Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Maemo Community Awards

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kenneth at meta

Maemo Community Awards

Hello, maemo.org!

I'm nominating myself for the Maemo Community Awards. I would like a
device, because I need one with more headroom than the N900 in terms of
horsepower for various experiments (either the N950 or N9 will do, as they
both share the same CPU).

I really hope that I can get one, as I have lots of free time on my hands,
and really want to be able to give back my efforts to the Maemo community

Signed,
Hurrian

pali.rohar at gmail

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hello,

my name is Pavol Rohár, I'm from Slovakia and people from Maemo
Community know me under name Pali. I'm using nickname Pali as my
maemo.org and TMO account. Also I'm Pali on #maemo IRC Freenode
channel. I'm Maemo/N900 user and developer for 2 years.

I'm applying for device N950 in category Community Awards for my
work which I done for people around Maemo and Nokia devices.

For Maemo/N900 I'm developing more applications. All are open
source with free license. Here is list of some:

* Fanoush BootMenu:
It is on-screen bootmenu which can start other init script/daemon
then default /sbin/init stored in maemo rootfs. For example it
can boot Maemo system from eMMC/SD card or start Recovery Console
Mode. Also it is essential script for BackupMenu application.
Original version was written by Fanoush, now I'm maintaining it.
I fixed more bugs, added support for USB mass storage support or
better USB network mode (with dhcp/avahi support).
Download page:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/bootmenu/
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/bootmenu/
Garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/bootmenu/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74720

* Recovery Console Mode:
This is menu entry for BootMenu which launch framebuffer recovery
console mode. It is full linux console under framebuffer, so it
can be used for hotfixing problems. Useful when Maemo system is
unbootable, but BootMenu will start and allow user to choose boot
entry.
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/recovery-boot/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72726

* Kernel power:
I think everybody know what is Linux Kernel. Kernel Power has
enabled additional modules (ipv6, iptables, other filesystems),
usb host mode, overclock and more patches from upstream or other
community people (who fixed more kernel problems, thanks
Freemangordon!). I took maintaining of Kernel Power after Titan
did not have time for it. Last version v50 of Kernel Power is
stable, has fixed more problems and very popular in community.
Download page: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/kernel-
power-flasher/
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power-
flasher/
Garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kernel-power/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83118

PS: I think everybody knows that last version is not in Maemo
Extras repository (and on Download page) due to some repository
problems. After year it is still not fixed and I cannot promote
package. I will be very happy if somebody can fix repository
problems and promote v50 to Extras...

* bq2415x charging kernel module:
Battery charging in Nokia N900 is done by non-free user-space
closed undocumented unconfigurable application crap BME. I'm
working on proper charger driver in kernel which will charge
battery and support boost mode for usb host mode. This will be
kernel open source replacement for BME. When kernel driver will
ready it will be included in kernel-power.

* bq27x00 battery kernel module:
bq27200 chip which is in Nokia N900 is battery monitor chip. It
reports current, voltage, capacity and other values. On Maemo
system this chip is not used, because Maemo use only BME for
battery support and BME counting battery capacity somehow (nobody
know how). But other applications can use information from this
chip and this kernel driver. I updated this kernel driver which
use standard power supply kernel interface and I upstreamed all
changes into upstream kernel. Driver is available in kernel power
but disabled by default because cannot live together with BME.
Either BME or bq27x00_battery driver can be started.

* U-Boot for Nokia N900:
U-Boot is bootloader which can boot other bootloaders or linux
kernel. With previous code by Ali I'm doing on upstreaming U-Boot
Nokia N900 support. U-Boot is essential part for supporting
booting other systems then Maemo on N900. It is maybe only one
solution for dual booting. Now is U-Boot stored in mtd kernel
area (and loaded by NoLo), but maybe one day U-Boot will replace
closed source unconfigurable NoLo bootloader. Current version has
working on-screen BootMenu which is useful for dual boot for
choosing system.
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613

* Open source cold flasher:
I decrypted, disassembled and reverse engineered protocol (it was
not easy) which is used for cold flashing Nokia N900. Cold
flashing is flashing/starting new bootloader when previous in
N900 was erased/damaged. Without bootloader (X-Loader or NoLo)
device will not start and it is not possible to flash via normal
method. Cold flashing sending bootloader image via USB at early
board startup. I created open source tool which can cold flash
N900 bootloader (both X-Loader and NoLo) as equivalent to
proprietary functionality in flasher-3.5 tool. My tool is
complete, I think stable and working fine. Maybe it can be one
day merged with 0xFFFF tool (0pen Free Fiasco Firmware Flasher)
for regular flashing.
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80840

