Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

N9 device seeding activity

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

quim.gil at nokia

N9 device seeding activity

Hi,

Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:

- Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
Store. There is a source of inspiration at
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333

- Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9

If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
these tracks:

- Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
apps.formeego.org / etc.

- Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.

What do you think?

Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
could help wherever needed.

If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.

(*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
(surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
few units).

--
Quim

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:32, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
> What do you think?

How can it not be a great idea?

We'd need to agree on a set of criteria for choosing the fortunate candidates.

A Wiki page where candidates will add their own and from which the
Council (?) will pick the fortunate ones. Much like it was done for
the Raspberry Pi.

Aniello

willie.pretorius at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 19-4-2012 17:32, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two
> lines of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the
> Nokia Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing
> feedback to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related
> to these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate
> developers, using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The
> criteria and selection of recipients could be done by the community
> itself, and I could help wherever needed.
>
> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
>
> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just
> a few units).
>
> --
> Quim

Hi Quim, This is a really excellent idea!

--
Vriendelike groete/Vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Willie Pretorius
Rotterdam, Nederland.
Twitter : http://twitter.com/WilliePre
: http://twitter.com/brokwollie (alleen Afrikaans)
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/wjpretorius

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

19. huhtikuuta 2012 18.44 Willie Pretorius
<willie.pretorius [at] gmail>kirjoitti:

> On 19-4-2012 17:32, Quim Gil wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of
>> work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at http://www.developer.nokia.**
>> com/Community/Wiki/Apps_**Missing<http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing>
>> http://talk.maemo.org/**showthread.php?t=83333<http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333>
>>
>> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>> developers at http://qt-project.org & http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_**
>> 5_on_Nokia_N9 <http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9>
>>

>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>> these tracks:
>>
>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>
>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>

>> What do you think?

A very good idea. I'd bet that no one in the community has any objections
to this :)

>> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and the
>> infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers, using
>> the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
>> selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I could
>> help wherever needed.
>>
>> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
>> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
>> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier will
>> be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.

I would emphasize past contributions like testing, applications written for
maemo/meego, community activities, etc. when selecting the recipients (but
not only the past). Basically pretty much the same way that the n950 devkit
and rasbpi things were done having the candidate listing in the public, for
example in maemo wiki. I'd ask the candidates to provide the following
details: name, username, link to maemo.org profile, past contributions,
current activities, plans with the device if selected. And naturally the
task of choosing the recipients goes to the council.

Really hoping to see this boost the developer activity around maemo.org.

-Timo

>> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
>> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a few
>> units).

I could change my n950 with a broken screen :) no seriously, the lucky ones
getting it be careful not to drop it. the screen is a bit sensitive to
falling..

-Timo

> --
>> Quim
>>

> Hi Quim, This is a really excellent idea!
>
> --
> Vriendelike groete/Vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,
>
> Willie Pretorius
> Rotterdam, Nederland.
> Twitter : http://twitter.com/WilliePre
> : http://twitter.com/brokwollie (alleen Afrikaans)
> LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/**wjpretorius<http://www.linkedin.com/in/wjpretorius>

erik at hovland

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work where
> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
> developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?

I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much like
the previous seeding.

Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

khertan at khertan

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 19/04/2012 19:58, Erik Hovland wrote:
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
>> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work where
>> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable& interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>>
>> - Encouraging developers to port& develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>> developers at http://qt-project.org&
>> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>>

>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>> these tracks:
>>
>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>
>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>

>> What do you think?
>>
> I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much like
> the previous seeding.
>
> Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

EXCELLENT NEWS !

Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
distribute a second one to the same people.

A n950 user :)

--
Benoît HERVIER - http://khertan.net/

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

2012/4/19 Benoît HERVIER <khertan [at] khertan>:
> On 19/04/2012 19:58, Erik Hovland wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
>>> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work
>>> where
>>> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>>
>>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable&  interesting apps to the Nokia
>>>
>>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>>>
>>> - Encouraging developers to port&  develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>>>
>>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>>> developers at http://qt-project.org&
>>> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>>>

>>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>>> these tracks:
>>>
>>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>>
>>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>>

>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much
>> like
>> the previous seeding.
>>
>> Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>
> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
> distribute a second one to the same people.
>
> A n950 user :)

I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p

--
anidel

erik at hovland

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

>> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>>
>> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
>> distribute a second one to the same people.
>>
>> A n950 user :)
>>

> I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p

Don't let a few hundred N9s and a couple N950s change your mind.
Worthiness will far outstrip supply!

