of-the-box are recompiled/reconfigured when encountered.
>> This work is still going on.
>
> So some of the stuff running on the 770 using os2007on770 has been
> compiled
> for the N800 (i.e. using ARMv6)?

Large part of the binaries are directly from the N800 image (I do not know
the exact compilation options used for those). Only those that I have
needed
to modify somehow have been recompiled at this stage. So, the binary
compatibility between the platforms in surprisingly good (at least what
comes to those compilation options used for N800 binaries).

-Markku-