* Open source getbootstate:
I reverse engineered closed source Nokia program getbootstate.
This program is started at early booting and is responsible for
entering correct boot state. It is critical part of booting,
because can shutdown device (MALF state) and is executed before
init daemon. So this program can decide if N900 is not bootable.
I created open source alternative to this program (based on
opened Meego/Harmattan sources and reverse engineered data) which
should work as closed program. So if my open source alternative
decide that N900 is not bootable other people can look into
source code and find real reason why device is not bootable.
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73792

* Stratagus & Wargus:
Stratagus is open source game engine for strategic games. Wargus
are lua scripts and other helper programs for Stratagus which
clone old and famous Warcraft II game by Blizzard. So Wargus is
open source clone of Warcraft II game. Now I'm current maintainer
of both projects Stratagus and Wargus and I ported them to Nokia
N900. Upstream projects have N900 support included so code is not
divergented and version is releasing for Desktop and N900
together.
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/wargus/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60678

* Locale resolver config:
Locale recover is Nokia database (with own format) where is
stored all languages which appear on "first run" welcome
configure screen. Locale resolver config is small but powerful
script which can modify this database and add new language. By
default only languages supported by Nokia are on this list (so
3rd languages cannot be chose at welcome screen). This script can
be added to debian/postinst of 3rd language packages.
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/locale-resolver-
config/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81848

* Slovak localization:
I'm Slovak, so I contributed also to Slovak localization project
(but big thanks to Roman who translated majority of strings!). I
also added above Locale resolver config, because Nokia did not
included Slovak language in their language database.
Download page: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/slovak-
l10n/
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/slovak-l10n/
Garage page: http://garage.maemo.org/projects/slovak-l10n/

* mDNS support:
I created package which install and configure Maemo system for
mDNS support. mDNS is multicast DNS and translate host name to ip
addresses without central authority. Useful when connecting from
N900 to computer without need to know IP address (just hostname).
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/mdns-support/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82397

* Battery widget:
Battery is simple desktop widget which show current status of
battery. I changed code of this widget to support both values
from BME and also from bq27x00_battery kernel module. Widget is
useful for usb host mode when BME must be stopped (it will read
values from bq27x00_battery driver and show battery status also
when usb host mode is active)
Download page: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/battery/
Package page: http://maemo.org/packages/view/battery/
TMO thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57975

* USSD
I created patches for USSD project which fixed some problems. For
example to show small ussd dialog as reply in Phone application
(instead starting external qussd application and wait until is
started) or fixing problem with freezing desktop widget (when
widget waiting for bad process, so create unix zombies).

* OMP
OMP is open media player which is replacement for closed nokia
player. I sent some patches which added support for N900 wired
headset button and auto pause media player when bluetooth or
wired headset is disconnected. Both features are implemented in
OMP and do not need to install any other applications/daemons
(like headphoned or headset-control).
TMO thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1181098#post1181098

Community SSU:
Except Extras applications I'm also developer of small CSSU team.
I contributed more patches to CSSU. Some of my CSSU
contributions:

* Calculator:
I written open source replacement for original closed Nokia
Calculator. My replacement support portrait mode and is written
in Qt. Calculator is stable and is included in CSSU for long
time.
Git repository: http://gitorious.org/community-ssu/osso-
calculator

* TV-out widgets:
Based on previous Ville work I created control panel and status
menu applet for configuring additional TV-out properties like
16:9 wide mode or scaling output. Status menu applet is visible
when TV-out connection is active.
Git repository: http://gitorious.org/community-ssu/maemo-tvout-
control

* ke-recv:
ke-recv is daemon responsible for auto mounting MyDocs (eMMC), SD
card and now also usb flash disks in usb host mode. I changed ke-
recv code to support:
- other filesystems (original version support only FAT32, so SD
card had to be FAT32)
- more partitions then one (original version mount only first
partition, now mount all)
- auto mount usb disks in usb host mode (original version did not
care about usb disks)
Git repository: http://gitorious.org/community-ssu/ke-recv

* Others:

For Maemo Community I got special piece of Nokia software which
was closed until Dec 2011. It is Nokia Certification Manager
control panel plugin which is now open source under LGPL license.
Before plugin was closed source and had very critical bug: It
showed blacklisted certificates as valid! Now this bug is fixed
and after I got source code, Nokia decided to open this plugin
and publish source code to gitorious.
TMO announcement: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79957
Public git repository: http://gitorious.org/maemo-5-certificate-
manager/maemo-security-certman-applet/

Also useful for open source community are my scripts which
created list of all open and closed maemo fremantle packages.
More information is in TMO thread on
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75174
These scripts were used to generate wiki page about all closed
packages in Maemo 5 Fremantle system:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages
Some of packages on this page were opened and for some same
version as is in Fremantle can be found in gitorious git
repositories (see green packages).
Before, there was no page or list of all real closed source non
free package in Fremantle. And for open source community is
needed to know what parts of system are open and what not.