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

tim at samoff

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi,

In playing Devil's Advocate, though...

What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
Nokia...?

I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
of the offering?

Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?

I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?

Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
development?

Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:

A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
failure.

We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
direction with new prospects and new community members.

Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
hinder.

Br,
Tim

--
http://samoff.com

Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
> of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
> to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
> using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
> selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
> could help wherever needed.
>
> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
>
> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
> few units).
>
> --
> Quim

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

19. huhtikuuta 2012 21.53 Tim Samoff <tim [at] samoff> kirjoitti:

> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...
>
> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?

As I understood it prepares for the future in addition to letting people
learn and work on the current things.

> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?
>
> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?
>
> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?
>
> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?

yep. at least I see Qt as one of the main things with this. (disclaimer: I
see Qt everywhere :) )

> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

dunno about the long run but helps to get something else than whining going
on in the community (not saying you are a whiner or claiming that everyone
is a whiner - there just seems to be a lot of it in the air around here).
As I see it this gives people within the community possibilities and as a
side product the larger community might benefit from it.

> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.

+1

> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

+1 but I don't see the harm of letting people work on the older stuff if
it's plausible and they feel it's worth their time and effort. I'm sure
we'll see comments that this is wrong and all the community efforts should
go into n900 related things, etc.

> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.

No need for an apology. At least I like seeing comments like this. They are
the ones that really make you think and assert your own views on a subject.

BR,

Timo

> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.
>
> Br,
> Tim
>
> --
> http://samoff.com
>

> Quim Gil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> > centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
> > of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
> >
> > - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> > Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> > http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> > http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
> >
> > - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> > familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
> > to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> > http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
> >

> > If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> > these tracks:
> >
> > - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> > apps.formeego.org / etc.
> >
> > - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
> >

> > What do you think?
> >
> > Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> > the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
> > using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
> > selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
> > could help wherever needed.
> >
> > If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> > recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> > during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> > will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
> >
> > (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> > (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
> > few units).
> >
> > --
> > Quim

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 04/19/2012 11:53 AM, ext Tim Samoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...

Fair enough. :) Let's see.

> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?
>
> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?

The two points stated in my first email? More and better Qt 4 mobile
apps and a first wave of mobile developers trying to compile their apps
to Qt 5 and see what happens. More apps for current Qt 5 users and
better quality for the Qt 5 libraries.

Honestly, why is it bad to have ad-hoc action driven by a couple of
tangible short term goals, executed in a couple of months? Followed by a
review after the Summer to see what people actually did and how useful
the activity actually was.

> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?

Do we need to turn every community activity in a tech blog post
discussion? :) A N9 device seeding program can focus on the N9 users
out there using the SDK and the store(s) for the N9.

If someone wants to play wider there are other Qt friendly platforms
around. If someone want to play further there is bleeding edge Qt 5.

If someone wants to simply argue or rant about then s/he is free not
joining the program and put the energies in some TMO threads, elsewhere
or nowhere.

The alternative is not doing this program - which I have exposed in my
first mail.

> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?

The little I have learned about software development is that it is one
of the best activities to think about the future. :)

Honestly, if you want to be fit for Qt 5 the best you can do is to be
fit for Qt 4 mobile (Qt Quick / Qt WebKit).

> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?

I hope so. This is not a discount shop.

> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

We are getting philosophical here, but my take in long term strategy is
that a succession of short term successes should lead to a long term
success. There must be other ways but I'd rather have fun with this
approach. Anyway, this is an open community so probably the only real
strategic approach.

> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.

"Now you're talking!" - said the Qt Project guy.

> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

A future... and a present!

> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.
>
> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.

PS: that was my dose of debating with devil's advocates - and only
because I owe a beer or two to Tim. There are many re-run rants that can
come in relation to this program but I'm not planning to engage in any
of those - unless it is a new argument worth addressing. That is why I
started asking whether you want this program or not. If you want it then
it's your program. Nokia will fund the devices and their distribution.

--
Quim

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

TO EVERYBODY SENDING ME PRIVATE EMAILS ASKING FOR A DEVICE:

Don't do it. I have answered the first 3 (pointing them to this thread)
and I will delete the rest.

