Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation!

 

 

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


pali.rohar at gmail

Jul 19, 2012, 12:30 AM

Post #1 of 8 (513 views)
Permalink
Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation!

Hello Maemo Community!

Now after long time I found a very very *big* problem in Nokia
Maemo SDK virtual image which can be downloaded from location:
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php
file Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Final.7z

Problem is in scratchbox and may be in regular scratchbox
installation on desktop too (not only in virtual image)!

That Virtual image contains *thumb* string in scratchbox shell
variable DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS which cause that some applications
will be compiled with thumb instructions.

Thumb is unstable on default Maemo 5 for Nokia N900 and
applications which are compiled with thumb-2 will crash without
any reason.

Check if you have problematic scratchbox:

1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
2. print DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS in scratchbox: echo $DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

If it does *not* show "thumb" your scratchbox is already fixed
and thumb is disabled. If it *show* thumb, disable it.

Instructions how to disable *thumb* string in scratchbox:

1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
2. Edit file /targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment
3. Remove "thumb" from that file
4. Save file and *logout* from scratchbox

Note that scratchbox is loading DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS variable at
startup, so you need to restart scratchbox to take effect. After
restarting please check again if thumb is really disabled.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar [at] gmail
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


marmistrz at linux

Jul 19, 2012, 12:35 AM

Post #2 of 8 (502 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

I'm using scratchbox on Linux, and have thumb too. So it's a bug not only
in the virtual image. Or maybe it's "thumb-1".
But autobuilder is using scratchbox too, doesn't it? Are there problems
with some autobuilder built packages?
--
Marcin



2012/7/19 Pali Rohár <pali.rohar [at] gmail>

> Hello Maemo Community!
>
> Now after long time I found a very very *big* problem in Nokia
> Maemo SDK virtual image which can be downloaded from location:
> http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php
> file Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Final.7z
>
> Problem is in scratchbox and may be in regular scratchbox
> installation on desktop too (not only in virtual image)!
>
> That Virtual image contains *thumb* string in scratchbox shell
> variable DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS which cause that some applications
> will be compiled with thumb instructions.
>
> Thumb is unstable on default Maemo 5 for Nokia N900 and
> applications which are compiled with thumb-2 will crash without
> any reason.
>
> Check if you have problematic scratchbox:
>
> 1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
> 2. print DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS in scratchbox: echo $DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS
>
> If it does *not* show "thumb" your scratchbox is already fixed
> and thumb is disabled. If it *show* thumb, disable it.
>
> Instructions how to disable *thumb* string in scratchbox:
>
> 1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
> 2. Edit file /targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment
> 3. Remove "thumb" from that file
> 4. Save file and *logout* from scratchbox
>
> Note that scratchbox is loading DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS variable at
> startup, so you need to restart scratchbox to take effect. After
> restarting please check again if thumb is really disabled.
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar [at] gmail
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
>


pali.rohar at gmail

Jul 19, 2012, 12:43 AM

Post #3 of 8 (505 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

On Thursday 19 July 2012 09:35:33 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> I'm using scratchbox on Linux, and have thumb too. So it's a
> bug not only in the virtual image. Or maybe it's "thumb-1".
> But autobuilder is using scratchbox too, doesn't it? Are there
> problems with some autobuilder built packages?
> --
> Marcin

If you have thumb in your scratchbox FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment
then bug is not only in virtual image...

Autobuilder using scratchbox too, but it set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS
variable before bulding package. So deb packages builded by
autobuilder are not affected by this problem.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar [at] gmail
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


marmistrz at linux

Jul 19, 2012, 1:18 AM

Post #4 of 8 (499 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

Yes, it's in FREMANTLE_ARMEL. In FREMANTLE_X86, $DEB_BUILD_FLAGS is blank.
It may be why there's a problem with libmeegotouch (segfaults and etc.), as
libmeegotouch is in non-free
--
Marcin



2012/7/19 Pali Rohár <pali.rohar [at] gmail>

> On Thursday 19 July 2012 09:35:33 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> > I'm using scratchbox on Linux, and have thumb too. So it's a
> > bug not only in the virtual image. Or maybe it's "thumb-1".
> > But autobuilder is using scratchbox too, doesn't it? Are there
> > problems with some autobuilder built packages?
> > --
> > Marcin
>
> If you have thumb in your scratchbox FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment
> then bug is not only in virtual image...
>
> Autobuilder using scratchbox too, but it set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS
> variable before bulding package. So deb packages builded by
> autobuilder are not affected by this problem.
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar [at] gmail
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
>


pali.rohar at gmail

Jul 19, 2012, 1:24 AM

Post #5 of 8 (495 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

On Thursday 19 July 2012 10:18:49 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> Yes, it's in FREMANTLE_ARMEL. In FREMANTLE_X86,
> $DEB_BUILD_FLAGS is blank. It may be why there's a problem
> with libmeegotouch (segfaults and etc.), as libmeegotouch is
> in non-free
> --
> Marcin
>