Except Maemo Extras/CSSU applications I'm active person in TMO
discussions, on #maemo IRC channel and via my private email. I'm
trying to help people if they asked me or have some problems.

In future I want to continue developing and maintaining above
applications, finish N900 kernel battery charging driver, develop
and upstream N900 port of U-Boot and contribute to CSSU.

If I get new device I will not stop doing for Maemo 5/Nokia N900.
Because Nokia N900 is really brilliant :-)

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar [at] gmail

ivgalvez at gmail

Re: Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi Pali,

I must say, that it's a pleasure to precess your nomination.

You didn't really need to add a resume... [?]

Ivn Glvez Junquera
Attachments: 347.png (0.62 KB)

my_name_24 at hotmail

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hello,

My name is Maurice Fakhry and I'm from lebanon . My username on talk.maemo.org is myname24 (http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=58544) and the same for maemo.org account (maemo.org/profile/view/myname24/) . I am a N9 user since november 2011 and joined meego.com forums but eventually I joined TMO because it's far more active. I am applying for Nokia N950 in the community award category .
I tested all major new apps and projects in alpha or beta quality like nitdroid and fm radio and widgets and wazapp submitted bugs in harmattan bugzilla and fennec bugzilla ( back button in menu now fixed ) and I have translated UC Browser (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81604) and I helped some users and I can help more with my arabic language .
I'm not a developer and I have not received N9/N950 device
before .

Best regards,
Maurice Fakhry

bulfaiter at gmail

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi!

My name is Simn Pena. I'm from Spain, and I started getting involved
with Maemo when I bought an N800, back in 2008. I didn't start
developing for Maemo until the end of 2009 / beginning of 2010, when a
friend of mine and I started "Maevies"[1], an IMDB-like application
for the N900.

While Maevies still stays in extras-devel, when the N9 was launched I
applied to the Developer Device Program, to get it ported to Harmattan
(under the name Butaca). I received an N950, and successfully ported
that app (now available for free in the Nokia Ovi Store[2]), and with
some updates almost ready for another release.

Besides Butaca, I developed several other applications, mostly using
Qt Quick: a public transportation app for my city (A Corua)[4], a client
for a popular news promoting website in Spain[5], a client for the
Spanish Royal Academy dictionary[6], an XKCD comic reader[3], and the very
successful Mahjong game[7].

Except the Mahjong one (and because it's out of my reach to do it),
all my applications are Open Source, available in Gitorious /
GitHub. All of them are also free for download in the Nokia Ovi
Store(**). I think this is important, because I've already used several
APIs, (Qt Quick, Maps, QtSql, QML's offline storage...), so I think
they are great examples for other people developing for Harmattan.

The applications are quite popular and well received, with more than
25000 downloads and very positive ratings (>4 stars). I'm also using
Transifex for translations (help is always welcomed!).

While I work for Igalia, I've carried all this development on my own
free time: only the Mahjong was done on paid hours.

Links to my maemo profiles: http://maemo.org/profile/view/spenap/ and
http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=19644. Since I already have an
N950, I'm applying for an N9.

available in gitorious: https://gitorious.org/butaca/ and
http://maemo.org/packages/view/maevies/

[2]: Butaca, http://spenap.github.com/butaca/ and
http://store.ovi.com/content/195876/

[3]: XKCD Reader, https://gitorious.org/spena-playground/xmcr and
http://store.ovi.com/content/205765

[4]: Por Corunha, http://spenap.github.com/porcorunha/ and
http://store.ovi.com/content/262503

[5]: Meneamigo, https://gitorious.org/spena-playground/meneamigo and
http://store.ovi.com/content/200577

[6]: Diccionario RAE,
https://gitorious.org/spena-playground/diccionariorae and
http://store.ovi.com/content/216408

[7]: Mahjong, http://store.ovi.com/content/257391

** I'm still developing new apps, and I might charge them, even if I
would still publish them as Open Source: advanced users can still
download and build their software.

christian_ratzenhofer at yahoo

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hello,

I'm applying for a N950 since I already own a N9.

My main contribution to the community is my work on the CSSU, though
on the way I've helped with various packages and user problems on IRC.

maemo.org profile:
http://maemo.org/profile/view/merlin1991/

Regards,
Christian Ratzenhofer

freemangordon at abv

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi,

I am applying for N950.