You can wait or contribute to the current discussion and you can apply
whenever there is a process to do it.

If you are good in Qt development you can also try via
http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use/ambassadors/qtambassador/ , a program that
doesn't have contests or deadlines and has already a form to apply.

On 04/19/2012 11:31 AM, ext Benoît HERVIER wrote:

> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
> distribute a second one to the same people.

Ultimately the distribution of devices will be done using the same
backend used for the N950 device program. Still someone could trick it,
I'm sure, but really exposing him/herself to a negative and a lot of
public shame.

In fact I was thinking of pinging those who got an N950 last Summer,
asking them for the links to their apps. And in fact this time we should
organize an informal review after the Summer to see what apps and other
results we have got thank to this activity. This will help new seeding
programs like this one, and will help those developers actually
delivering on their own plans.

--
Quim

maemo at javispedro

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:32:24 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333

Any reason you are specifically mentioning Nokia Store? I am not a fan of
promoting apps.formeego.org everywhere, but I am even less of a fan of
making new devs think that the Nokia Store should be the destination for
all things.

(Among other things, how are Qt5 apps going to enter the Nokia Store?)

I understand that there might be a reasoning behind it (e.g. Nokia
Developer pays :) ). But if there is no such reasoning I suggest dropping
the requirement.

Other than this nitpicking, the idea is of course welcomed and will
certainly bring new people with renewed interest.

Javier.

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 04/19/2012 02:32 PM, ext Javier S. Pedro wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:32:24 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable& interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> Any reason you are specifically mentioning Nokia Store? I am not a fan of
> promoting apps.formeego.org everywhere, but I am even less of a fan of
> making new devs think that the Nokia Store should be the destination for
> all things.

I was talking about the motivation of Nokia. While I won't try to
convince *you* about publishing at the Nokia Store, I remember that the
problems for individuals publishing in Ovi was a topic that generated A
LOT of heated discussions. Nowadays those problems are solved, why not
use that infrastructure?

Then you have the apps that are more experimental, rely on Developer
Mode, etc. Fine, those are welcome too in this program - and clearly not
in the Nokia Store.

This is not stopping anybody for using apps.formeego.org as well. As a
side note, this is just the peak of a strategic discussion about the
role of community / unofficial stores in the times when publishing imn
official stores is simple and practical. Something for another thread.

> (Among other things, how are Qt5 apps going to enter the Nokia Store?)

Precisely.

> I understand that there might be a reasoning behind it (e.g. Nokia
> Developer pays :) ). But if there is no such reasoning I suggest dropping
> the requirement.

Ok to not make it a requirement, but why not making it a recommendation
for anybody with a stable app installable without developer mode? If we
care about N9 users this is the best way to reach all of them.

> Other than this nitpicking, the idea is of course welcomed and will
> certainly bring new people with renewed interest.

--
Quim

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
> device seeding activity.
>
> What do you think?
>
> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
thread<http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>

Rob

maemo at javispedro

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:54:35 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> I was talking about the motivation of Nokia. While I won't try to
> convince *you* about publishing at the Nokia Store, I remember that the
> problems for individuals publishing in Ovi was a topic that generated A
> LOT of heated discussions. Nowadays those problems are solved, why not
> use that infrastructure?
>
> Then you have the apps that are more experimental, rely on Developer
> Mode, etc. Fine, those are welcome too in this program - and clearly not
> in the Nokia Store.

I was not thinking about experimental applications -- mostly because QA
on AFM is IMHO stricter than QA on the Nokia Store! It is thus not a
place for unstable applications, or applications that require developer
mode*.

On the other hand and for obvious reasons, AFM does encourage open source
applications. I was not sure whether the goal was to promote more
development of open source applications or alternatively a continuation
of the Launchpad program -- where AIUI the more apps the better and it
does not matter if they are commercial or anything else. From your
remarks, I believe that at least your proposed item 1 is more akin to the
latter.

In that case, I have nothing to add.

* (Off-topic remark: Applications that require developer mode will
actually work without it when published to either Nokia Store or AFM.
It's what is not in developer mode that is a "problem". But don't worry,
I already have a device ;P )

> This is not stopping anybody for using apps.formeego.org as well. As a
> side note, this is just the peak of a strategic discussion about the
> role of community / unofficial stores in the times when publishing imn
> official stores is simple and practical. Something for another thread.