Thumb is for arm processors, not for intel x86. If libmeegotouch
is compiled for fremantle with thumb then this is reason why it
segfaults.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar [at] gmail
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


marmistrz at linux

Jul 22, 2012, 1:31 AM

Post #6 of 8 (488 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

According to this:
http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?t=84829 thumb != thumb2.
Will thumb in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS enable thumb or thumb2? As I compiled
sqlite3 without changing the variable and works ok.
--
Marcin



2012/7/19 Pali Rohár <pali.rohar [at] gmail>

> On Thursday 19 July 2012 10:18:49 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> > Yes, it's in FREMANTLE_ARMEL. In FREMANTLE_X86,
> > $DEB_BUILD_FLAGS is blank. It may be why there's a problem
> > with libmeegotouch (segfaults and etc.), as libmeegotouch is
> > in non-free
> > --
> > Marcin
> >
>
> Thumb is for arm processors, not for intel x86. If libmeegotouch
> is compiled for fremantle with thumb then this is reason why it
> segfaults.
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar [at] gmail
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
>


freemangordon at abv

Jul 22, 2012, 3:43 AM

Post #7 of 8 (494 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

thumb in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS does not enable anything, but there are packages, who check for that in their debian/rules file and pass -mthumb to compiler if found(modest, HAM and osso-gnome-vfs for example).


-mthumb passed to gcc enables thumb2 instruction set, as the other options tell the compiler that CPU is arm7.

Ivo

-------- Оригинално писмо --------
От: Marcin Mielniczuk
Относно: Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation!
До: List for community development
Изпратено на: Неделя, 2012, Юли 22 11:31:21 EEST


According to this:
http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?t=84829
thumb != thumb2. Will thumb in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS enable thumb or thumb2? As I compiled sqlite3 without changing the variable and works ok.

-- Marcin



2012/7/19 Pali Rohár pali.rohar [at] gmail >


On Thursday 19 July 2012 10:18:49 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:

> Yes, it's in FREMANTLE_ARMEL. In FREMANTLE_X86,

> $DEB_BUILD_FLAGS is blank. It may be why there's a problem

> with libmeegotouch (segfaults and etc.), as libmeegotouch is

> in non-free

> --

> Marcin

>



Thumb is for arm processors, not for intel x86. If libmeegotouch

is compiled for fremantle with thumb then this is reason why it

segfaults.



--

Pali Rohár

pali.rohar [at] gmail
_______________________________________________

maemo-community mailing list

maemo-community [at] maemo

https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


marmistrz at linux

Jul 22, 2012, 3:46 AM

Post #8 of 8 (498 views)
Permalink
Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation! [In reply to]

Thanks
--
Marcin



2012/7/22 Ивайло Димитров <freemangordon [at] abv>

> thumb in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS does not enable anything, but there are
> packages, who check for that in their debian/rules file and pass -mthumb to
> compiler if found(modest, HAM and osso-gnome-vfs for example).
>
> -mthumb passed to gcc enables thumb2 instruction set, as the other options
> tell the compiler that CPU is arm7.
>
> Ivo
>
> -------- Оригинално писмо --------
> От: Marcin Mielniczuk **
> Относно: Re: Everybody please fix bug in your scratchbox installation!
> До: List for community development **
> Изпратено на: Неделя, 2012, Юли 22 11:31:21 EEST
>
>
>
> According to this:
> http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?t=84829 thumb !=
> thumb2.
> Will thumb in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS enable thumb or thumb2? As I compiled
> sqlite3 without changing the variable and works ok.
> --
> Marcin
>
>
>
> 2012/7/19 Pali Rohár **<pali.rohar [at] gmail<http://../servlet/sendmess?ac=sab&to=pali.rohar [at] gmail>
> >**
>
>> On Thursday 19 July 2012 10:18:49 Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
>> > Yes, it's in FREMANTLE_ARMEL. In FREMANTLE_X86,
>> > $DEB_BUILD_FLAGS is blank. It may be why there's a problem
>> > with libmeegotouch (segfaults and etc.), as libmeegotouch is
>> > in non-free
>> > --
>> > Marcin
>> >
>>
>> Thumb is for arm processors, not for intel x86. If libmeegotouch
>> is compiled for fremantle with thumb then this is reason why it
>> segfaults.
>> **
>> --
>> Pali Rohár
>> pali.rohar [at] gmail<http://../servlet/sendmess?ac=sab&to=pali.rohar [at] gmail>
>> **
>> _______________________________________________
>> maemo-community mailing list
>> maemo-community [at] maemo<http://../servlet/sendmess?ac=sab&to=maemo-community [at] maemo>
>> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>>
>>
> ****
>
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
>

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.