My profile is http://maemo.org/profile/view/freemangordon

My contribution to the community was in terms of some low level/kernel hacking:
720p support on n900, kernel development and backporting
( DSP driver, compcache, SmartReflex driver stability improvements, bug chasing, etc) for kernel-power.

I am also a CSSU developer: portrait support in task navigator, patches to Qt, hildon-desktop, modest, etc.

Also I wrote extkbd and extmou packages - support for USB/Bluetooth HID devices attached to n900.

Regards,
Ivaylo Dimitrov

trlopes1974 at gmail

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

I would apply for a Nokia N9 or N950 :D .
I'm an every day reader, tester and sometimes contributor of maemo.
Love my n900 that took me 6 month of hard labor to get the money for it.
No
regrets.
I do am sorry for not being more skilled in programing and not having
more
spare time. (installed QTdesigner 4 weeks ago and still no time to make
helloworld )
This is the link to my maemo.org profile
http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=48393:
Despite knowing that many other users contibute much more than me to the
community, I feel that somehow I might be lucky and get the feeling of a
newer device on my hands.
Really hope some luck falls on me.
Keep on the good work!
Regards
Tiago.

Ps: sorry for double posting. the first post was a reply to other user
submission.

vasvlad at gmail

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi,
My name is Vlad Vasilyeu (my nickname is vasvlad
http://maemo.org/profile/view/vasvlad/)
I have been a member since 2007.
My main project for Nokia 770/800/810/N900 is OMWeather
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/omweather/
And for N9/N900 is MeeCast
http://store.ovi.com/content/209052
http://apps.formeego.org/applications/n9/pr1.0/harmattan/Other/meecast/
Also I developed Live Wallpaper for N900
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/live-wallpaper/
and Mnemosyne for Maemo http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/mnemosyne/
Along with these key projects I've also participated in porting X
Screensavers http://wiki.maemo.org/Xscreensaver (for example Sherman's
Aquarium https://garage.maemo.org/projects/shermanaquarium/) and Dictd
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/dictd/

Since I already have N950, I'm applying for Nokia N9.

Vlad.

holgernahrstaedt at gmx

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hello,
I'm applying for any device (N9 or N950), as i am owning only an N900.

My contribution for the community is that i updated and maintain several
game packages for the N900. I had to test the new packages and to
rewrite all the patches for the N900.

I updated the following packages

* Free Heroes 2 ( fheroes2) a Free implementation of Heroes of the
Might and Magic to the newest version

* Freeciv ( freeciv-client-sdl, freeciv-data, freeciv-dev,
freeciv-server) a Civilization turn based strategy game from 2.1.10 to 2.3.2

* The Battle For Wesnoth (wesnoth) A Free, turn-based tactical
strateg from 1.6.5 to 1.10.2

* CorsixTH (corsixth) An Open source clone of Theme Hospital from
0.0.0-beta5 to 0.0.1b

* Widelands (widelands) a Settlers II alike fantasy real-time strategy
game from 15 to 17

* openttd (openttd) A Clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe from 1.0.1 to
1.2.0

I created also the following packages for N900
* DejaVu Fonts
<http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-testing_free_armel/ttf-dejavu/2.25-maemo1/>
(ttf-dejavu)
* Globulation 2 (glob2) An innovative state-of-the-art Real Time
Strategy (RTS) game
* libglew1.5 - The OpenGL Extension Wrangler
* gcalci - Google Calendar Command Line Interface
* xu4 - Ultima IV remake
* 2 tiles packages for freeciv

My maemo.org profile :
http://maemo.org/profile/view/holgern/

Best regards
Holger Nahrstaedt

tj.groenen at gmail

Jun 11, 2012, 1:44 PM

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi there,

I would like to nominate myself for the Community Awards. I am applying for a
N950, though I'd gladly accept a N9 as well.

My nickname at TMO and maemo.org is iDont[1][2]

A short overview of my contributions to the community:
* Busybox-power[3] - upstream BusyBox for Fremantle.
It supplies the user with a _lot_ more utilities and features that are not
found in the stock BusyBox binary. A lot of Maemo bugs are also squashed,
either by upstream or patches that I wrote myself (e.g. #5317, #3582, #5978,
#2918, #4174, #4175, #12211, and a few more, but also bugs reported on TMO).
A lot of work is put in porting, (regression) testing and packaging to make
the (un)installation as safe & easy as possible. Some work also
went upstream.