Agreed.

> Ok to not make it a requirement, but why not making it a recommendation
> for anybody with a stable app installable without developer mode? If we
> care about N9 users this is the best way to reach all of them.

Not making it a requirement is completely fine by me. Just would like to
ensure that open source applications do not have to either go through
whatever content policies the Nokia Store has these days OR otherwise be
related somehow to Qt5. Removing the requirement adds the IMO necessary
third option.

Thinking loudly, even distributing via a thread on TMO would be a nice
option, if someone was to value communication between community and
developer more than mass distribution.

Javier.

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Tim Samoff <tim [at] samoff> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...
>
> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?
>
> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?
>
> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?
>
> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?
>
> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?
>
> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?
>
> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.
>
> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.
>
> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.
>
> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.
>
> Br,
> Tim

Thank you for your comments. No need to apologize. It's always good to
remember the long term and to contemplate the future. I do that a lot
lately, or more specifically, ponder how to build a bridge to that future
from where we are today. Which is better than last year, when I was simply
pondering how to prevent stagnancy. For every community project, I try to
think as you have mentioned, how does this bring us closer to where we want
to be?

I have posted before implying that free device giveaways can be a
distraction not in keeping with an open source community. And this
proposal does feel a bit like the same old thing being repeated. And
harmattan has in the past seemed like something that was not a path to the
future. But at the same time, denying the present doesn't bring us a new
future. Fact is we don't currently have a mission statement that states
the future we want. So how can this be inconsistent with the as yet
undefined future. It seems like we are in the process of moving to a
community OBS which will integrate harmattan and fremantle and reading all
of Quim's comments in this thread, the proposal does not seem to have a lot
of strings attached. So while I'm now just thinking, I suspect we will
accept it with appreciation for Nokia's goodwill. Remember this offer
could have been made to Qt project or some other place.

p.s. javispedro - thank you also for the good points you have made re app
distribution

Br,
Rob

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>

I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with the
competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the hands
of developers before the summer vacation period?

and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already got
those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in cabable
hands.

Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
getting one.

BR

Timo

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:53, Erik Hovland <erik [at] hovland> wrote:
>>> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>>>
>>> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
>>> distribute a second one to the same people.
>>>
>>> A n950 user :)
>>>

>> I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p
>
> Don't let a few hundred N9s and a couple N950s change your mind.
> Worthiness will far outstrip supply!

:-)
I will swap it for a Pureview 808 :D

Kidding. Perhaps :p

--
anidel

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>

> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>
> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already got
> those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in cabable
> hands.
>
> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
> getting one.

Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
the competition.

I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.

Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Who will organise this years coding competition?

--

Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Don't think I forgot you said you might be too busy ;-).

But I did say I would ask again (no pressure). If you can't do it again,
we'll find one or two persons to step in. And seriously, if you think it
can't be done without you, let's discuss that thoroughly. Anything worth
doing is worth doing well.

Rob

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Who will organise this years coding competition?
>
> --
>
> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>
> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:02:
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

>>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>>

>> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
>> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
>> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>>
>> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already
>> got those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in
>> cabable hands.
>>
>> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
>> getting one.
>>

> Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
> There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
> we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
> the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
> activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
> community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
> really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
> than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
> the competition.
>
> I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
> one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.
>
> Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Oh no, it can be perfectly done without me. :)

I'm just curious if there's already one who would like to do it...

--

robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:24:
Don't think I forgot you said you might be too busy ;-).

But I did say I would ask again (no pressure). If you can't do it again,
we'll find one or two persons to step in. And seriously, if you think it
can't be done without you, let's discuss that thoroughly. Anything worth
doing is worth doing well.

Rob

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Who will organise this years coding competition?
>
> --
>
> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>
> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:02:
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

>>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>>

>> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
>> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
>> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>>
>> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already
>> got those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in
>> cabable hands.
>>
>> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
>> getting one.
>>

> Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
> There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
> we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
> the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
> activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
> community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
> really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
> than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
> the competition.
>
> I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
> one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.
>
> Rob

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Well, probably not "perfectly" How many N9s do you think we should set
aside as prizes? Please let us know if you have a recommendation for who
should do it this year.

Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Last time we had 9 N9s, and 9 or 10 N900s. Plus some Intel MeeGo devices
which weren't announced as prizes and went to developers who already were
able to show something.