* Making Maemo accept other filesystems than ext3 for /home.
Maemo gets into a reboot loop after changing the FS for /home. I wanted to
change the FS for performance reasons, although there are other legitimate
use cases as well. After failing initially, a Nokian "applauding [my] efforts
to brick [my] device" on #maemo, and lots of debugging sessions, I managed
to get it working, and published the results in Maemo's wiki[4].

* kernel-bfs[5] - kernel-power + BFS, -ck patchset, and a few others.
I've done a bit of kernel hacking alongside Peter Hunt and Corey O'Connor,
experimenting with Con Kolivas' patches to try to improve responsiveness and
interactivity on the N900. Unfortunately, kernel-bfs failed to provide a
viable alternative to kernel-power, and I've lost interest in it. Some work
however has been included in kernel-power, namely free swap page callback
patch (for compcache) and ext4 fixes.

* Some various stuff like: porting reiser4progs and its dependencies, Geeqie
(pretty much a straight port), some contributions on TMO and to a lesser
extend on IRC, and a few wiki contributions.

I've written down a bit more than I had intended to, hopefully you don't mind.

Regards,
--Dennis

[1] http://maemo.org/profile/view/idont/
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=39604
[3] http://maemo.org/packages/view/busybox-power/
[4] http://wiki.maemo.org/Changing_the_eMMC_filesystem
[5] https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kernel-bfs/

opax.gm at gmail

Jun 12, 2012, 2:13 PM

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hello everybody,

my name is Ahcene Boubekki (opax on maemo.org
<http://maemo.org/profile/view/opax/>). I used to be a Maemo/N900
user/developer for 2 years before my phone passed away... An issue
with the screen..

Anyway now I have a N9.

I ve developed pyqt apps for maemo : Rtap
<http://maemo.org/packages/view/rtap/>, maenope
<http://maemo.org/packages/view/maenope/>, and maecard (A business
card manager).

I ve ported Rtap and maenope (now Pinehole Meter) to Harmattan thanks
to Qt/QML (you can find them on nokia store
<http://store.ovi.com/publisher/Opax/>) and I ve planned to port
maecard this summer.
But before this i am working on a SMS Scheduler for Harmattan to
schedule sms sending. You can find the source on my garage
<https://garage.maemo.org/users/opax/>.

I have also work on the portrait mode of the Map application of N900
<http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69885>.
And when I ll get time I ve planned to work on synchronization with desktop..

I love my n9 but i really miss a keyboard to do my small hacks as I
used to do with my N900.
So i'm applying for a N950 for the keyboard but also to have a dev
device and to push a little bit more my hacks without being scared of
losing my datas (as it almost happend recently).
But If I get a N9 it will also be great!

Thank you and sorry for my broken english

Ahcene Boubekki

calvaris at igalia

Jun 15, 2012, 2:14 AM

Maemo Community Awards [In reply to]

Hi folks:

My name is Xabier Rodrguez and I am from Galicia/Spain. Many people
know me as "calvaris" on communities and social networks.

My first maemo device was a Nokia N810 though I had already been doing
some work for the N800 to the N9.

Besides my private contributions, I also have some public ones, like:

* MAFW, which is the framework empowering the official multimedia
player of the N900. It allows gathering multimedia content from
different sources and playing them by using playlist support and
so on. [1]
* Hildon Widgets, I was one of the developers and among my
contributions I worked on the pannable area and actually
implemented the copy&paste feature in widgets like the
HildonTextArea and GtkHTML used in Modest, the email client. [2]
* Aura: developer of an application to record videos with funnny
effects for the N9/N950. [3]

[1] https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mafw
[2] https://garage.maemo.org/projects/hildon
[3] http://igalia.github.com/aura/

Apart from these, I also have some other smaller contributions, such as:

* MAFW-Grilo-source [4], which is a bridge bringing the power of
Grilo (a similar projecto MAFW) plugins to MAFW, thus, to the
N900 official media player.
* Some commits to MAFW-lastfm, which was a daemon to listen to
MAFW playback changes at the N900 and submit them to your
Last.fm profile. [5]
* Some commits in Vagalume [6], a lastfm player for the N900.

[4] http://maemo.org/packages/view/mafw-grilo-source/
[5]
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mafw-lastfm/contributors/1899586725766143/commits
[6] https://www.ohloh.net/p/vagalume/contributors/60413010142207/commits

I would like to apply for a Nokia N9 and please, have a look at my Ohloh
profile [7] to have more information and check my blog that is also at
Planet Maemo [8].

[7] https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/calvaris
[8] http://blogs.igalia.com/xrcalvar/category/planets/planet-maemo/

Thanks to everybody!